Options

WGU & CEH --- Should I just buy Matt Walker Book or use WGU's material too?

GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
Hi guys. What is the best way to pass this class?

I notice a lot of people are buying the Matt Walker CEH - AIO book. Are the people enrolled in the WGU class even reading the course books/chapters?

Should I just buy the book and not even bother with the COS listed?

Or should I read the online books at WGU & watch the iClass videos? Or should I do the Matt Walker book + iClass videos?

I' am trying to get CEH & Linux+ done in one month...so I gotta move quick. All suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    rcsecrcsec Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Morning,
    I'm not enrolled at WGU. I purchased Matt's book, watched Secure Ninja videos on YouTube (took some notes) and ripped the VTC.com videos to mp3 for the drive to work. Even with all the distractions at home I did this <2 months. I know that isn't your time frame, just ensure you lay your hands on a keyboard and understand what he stresses.
  • Options
    Good info!! I need more guys..MORE. lol It looks like I should buy the damm book as I'm seeing the highest pass scores with people who buy the book.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd buy the book and use the Boson from WGU. I think WGU may include the Matt Walker book as well, but I wasn't able to find it and I prefer to read a physical book anyways.

WGU does include a subscription to the EC-Council virtual lab environment, which is a cool opportunity to use all of the tools mentioned throughout the book - steganography, RAT creation, snort, nmap, pretty much any tool that you could think of... all on a virtualized lab space that you can bring up and tear down as often as you want. It includes a Windows Server 2012 machine, a 2008 R2, a Backtrack Linux box, Windows 7, and Windows 8, so you can put up proxy attacks and mess around with things without configuring your own lab environment. I'd definitely recommend using it to get familiarity with the tools, but I would also mention that it is entirely possible to memorize enough information to pass the exam without so much as launching one terminal window.

Side note - if you have the Crypto course through WGU, knock that out first and you won't have any problem with the cryptography portion of the CEH. It definitely helped me memorize block sizes and algorithms, and I had a few questions about those specific topics on my CEH exam.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Just my thoughts-
    WGU material was excessive and the cert didn't seem that valuable to me. I passed it easily after going through the course, never even considered buying an extra book for it.
  • Options
    Ah yes, I've found the Matt Walker AIO book on SkillSoft / Skillport for WGU...now to see how fun it is.

EDIT: The e-text looks pretty ugly...like a dictionary....not good for my ADHD...why can't this stuff be like a comic book?