Options

CEH practice exams/timeframe to get certified

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I am eligible to self study for the CEH certification and made it my goal by the end of the year to obtain it. I have the following materials to prepare for it.

1. Official Courseware EC-Council
2. Boson Practice exams
3. Matt Walker CEH All in one guide
4. Matt Walker CEH Practice Exam book
5. Pluralsight video training CEH course
6. Learnsmart video training CEH course

With all of this study material at my disposal and my current certification knowledge, should I be in good shape to pass this within 5 months? I think it is obtainable. Also, does anyone else know of any valid practice exams for this certification that won't break the bank? Thanks guys!

One of the reasons why I want to obtain this certification is because I just talked to a team member and he said to start with the CEH and CCNA Security and once I get those certifications, to give him a buzz and he will talk to his manager to move me into his pen testing team!! From there, I would then obtain my CISSP and OSCP certifications to really prove my stuff!

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Did you submit the eligibility form? Or you are eligible because of the experience you have? I say that because I remember reading once you do the eligibility form you are suppose to test within 3 months.
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    Did you submit the eligibility form? Or you are eligible because of the experience you have? I say that because I remember reading once you do the eligibility form you are suppose to test within 3 months.

I'm curious on your eligibility as well. I am in the same boat, I am looking to take the CEH but have 1 year of experience as a Security Analyst with 3 years of SysAdmin.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't speak to the eligibility, but with that list of resources, you should be ready to test after six to eight weeks of study. I certainly don't think you would need more than two months if you are coming in with a relevant bachelor's, Security+, and CCNA R&S.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try the CEH assessment at Certified Ethical Hacker Assessment | EC-Council. You should be ready if your score is more than 80.

I passed by reading the Matt Walker AIO book. He tries to make the topics interesting by writing in a conversational style, you may enjoy his "exam is different from reality", "hackers will not do this", "memorize this for exam" comments... :) Also supplement by look at the CEH course outline items; and reading up on items not covered by AIO book.
  • Options
    OM602OM602 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dealing with EC Council is more difficult than the actual exam. :) With your background you should do fine. I used the AIO, CBT Nuggets and the Boson practice exams and passed comfortably.
    The world chico, and everything in it
  • Options
    IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OM602 wrote: »
    Dealing with EC Council is more difficult than the actual exam. :)

You are not kidding! I've tried to get some clarification on the " 2 years of Security experience" and they keep sending back robot answers.

I asked if I had security experience from my SysAdmin role, would that count. Their responses: "It must come from IT Security. It must be IT Security experience."

I still think I'm going to fill out the application based on what I have read on here. We will see what happens.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @IaHawk, highlight your GSEC certification and the infosec tasks you do in your SysAdmin role in your resume.
    Some technical details in your infosec tasks should help.
    They will also contact your supervisor, and ask him to submit a signed verification form.