Options

Master's Degree, where to head?

SDeeSDee Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am really looking to continue with a master's degree..
am a Network Engineer (CCNP RS / CCNA Voice / CCNA Sec / CEH / ITIL )

I do not see myself as a 'technical' for the rest of my life.. yes am interested in new technologies.. I am really eager to learn more and more and gain more technical skills.. but I just feel like am more of a 'consultant' than a 24x7 Data center guy..

I am looking to get my Master's degree, and hopefully prepare for my CCIE and CISSP during my Master's.. the problem is that I don't really what masters degree to go with..

something like Information Security? well am already a CEH and will hopefully be a CISSP soon.. Network? CCIE to be..
like I feel am already doing enough on the "Technical" side with the certificates am getting and planning to get.. and I feel like there should be a Master's degree that would fill in the gaps better than these three (computer science/network/security)

I don't want to go off the path am already on.. but I need something that really gives an addition to me, and lead me into more of a consultant type of a job

really interested (and in need) in hearing some opinions...

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I'm a consultant right now. My advice would be to pick something to specialize in and get certs regarding that area. Next is the non technical skills. Writing and speaking learning the microsoft office suite like the back of your hand. I know those are not skills covered in a masters degree, but I feel those are the skills that are needed. I've been a consultant for a while now and thats what I know will get you the furthest. A masters degree is good if you want to move onto strategy and management. I hire and interview a lot of people for consulting positions and trust me we don't even look at there degree's 9 times out of 10 unless the customer requires it.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I believe that the hybrid (technical/managerial) , the better you are.
    I know there are a lot of managers out there that are not technical. They dont need to be technical. However, I know that there are people out there that are technical and at the same time a manager. I would rather work with technical/manager than a pure manager.

In my view, if you own a business, you would want the technical/managerial since they can deal with technical problem if the engineers are not there.

In my experience you can use your technical skills and add the masters degree. This will put you to a managerial spot.

Ive seen this happened at work. They choose the technical guy with a masters than the guy with a master/years of experience as a manager.

My plan is to do this, get MSISA and get the MBA in IT. The point is not to give any competition an edge when it comes to hiring.
    Goodluck!
  • Options
    SDeeSDee Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Really appreciate all of the replies guys!
    Well, I would like to comment on the MBA part, it is just out of my mind.. got this feeling that people go with an MBA degree when they don't know what to study..

Anyways, how does something like this sound:
    Master’s Degree in Research and Innovation in Information and Communications Technology
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    Writing and speaking learning the microsoft office suite like the back of your hand. I know those are not skills covered in a masters degree, but I feel those are the skills that are needed.
    I've been procrastinating on this for a while, despite I use Office every single day..