some questions about pay rate with A+ cert

zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok, right now I work at a grocery store(yeah it really sucks) and my pay is 10.50/hr(also sucks lol)

I have built probably 6 or 7 computers for myself and friends/family etc, and am basically addicted to computing. I figure I should start to actually make an effort to get into the IT world because I can't think of any other type of job I even have the possibility of enjoying. I know that there is a lot more to building/troubleshooting than plugging up ram etc, and I'm studying as much as I can to basically get out of the work hell I am in and into a lesser evil.

One draw for me is the certification system. I will be honest, I hate school. I don't learn anything unless I'm doing it myself. I want to be a professional while not having to put up with school, it just isn't for me.
I've been reading posts saying that techs etc and people with A+ are getting hired for 8-9 dollars/hr? How can I pick stuff up and put it on a shelf and get more, I don't think I could survive on just 8 dollars/hr.

Would someone mind listing a couple of the better A+ careers and possibly the average pay to the best of your knowledge? I want to get A+ certified and move as fast as I can into IT, and continue getting certs while I'm getting experience working entry level until I can move on up to something better. I really want to end up as a network admin or some other higher level IT job, and I'm not exactly sure what position I should try to get first, because if I don't make around what I'm making now I couldn't pay the rent unless I ate ramen noodles every day. btw, on-site stuff is a maybe for me, I'm the worst with directions I might have to get tom tom like someone suggested in another thread. I would also be a little hesitant about on-site with just A+ cert. I mean my computer has never messed up(nm I have windows), I've scored about 65% on the A+ exam here after studying about 3 days and I couldn't just walk up to a random computer and know what is up most likely. Do they give you any training at all when you first begin something like an on-site job? Or do they give you an address and expect you to wing it lol. Someone tell me it's doable.

btw, I've done just a little research online and my certification plan for now is A+ then net+ then Mcsa then Security+. this is based off what some of my teachers at ecpi suggested(i quit because i wasn't learning jack crap, I could have used google and learned more in 15 minutes than what I learned in 2 weeks at ecpi it also isn't 90% hands on like they told me more like 5%) and what some of my friend's teachers aka mentors or whatever at techskills suggested. Is this more or less on the right track for getting started?

I think I have a good chance in the field, I scored a 100% on ecpi's entrance exam(felt like a 4th grade competency test to be honest had nothing to do with anything computer related) and was in the college of engineering at nc state but I stopped going. I cannot stand how our education system works, I hate it. But anyway any suggestions or any info on anything I've talked about will help me out.

Comments

• kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    To be quite honest, the A+ certification might make you more attractive as an applicant, but it won't translate to more money. A+ is an entry level certification; most employers will expect that you know most of what is covered by A+ the minute you walk through the door. As for salary ranges in the IT field, alot of it depends on the market in which you live. If you're in North Carolina, you can probably expect to earn much less than if you were in a more affluent, urbanized area of the country. You may also have to resign yourself to the fact that you might have to take a pay cut at first, but in the long run, the salary potential in IT is much better than the grocery business.
  • zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I do live in charlotte, NC...seems like an urban area to me and I live in a good area with neighborhoods where there's a lotta rich people who need to pay me lots of cash icon_wink.gif

It's not like there's cows running wild down here in the south but yeah, I may be forced to take a paycut...it's not really possible for me to go below 9.50. Honestly though I'd rather take a paycut and not hate my job, if I woke up in the morning and thought work was going to be fun and interesting today that'd be enough(for a while then I'd want a lot of money)

edited: because my keyboard sucks
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Didn't mean to put down NC, I've been there several times and it's a beautiful state, just saying that salaries vary from place to place due to conditions that are beyond our control. I was in a similar position as you about 9 years ago: hated my job, wanted to get into IT, but had no work experience. I took a few classes at a community college, got a certificate, and started applying. I was prepared to take a cut, but lucked out and found a job much closer to home, that paid more than what I was making at the job I hated. I hope you can find the same!
    thanks man, and yeah i knew where you were goin with the location thing, I'm just trying to convince myself I live in a perfect area for IT lol. I have a connection(relative) that can start me off in atlanta, georgia with a tech support sort of job that apparently pays around 50k but you have to take their training first...but I really do not want to move down there.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    zenzen wrote:
    ok, right now I work at a grocery store(yeah it really sucks) and my pay is 10.50/hr(also sucks lol)

That is pretty decent pay, particularly in a grocery store. At least you do have a job.

