Options

NLRI What is this?

FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
Can anyone simple explain what this.

Currently from what I'm reading it exactly the same as a prefix......
192.168.1.0/24 = NLRI

If BGP advertises a network/prefix it's called NLRI, correct?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Network Layer Reachability Information. For just an IPv4 prefix that is about all there is to it. When you get into subsequent address families more info is carried.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Network Layer Reachability Information. For just an IPv4 prefix that is about all there is to it. When you get into subsequent address families more info is carried.

Ok, so my conclusion is correct?

NLRI = Prefix =>192.168.0.0/24?
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Like Networker said, that is just for IPv4. For vpnv4 for example, you will have label stack information carried in the NLRI field.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Like Networker said, that is just for IPv4. For vpnv4 for example, you will have label stack information carried in the NLRI field.

I'm going to nitpick a bit here, don't get mad :)

What you are saying is true, but they're not really the same fields. In IPv4, the prefix/prefix-length is carried in the NLRI field:

(BGP update)
    02fig45.gif

But, when you use a non-IPv4 NLRI, that's carried inside the Path Attribute field in the multiprotocol reachability attribute. The RFC calls it MP_REACH_NLRI (Type Code 14). Inside this attribute there's a different NLRI field than the "main" IPv4 NLRI field.
  • Options