Options

Not sure how to study for the A+ (using Mike Meyers book)

G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
Hi all

Basically I will be taking separate classes for the 801 and 802 so I'm literally studying for them as separate exams and not together. I'm currently using the Mike Meyers 801/802 book and I have printed of the objectives for the 801. Unfortunately the book (and many others) is written as one giant document and doesn't separate the exams up into sections, e.g 801 for the first 500pgs then 500pgs for the 802 which is very annoying (if you can recommend a book that does it in this way that would be appreciated). Do you have any tips/resources for studying for the exams separately? also I'm finding it really hard to make notes from a book like this as its bloody huge so again I need tips on the best methods.

Comments

• Options
    vinnypolstonvinnypolston Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey GOAT. I can recommend three different study materials. Having said that though, why are you wanting to do everything separate? They really go hand-in-hand. Just curious.

The three resources I would suggest are
    • Professor Messer’s free A+ Videos The videos are a bit dry but the content is great. This is separated into videos so you could study the 801 & 802 not together.
    • Exam Cram by David L. Prowse My personal favorite if you prefer reading from an actual book. The content is to the point without boring you to death. It's no where near as huge as Meyer's book.
    • passtheaplus.comThis is a resource that I am creating that has free study notes. I am going through each objective separately. Although it doesn't have much on there.. my plans are to have it 100% complete no later than January 1st.

The best study methods for me personally are taking notes and doing flash cards for items such as ports, command lines, etc.
  • Options
    DWitherDWither Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey GOAT. I can recommend three different study materials. Having said that though, why are you wanting to do everything separate? They really go hand-in-hand. Just curious.

The three resources I would suggest are
    • Professor Messer’s free A+ Videos The videos are a bit dry but the content is great. This is separated into videos so you could study the 801 & 802 not together.
    • Exam Cram by David L. Prowse My personal favorite if you prefer reading from an actual book. The content is to the point without boring you to death. It's no where near as huge as Meyer's book.
    • passtheaplus.comThis is a resource that I am creating that has free study notes. I am going through each objective separately. Although it doesn't have much on there.. my plans are to have it 100% complete no later than January 1st.
    The best study methods for me personally are taking notes and doing flash cards for items such as ports, command lines, etc.

Can I ask how you used those items? I have the Exam crambook and have been watching those videos but I’m not sure of the order and howto watch them. I’ve been reading thesection in the book then I watch the video. Then after I watch the video I goback to the book and take the test at the end of that section. Up until thispoint I have not been taking notes but I plan on starting today.

I know everyone learns differently but since you used thesame materials as me I’d like to know how you did it.
  • Options
    G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    DWither wrote: »
    Can I ask how you used those items? I have the Exam crambook and have been watching those videos but I’m not sure of the order and howto watch them. I’ve been reading thesection in the book then I watch the video. Then after I watch the video I goback to the book and take the test at the end of that section. Up until thispoint I have not been taking notes but I plan on starting today.

I know everyone learns differently but since you used thesame materials as me I’d like to know how you did it.
    After much speculation and googling, I found that this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Complete-Study-Authorized-Courseware/dp/1118324056/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439565642&sr=8-1&keywords=comptia+a%2B actually has structure to follow it follows the exam points in logical order if you use this book and professor messer (who does the same) its a winning combo, I have a PDF copy but my hard copy should arrive tomorrow.
  • Options
    vinnypolstonvinnypolston Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DWither wrote: »
    Can I ask how you used those items?

That's actually how I suggest. Watch the videos and read the chapters on the same content. I know it doesn't go in exact order; but jumping around is okay so long as you cover everything :)