ROI on CCDA?

hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey folks,

I have read a little on this forum. I am curious about the ROI for the CCDA. I plan on getting the CCNP R&S after I finish WGU this fall/winter. I'll give myself a year to complete it, but maybe less time because I actually work in the field now and things are easier to understand. Afterwards though, I was thinking about the CCDA.

Question: Is the CCDA worthwhile? If my 3-5 year goal was to go from regular network engineer to senior network engineer, would this add value to my resume? Would I learn anything from it? I cannot see going down the CCNP Security route since it's 4 tests and my boss didn't recommend me doing it.

I do understand that the CCDA is valuable for network design. Where I am at now though, my boss designed the network and he is the manager - not a network architect. Given that, in my mind here I see having the CCDA being valuable then for top level engineers and managers - not just strictly architects.

If anyone has experience on what they took away and are in a similiar position as me, please respond.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never really thought of the design certs having much ROI value. Especially CCDA. Chances are when people get to the architect level they aren't interested in any associate level exams anymore anyway. I've never actually met anyone that designs networks that has a design cert. Quite a few people on the front line support though that like to rack up certs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • rjon17469rjon17469 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to get ahead in the design world by pursuing certifications in the design track, you need to get past the DA.

For example, I'm a network architect. When I applied for my current job, they listed a CCNP as required and CCIE or CCDP as preferred.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Okay, that is helpful. My next career move in Sr. Network Engineer, either at my current workplace or elsewhere. I know experience is needed at this point and the CCNP will go a long way for sure, I was just curious if the CCDA offered anything of value. Without a CCNP/CCIE I'm sure you'd be hard pressed to design a network anyway.

Maybe it's not typical of other companies, but here we have a NetEng manager and 3 engineer. He designed everything himself 5 years ago I've been told. Maybe that doesn't happen everywhere? I can't strictly say I want to be an architect (I probably don't) and I really doubt I'd get the CCDP. I know a lot of people subscribe to the belief that getting an NA is only worth it if you plan on getting the DP.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll be honest , I like having certs on my resume because I never want to be turned down for something because I lack a piece of paper. I have a high takeaway from the CCNAs (not so much from the Linux+ for example) and I'm always looking for an edge over future competition for a job I might be interviewing for, so I was curious if this could be something decent. This is way down the road (1.5 years roughly lol) so I have time, I'm just always thinking about what is next.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CCNP or CCIE would be a much better investment in my opinion.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • rjon17469rjon17469 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like having certs on my resume because I never want to be turned down for something because I lack a piece of paper. I have a high takeaway from the CCNAs (not so much from the Linux+ for example) and I'm always looking for an edge over future competition for a job I might be interviewing for

So the question becomes, what jobs are you looking for? As networker050184 mentioned, if you're looking to move to a senior network engineer role, a CCNP would likely get you further than a CCDA added to your collection.

This is just my opinion, but to me the NA/DA series equates to NOC or level 1/2 people, with the NP being the engineer/senior engineer territory. Note that I'm talking NA/DA/NP level of knowledge, not just certifications. The certifications just make that simpler to convey.

As another bit of information, my previous company hired a senior network engineer recently. He was a CCNP with CCIE written.
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    I would prefer another vendor (Brocade, Juniper) cert over a CCDA in your case.
    Stick with the CCNP, by the way.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Okay, this is all informative. Thank you. I'll definitely stick with the CCNP next and worry about after that later down the road. Our environment is quite complex here, so it's a good place to learn. My boss wants to do iWan/Performance Routing next year to give an idea of the level of stuff we are doing over here. Exciting!