ITIL Foundations Book

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of going for the ITIL V3 Foundations exam, but I wanted to know if using just Claire Agutter's prep book for ITIL V3 foundations would be sufficient enough for the exam / coverage. Has anyone else done this just using her book?

Hope to see some responses.

Cheers,

Justin

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Justin

Thanks for considering my book. I hope you'll get some independent feedback here but from an author's perspective I can tell you the book was assessed by the owners of ITIL against the Foundation syllabus and approved as meeting all of the requirements.

I would also recommend you visit the official ITIL site and grab a copy of the syllabus and the free sample paper that's there. You can use the syllabus with the book and then assess your readiness with the sample exam.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Claire
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In addition to Claire's book, I may suggest "Foundations of IT Service Management with ITIL 2011". Since you are going to sit for the V3 and not the 2011 version, you will find a couple of differences. But the basic components are the same.

I used that book to pass the exam. And I made a review on it here: Foundations of IT Service Management With ITIL 2011 - Keyboard Banger
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Hi Justin

Thanks for considering my book. I hope you'll get some independent feedback here but from an author's perspective I can tell you the book was assessed by the owners of ITIL against the Foundation syllabus and approved as meeting all of the requirements.

I would also recommend you visit the official ITIL site and grab a copy of the syllabus and the free sample paper that's there. You can use the syllabus with the book and then assess your readiness with the sample exam.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Claire

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your response. The reason I asked this question was because after looking at Amazon reviews, it seems like it helped most individuals pass the exam, but there were I believe 1-2 negative reviews saying that diagrams were very small / it didn't help pass the exam.

I will still be purchasing it today, and I might just get the CBT Nuggets for the ITIL V3 foundations to supplement the book.

Thanks again for your reply :)
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Justin

Some of the diagrams are quite small - the down side of pocket books! However a google search will show you larger versions of most ITIL diagrams if you get really stuck icon_smile.gif

Enjoy your studies and good luck,

Claire
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Hi Justin, I used Claire's book by itself to pass the exam. Read it twice over the course of two weeks and passed with like an 88. The diagrams are small but 100% readable. Like Claire said, you can always Google and get the bigger image too, but I never needed to. Don't spend more money and time reading one of the larger books. Claire's book has everything you need to pass.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Hi Justin

Some of the diagrams are quite small - the down side of pocket books! However a google search will show you larger versions of most ITIL diagrams if you get really stuck icon_smile.gif

Enjoy your studies and good luck,

Claire

Hi Claire,

Thanks for your response again. I purchased your book and it should be arriving soon! It's nice to see the author of the book that helped other members pass on this forum :)

Cheers.

JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Hi Justin, I used Claire's book by itself to pass the exam. Read it twice over the course of two weeks and passed with like an 88. The diagrams are small but 100% readable. Like Claire said, you can always Google and get the bigger image too, but I never needed to. Don't spend more money and time reading one of the larger books. Claire's book has everything you need to pass.

Hi JoJoCal19,

Thanks for your response! It's nice to hear that you passed using just her book. I have around 2 weeks to pass this exam, before I head out of town for work, so I really want to get this exam cleared before I leave. I may end up just following your advice and read her book as a solo resource, and not get the CBT Nuggets series.

You think this is a good idea? Thanks again !! :)

Cheers.
  • guy9guy9 Banned Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To be honest with you I used ITIL Training Zone. They had like a 100 buck special a while back and that was enough I do believe. Especially, if you can eliminate the wrong answers on the exam. I just went to the (new) site :

ITIL Foundation Course Online | ITSM Zone

It is 200+ bucks for the training, I purchased the training a while back when it was a special for like 100 bucks. Honestly, I would not spend 200+ bucks for training and another 199 bucks for the exam. That is about 400 bucks. Not knocking the exam, but I fell it's other certifications that put more $ in my pocket if I obtain them for around the same price little more/little less. So, in conclusion the book is the cheapest route. I have the book, I bought the book a few years back. Not knocking the book, but the video series training easily kept my attention. You can do it in 2 weeks, its possible. Ask yourself, when you're rushing to read a book are you really understanding the concepts of what you just looked over? Rushing to read a book and not memorizing anything is setting yourself up for failure. I can't speak for you, but if failed the ITIL F exam I would not have taken it over again. I could argue the ROI now, I know I would not pay 400 bucks for it for taking it twice. Take your time, have patience. Unless you have good memory/or it is mandatory for the job I would give it more time. That's just me
    guy9 wrote: »
    To be honest with you I used ITIL Training Zone. They had like a 100 buck special a while back and that was enough I do believe. Especially, if you can eliminate the wrong answers on the exam. I just went to the (new) site :

ITIL Foundation Course Online | ITSM Zone

It is 200+ bucks for the training, I purchased the training a while back when it was a special for like 100 bucks. Honestly, I would not spend 200+ bucks for training and another 199 bucks for the exam. That is about 400 bucks. Not knocking the exam, but I fell it's other certifications that put more $ in my pocket if I obtain them for around the same price little more/little less. So, in conclusion the book is the cheapest route. I have the book, I bought the book a few years back. Not knocking the book, but the video series training easily kept my attention. You can do it in 2 weeks, its possible. Ask yourself, when you're rushing to read a book are you really understanding the concepts of what you just looked over? Rushing to read a book and not memorizing anything is setting yourself up for failure. I can't speak for you, but if failed the ITIL F exam I would not have taken it over again. I could argue the ROI now, I know I would not pay 400 bucks for it for taking it twice. Take your time, have patience. Unless you have good memory/or it is mandatory for the job I would give it more time. That's just me

Hi guy9,

Thanks for your response. This certification is being paid for by my current employer and I have a 2 week timeframe to complete it. I may only have 2 weeks study time, but I am willing to put in the hours per day to make sure that I understand the material so I can clear the exam once I take it. I have heard a lot of negative reviews on the exam in terms of how boring / dry the study material is.

I will be using Claire's advice and use her book in conjunction with the ITIL official syllabus. I will also take the practice exam on the ITIL site.

Are there any other practice exams that are somewhat similar in difficulty to the real exam that you could possibly suggest?

Thanks again for your reply, it means a lot.

Cheers.