I've been reading posts saying that techs etc and people with A+ are getting hired for 8-9 dollars/hr? How can I pick stuff up and put it on a shelf and get more, I don't think I could survive on just 8 dollars/hr.

Would someone mind listing a couple of the better A+ careers and possibly the average pay to the best of your knowledge? I want to get A+ certified and move as fast as I can into IT, and continue getting certs while I'm getting experience working entry level until I can move on up to something better.

$8-$10 is pretty typical some areas as much as $12. An A+ person isn't doing that much that is special and unique in the world of computers. With the headway with PNP as well as more robust OSs there isn't much the typical tech needs to know that the average hobbist doesn't

Even still, $8 is a start. Prove yourself, show that your clients can trust you as well as show how you bring in new business then you'll likely find yourself at the higher level of pay.

Once you start in with networks there is a whole lot more that a technician needs to know and be aware of. This is where you can find some bigger swings in pay because there is much more to understand and know how things work then merely plunking a new board in a box.

I'm still amazed at the number of people I see posting that think $8 as starting pay is beneth them. It's a 'start' Show them what you can do and make more...or better yet go into business on yuor own and set your own pay ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Well I'd be willing to take a paycut, but since I'm in a really long lease with where I live and I got this place based on the pay I'm making now it would be really hard to make ends meet if not impossible on eight bucks an hour. But, if I end up having to go that route and just eat like rice and beans every day or something I probably would. I dont' have such a big ego I can't start from the bottom and work my way up :)
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm assuming ya'll from the US of A. I was working as a PC Technician before I was A+ certified, where I was earning 8/hr CAD, this was several years back when that would have be about 5.75 USD. Our minimum wage back then was 7CAD (5USD back then)

This was hard for me because I had to quit my job as a restaurant manager for this. When I was telling people what to do, telling them to clean tables, refill cups etc...I was making 10CAD/hr + bonus and commission (7.2USD back then).

The story goes that after getting my A+, I was able to transfer to another company that was willing to paid me more.

But I guess my experience can't really compare, all this was part-time, and I'm still in school living with my parents. I dont any 'extra' bills to pay for except my personal things, so I didnt mind the salary as much.

I guess my point is, if you really want to get somewhere in life unless than packing ramen noodles into shelves for the rest of your life. There's a glass hump you have to ride out, yes it might hurt and it might cost you. But I am sure that there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Djmario30Djmario30 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    zenzen wrote:
    Well I'd be willing to take a paycut, but since I'm in a really long lease with where I live and I got this place based on the pay I'm making now it would be really hard to make ends meet if not impossible on eight bucks an hour. But, if I end up having to go that route and just eat like rice and beans every day or something I probably would. I dont' have such a big ego I can't start from the bottom and work my way up :)

Well when i got my A+ cert i applied to almost every job i knew i can due through moster.com and dice.com until i finally hit my big break.Now i work for a fortune 500 company and they started me at 16.00 a hour with full benifits after the 30 day mark.I also got a company vehicle and a company fuel card(Thank god dam gas prices lol).I do field tech work i go to stores,bussniess and offices to do there computer repairs.It's been 1 year since i applyed and i just got my second review today which i will be getting a 2007 dodge caravan for my exellent work i do including a nice raise too.So don't ever give up because around that corner there may be something lined up just for you.Exscuse my spelling but i have a terrible cold can't really think straight lol.If you need advice or have a question just pm me. icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif
    wow you are one lucky guy, I'll take a page out of your book and apply for everything I think I can do as well. $16 an hour, I would feel rich honestly haha, plus a company car. Now if only you lived in charlotte, NC and needed like an IT sidekick. I'll keep you in mind if I have any questions, thanks.
  • Djmario30Djmario30 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    zenzen wrote:
    wow you are one lucky guy, I'll take a page out of your book and apply for everything I think I can do as well. $16 an hour, I would feel rich honestly haha, plus a company car. Now if only you lived in charlotte, NC and needed like an IT sidekick. I'll keep you in mind if I have any questions, thanks.

Just remeber always have confidence in what you do and always try to learn new things since technology changes almost overnight lol.Always practice what you learn and try to be the best at it.One thing i learned is never give up hope no matter what.I know you will make a great tech. icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif Your pm was answered
  • TBLTZTBLTZ Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    zenzen wrote:

I have a bachelors degree with 3 years of IT Manager Experience. Now im just starting to get my certs anything going to college because I didn't have the time. But im about to move to charlotte NC. It seems to have a good IT job Market. I have seen pay from 50k-100k.