Options

a question regarding private vlans

niba10niba10 Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone I'm studying for CCNP SWITCH 300-115 and in private vlans section their is something that make me confused
"Secondary vlans can communicate with each other but cannot communicate with other secondary vlans"
so my question is if i have a situation like this :
118hmhl.png

assume all configuration are good

so those PC couldn't communicate with each other am I correct?(I couldn't test it because I don't have the necessary equipment)

Comments

• Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    In this case, the traffic will be routed. So, yes; they will talk to each other.
  • Options
    niba10niba10 Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    In this case, the traffic will be routed. So, yes; they will talk to each other.
    so that sentence is effected only on LAN?
  • Options
    brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In private vlans you have 2 types of secondary VLANs:
    1. Isolated - the members can talk only to promiscuous ports and CAN'T talk to each other
    2. Community - the members can talk to promiscuous ports and CAN talk to all the members of this particular VLAN.

In both cases users CAN'T talk to users in other vlans unless the traffic is routed.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    d4nz1g wrote: »

In the switching point of view, the traffic went from the source (isolated port, for example) towards the default gateway (promiscuous port), and that is fine. At the destination, the traffic went from the router on a promiscuous port and then forwarded to the host, on an isolated port.
  • Options
    dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    If the 2 switches are connected through a trunk and not a router, they cannot talk to each other.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    @dppagc

Without L3, host in the same VLAN can still communicate with each other, even on different switches. L3 is only needed for inter-VLAN communication.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    dppagcdppagc Member Posts: 293
    jahsoul wrote: »
    @dppagc

Without L3, host in the same VLAN can still communicate with each other, even on different switches. L3 is only needed for inter-VLAN communication.

Oh the picture is removed. I was talking about 2 secondary vlans.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dppagc wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    If the 2 switches are connected through a trunk and not a router, they cannot talk to each other.

Correct. However that concepts carries with normal L2 switching in general. If you have 2 separate vlans one cannot talk to the other without routing.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi