How to see which switching methods a switch uses?

FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
With methods I mean the following:
Store and Forward
Cut and Through
Fragment Free

Is there a command to see what is being used on a Cisco Switch, or is one of the methods the preferred methods and thus always used these day?

Comments

• joetestjoetest Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Switches only use store and forward these days because of ASICs. The Asics today is so fast it's not worth the trouble of Cut-through or Fragment-Free.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Some switches are also implementing cut through switching, such as the Nexus 5k.

I think that you should always refer to the datasheet of the specific device you are dealing with.
  • joetestjoetest Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    Some switches are also implementing cut through switching, such as the Nexus 5k. I think that you should always refer to the datasheet of the specific device you are dealing with.
    I stand corrected - it's used on a few switches like the N5k. (useful for 9K bytes) Great info about it on Cut-Through and Store-and-Forward Ethernet Switching for Low-Latency Environments - Cisco
  • FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    But is there a way on a switch to see which method it uses, so is there a command to check?
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    I don't know how to check it from the CLI. Looking forward to see if anyone would know that.
  • FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    Haven't found a satisfactory answer yet. I'll let you know if I find one.