Passed- Insights on my experience

emekemek Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just passed my Security+ today with a score of 820/900 icon_cheers.gif. I wanted to take some time to share my experience with taking this exam and perhaps it can help some of you out there who are planning to take the exam in the near future.

I studied/prepared for the exam roughly 2 months at a moderate pace (3-4 chapters a week). The resources I used are:

Darril Gibson CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide (MUST Have)
Gibson's Premium Content ($30 on his website, good for performance based examples)
Comptia Certmaster(Website/App, very time consuming but ok resource)

The first thing I'll say is that the test was harder than I expected. I got 4 Performance based questions off the bat, two of which were very hard and two very easy. I would highly suggest skipping these until the end as they will suck up alot of your time. Speaking of time, I finished the last question with about 10 min to go. The entire test I felt short on time, and half way through had to start skimming through the questions to finish on time. Some questions will have an entire paragraph or two of information, again skip these until the end.

My biggest take away would be that many of the questions are poorly written. To pass this test you have to make sure to weed through the irrelevant information and get to the root of what they are asking. Even then you will seem unsure about many of your answers, but try not to worry too much and don't get discouraged as this is just the nature of the exam. If you power through you'll be fine!

Next up for me is probably MCSA or maybe CCNA, not really sure at this point.

Comments