Options

Upgrading to Windows 10 now!

Comments

• Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You said it, relatively short, because the mix of control panel and pc settings is somewhat chaotic xD
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So whats the verdict? is everyone happy?

Did you guys simply upgraded or did you do a clean install?

I'm still considering installing Windows 10.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I upgraded a clean installation xD

I had Linux on my SSD, so I needed to install Windows 8.1 in it, and then upgrade.
  • Options
    macboy81macboy81 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really like windows 10 looks like this could be the windows 7 and windows 8 is following vista in to history of shocking OS. I dont mind the collecting of data who doesnt track our data online these days.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I upgraded my work PC and there were only a couple programs that I had to reinstall. Went pretty smooth.

I like Microsoft Edge. Very quick and very lite. I do have two issues with it. First is no ability for extensions yet so ads/popups are annoying. I'm assuming they will add this. Second, not sure if this is user error, but not all links are being opened in a new tab, but rather a new window.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I just bought my wife a Dell XPS 13 that shipped with Windows 10 and it's great. Snappy and easy to use. I would buy another for myself if I didn't already have a laptop for work.

No complaints here.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    markulous wrote: »
    First is no ability for extensions yet so ads/popups are annoying. I'm assuming they will add this.

They will add this later this summer (Aug/Sep), if reports are true. If you are part of the Windows Insider program, you will likely see it before others do.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

That will be awesome. I'm excited to see how it will be and how Google and Mozilla respond. It takes up a fraction of the memory that those other browsers do.
  • Options
    GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone know how long the Technical Preview build is going to be around? I still have it on one laptop but it hasn't prompted me to switch to the regular build.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Assuming this works on the tech preview, you can force the upgrade..something like: How to force Windows to start downloading the Windows 10 update files | VentureBeat | Business | by Jeff Grubb && Emil Protalinski
  • Options
    I was pulling out my hair this morning. I had the local svc host spiking from 25% to 50% cpu usage and it was slowing things down. I started blowing out everything I could and disabling stuff, ran sfc /scannow, got rid of a/v. Nothing worked. I couldn't make sense of the event log message. I followed them back and realized it was about the time I installed hyper-v. I took that off and it worked great since then. Not sure why that was screwing it up.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was playing a game and got a notification "try out Office 365 today", bloody hell I don't like the idea of a Microsoft operating system pop up....
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552

As with most things, if you are going to run windows these days, get used to the occasional push ad, everybody does it these days.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□

Personally, I think pushing ads to operating systems has taken advertising too far.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    @=markulous
    Respond to what?

@=Gess;
    Out of this huge pool of Windows installs only 10 million "upgraded" and those are MS numbers, who would say there are so many MS haters and click bait bloggers.
  • Options
    @=thomas_

There are a lot of things that have been taken to far, heck I pay over a $100 bucks a month for TV and 35% of what I get to watch is advertising! I hate having to pay to have someone try to sell me something!

@=varelg

Those numbers are MS numbers based on how many upgrades they could deliver in a certain time frame, the numbers continue to go up every single day, but even as big as MS is, they only have a certain amount of bandwidth to deliver the upgrades with.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    I did a force upgrade so who knows when I would have gotten my download
  • Options
    Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    I saw a 10 upgraded computer today, and I didn't like it. I want to go from START - Control Panel - System and Security - System just like that. Why does Microsoft insist on changing the appearances all the damn time?

Oh well, I do PC repair work on the side, so I wait in eager anticipation of calls from people who upgraded, hated the changes, and want 7 back. More money for me, thanks Microsoft!
  • Options
    The one computer that I reserved the upgrade for, has not even been touched yet and I don't expect it to for sometime because of the late date I reserved the upgrade request, I am not worried about it, by time it is all said and done, there are still going to be hundreds of millions of computers running MS as their operating system.
  • Options
    @=Shoe Box

What is it with people that don't want to change? Look how many security risks are out their with our information because companies have refused to upgrade XP OS manufactures come out with stuff, companies refuse to upgrade and learn new stuff, then the ones that pay is us! because the hackers figure out ways to compromise the system get our information, you have to remember as fast as the companies upgrade OS, the hackers are right there to hack them.

Some people seem to forget, that the hard core hackers are just as good or better than those who write the OS.
  • Options
    @=Shoe Box

Now it's "Start" - "Settings" and it's all right there. What's wrong with less steps?
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    Respond to what?

To having a browser that doesn't take up a gig of ram.
  • Options
    But you are cool with getting slapped silly with ads, yet it's horrible when an app that is being used all the darn time takes a gig of RAM out of 16 GB RAM that is onboard. And ads are being blocked.
  • Options
    DrovorDrovor Member Posts: 137
    @=MTciscoguy

You can download Win 10 anytime you want. Just download the media creation tool from Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • Options
    @=varelg

They are adding add-on support and it's a noticeably more smoother browser. And it's pretty rare when I see a client that has 16 gigs of RAM.
  • Options
    GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Shoe Box wrote: »
    I saw a 10 upgraded computer today, and I didn't like it. I want to go from START - Control Panel - System and Security - System just like that. Why does Microsoft insist on changing the appearances all the damn time?

Oh well, I do PC repair work on the side, so I wait in eager anticipation of calls from people who upgraded, hated the changes, and want 7 back. More money for me, thanks Microsoft!

You can. Hit the Windows button, type "Control Panel", Right Click on the icon, Pin To Start Menu. Now the classic Control Panel is pinned to your start menu and you can skip the new Setting screen. Resize it to small and stick it in a corner. Easy. Or just type "Control Panel" each time. Either way it's pretty simple.

I'd rather have the choice of selecting which way I want to access my computer settings than be saddled with what MS decided was best. It's a nice change.
  • Options
    Or just pin the Control Panel to your start menu and you won't have to type it anymore.
  • Options
    Oh by the way, how's new Windows Media Manager? And can Windows 10 still play DVDs?
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    Oh by the way, how's new Windows Media Manager? And can Windows 10 still play DVDs?

I believe you have to pay for it ($15). VLC does all that and more for free.
  • Options
    I see. In the "upgraded" version of Windows I have to pay for something that I already had for free in Windows 7.