Taking Security Plus SY0-401 next month!

gdorlexagdorlexa Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi ..I am new to this forum. I am taking my security plus exam during the first week of July. I have been studying the Darrell Gibson Book, David Prowse Book, Exam Compass, Exam Cram, Professor Messer Videos, and been doing practice test questions from these sources. The simulations from the Dave Prowse DVD has been excellent. Understand on the SY0-401 there are 7 to 8 sims. I can master all the Dave Prowses except the RAID stuff which is still not clear. Was having trouble with Symmetric and Asymmetric encryption but got that down to the core:) On the test engine for Dave Prowse been averaging 820 to 830 ...Any other advice on the exam is appreciated..

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Also do the online part of Darrell Gibson. Well worth it. Good luck!!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • gdorlexagdorlexa Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I checked the online part--it said they were questions derived from the book which I have? Would it still be worth getting the online questions from Gibson?
  • evoxdcevoxdc Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do spend some time on RAID, so some material on it that threw me for a loop for a moment because of the way that it was presented.
    Considering Studying: MCSA Server 2012 (70-410/411/412), Linux+
    Reviewing: Java, C++, Reading up on Networking theory, Algorithms and general programming
    Studying: the color of my ceiling, taking a break
    Working on: Getting finances together. Personal programming project planning. Mental Detox before I have meltdown ;)
    Completed: M.S. in Information Systems Management[/b] w/ a focus on Systems Tools and Information Security
    Yes been studying the RAID stuff, Quizlet, David Prowse, and Gibson Book.
  • ryaneasteryaneaste Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey mate, Im sitting the exam next month also :) very nervous as I am averaging the same as yourself. For me I think crypto will be the hardest section. I have the Prowse book and comptia exam cram book.
  • JameswebJamesweb Member Posts: 144
    Good luck next month taking the exam! It sounds like you are good to go toward a pass to me!
    Currently working on CCENT/CCNA and CAPM
    Raid is better now for me...taking my test on 1 July ...been studying like crazy..Prowse, Gibson, Exam Cram, Quizlet, You tube videos. Had a problem wit incremental and differential backup..think I have that down pat now...The good news is I do not need any certs for my job...doing this for professional development and to learn Still bit anxious since I paid for my own voucher.
    I think for me is making sure I read the entire question and look at every choice. The words can trick you if you read too fast. Found that out on many of the practice exams I have taken. Wish me luck. Never taken any kind of certification exam ever...this will be the first.
    That is what I found on the test after recently taking it. I had to really read the questions due to the wording. It was not an easy one by no means to pass but was so happy to have that one done.
  • yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your exam!
    Quickly memorize well known ports before the exam! It got me about 4 questions and with simulation questions too.
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
    Thanks James and ypark. Slept not so well last night, only 5 hours but coffee is my best friend! I am going with the attitude, I studied just about every credible source out there, Gibson, Prowse, ExamCram, Exam compass, and practice sims. I got the main ports down pat including UDP and TCP versions. TheSY0-401 is not a requirement for me as I work as a CIO....but want eventually do CISSP. Never have taken a cert test ever. My Masters Degree was intense. So the attitude is " I will do my very best and PAY attention to what is being asked" And not get nervous. I will post back when its all over.
    That is all you can do and sounds like you have done your homework on this one! You will come out just fine I am sure of it. Waiting to see that "I PASSED!" in the thread next.
    Well friends " I PASSED" score 781 whewww....I am just glad I passed. It is NOT an easy exam. I was on 4 hours of sleep too. Next test for me will be CISSP,then CISA
  • yparkypark Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    2022 Goals: [PCNSE] [JNCIS-SP] [JNCIS-SEC] [JNCIS-DevOps]
    thanks ypark! Big relief--now going to begin studying for the CISSP Fun fun fun....
  • Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gdorlexa wrote: »
    Well friends " I PASSED" score 781 whewww....I am just glad I passed. It is NOT an easy exam. I was on 4 hours of sleep too. Next test for me will be CISSP,then CISA

Congrats on the pass. How was reading the ExamCram book? Was it easy for you to understand in terms of how it's formatted? Please let me know. Thanks.
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • diewalkurediewalkure Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck, I retaking the test again. I just needed to brush up on networking issues and ports identification.
  • aaron44aaron44 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone taken the security plus 401 version within the last week? I am currently in the military and need this certification in order to do my job. I have already failed twice and last week was my second time failing it. I need LOTS of help on the performance based questions. They had BRAND new performance on my test last week that were so foreign to me. If anyone know about the "newer" test please message back. I get one more chance to take it and would greatly appreciate anyone's input! Thank you!:)