Options

CCNA route to VCP5-DCV

AmadanAmadan Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have a CCNA routing a switching. I am interested in getting the VCP5-DCV.

My question is can I do the VCP-NV and then the VCP5-DCV, therefore bypassing the need to do a course.
I will be using CBTnuggets and my own experience to gain exams.

Regards

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes you can. Confirmed answer.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    AmadanAmadan Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to double check because I read somewhere that this wasnt allowed.

Has anyone done it this way?
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I got the education exemption for VCP-NV with my CCNA/CCNP Data Center and took the VCP-DCV test and was awarded the certification. Of course, then I also finished my VCP-DCV class and took VCP-NV test after that. But I can definitely confirm that CCNA exemption for VCP-NV worked to get my VCP-DCV earlier this year. SO unless they changed something, you should be good. If they did, you can always go back and take the Stanly course
  • Options
    STANLY_CCSTANLY_CC Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We can help with both CCNA & VCP.
    joelsfood wrote: »
    I got the education exemption for VCP-NV with my CCNA/CCNP Data Center and took the VCP-DCV test and was awarded the certification. Of course, then I also finished my VCP-DCV class and took VCP-NV test after that. But I can definitely confirm that CCNA exemption for VCP-NV worked to get my VCP-DCV earlier this year. SO unless they changed something, you should be good. If they did, you can always go back and take the Stanly course
  • Options
    whizzerwhizzer Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just to confirm, you still need to take and pass both the -NV and -DCV exam, correct? Your CCNA qualifies just for the education requirement, not for the -NV exam, correct?
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Correct. CCNA can get you an exemption from the class requirement, but you still have to pass the test to get the cert
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    whizzer wrote: »
    Just to confirm, you still need to take and pass both the -NV and -DCV exam, correct? Your CCNA qualifies just for the education requirement, not for the -NV exam, correct?

Yes, the CCNA qualifies for the education requirement for the -NV exam. Once you pass the -NV exam you have a valid VCP and it allows you to take the -DCV exam without the education part.

I think you can only do this until January 2016. At that point you would have to take a class if you don't get your -NV by then.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Would the CCNA to VCP-DCV with the wgu voucher require -NV?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    Yes, the CCNA qualifies for the education requirement for the -NV exam. Once you pass the -NV exam you have a valid VCP and it allows you to take the -DCV exam without the education part.

I think you can only do this until January 2016. At that point you would have to take a class if you don't get your -NV by then.
    Correct.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    metelicametelica Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    metelica wrote: »
    Here's the answer from VMware employee:
    https://communities.vmware.com/thread/513810

Who is the same as the post above you :D:D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So just to be clear, as long as I get my NV before end of the year, I can take my time getting the DCV after that correct? I wouldnt have to get the DCV before Jan 16 as well? I'm taking WGU classes and plan to graduate Jan 16, so I want to try to cram for the NV on top of my classes now, and then take my time studying for the DCV after I graduate.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    noahp34 wrote: »
    So just to be clear, as long as I get my NV before end of the year, I can take my time getting the DCV after that correct?
    You'll have 2 years from when you gain your NV, as that's when it will expire.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    noahp34: Is there a reason you aren't aiming for the VCP-DCV using wgu's voucher on dreamspark? I'm asking just to see if there's any roadblocks that way or something to be gained by getting -NV first.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Can I do that without taking a class through vmware? My current understanding is that you have to take a class through vmware in order to be able to test for the DCV unless you have the CCNA and do the NV first and then get the DCV, but this only works until January. I know that last month you could take some labs through dreamspark which seemed to fulfill that class requirement but that has since been taken down. If there's another way to do it without spending tons of money, please let me know! Unfortunately, Stanly is not available in my state or I'd go that route.
  • Options
    According to GreaterNinja in that thread it's valid without a course but it's 5.1 still. They did suggest taking a course for the hands-on experience though. Ditto on Stanly CC, I planned on the course until they announced it was no longer available here. I'll probably try the wgu voucher in the first half of 2016, need to graduate first.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I've confirmed that you can do VCP 5.5 DCV and VCP 5.1 DCV with the PSE voucher and not take the course.
    Specifically, VCP550PSE & VCP510PSE exams.
    Confirmed with several people on reddit, an academic manager at VMware, VMware customer support rep, and with VMware by testing it myself.

My VCP is VCP5-DCV (DCV 5.5).

Last thing to note, 95% of VMware employees said a course was required... I've obviously shown a counter example to what is being said.

With it all being said you should still do an ICM lab/course.
  • Options
    Nice, thanks for the info guys! It's much appreciated. Yeah I need to get a hold of a reasonably priced lab course. I use VSphere a lot of work but nobody has studied or really learned a lot about it. My team lead asked me to get some more training if I can. Im in the same boat as you techfiend. I'd prefer to be done with my WGU studies before jumping into Vmware.