Options

My path to Network Security Analyst/Eng/Arch

thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I'm sure some of you have come across a couple of my posts here.

A week ago I acquired my first certification ever, my Network+. Since then I've been hungrier and more determined than ever.

I have no prior IT Experience, currently working as a Lab Tech. My end goal is to work Network Security for the Government or a private sector. In my signature you can see a certification pathway I've put together based on hours of thread searching, etc here on TechExams.

PS. Do you think I'd be able to land an Entry level job with my Network+ and not IT experience? Ideally I'd like to obtain these certs in sync with my experience in the field. I understand having a boat load of Certs with no exp can be more harmful than helpful.

Appreciate any input,

Thanks.
Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP

Comments

• Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    It will behoove you to get your CCNA asap as I don't think Network+ is good enough anymore (if it ever was). Also, if you want to work for the government then you will need to make sure you can get a security clearance. Getting upgraded to Top Secret for me is nigh impossbile right now where I live as contracts wont pay for it anymore.

I would also consider working at a NOC or desktop support role for a decent sized company where you could make a lateral move after you get enough experience.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In my area your best best would be a Level 1 Help Desk role, but each area has different talent availability, so you never know. My recommendation would be to do some social networking. Try to find a couple of local/regional computer groups/clubs (LinkedIn is good for this in the US) and start attending meetings. It's a lower hurdle to hire a friend than a complete stranger.
  • Options
    thewiz8807thewiz8807 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Noted. Thanks guys.
    Goals: Network+ (Done) -> CCNA: R&S (Done) -> CCNA: Security (Done) -> Security+ (Done) -> ITIL v3 Foundation (Done) -> CASP (Done) -> CCNP: R/S (In Progress) -> CCNP: Collaboration -> CCSK -> CCSP -> CISSP