How would you attack C++?

SwoffSwoff Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
One of my two courses next semester is Programming I, which looks like it will mostly be C++.
My question is, if you had to choose (or do over) would you take it online, or in a regular classroom setting?

I'm registered for the online class now, but I'm considering changing. Any input about your choice and why is VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personal I like class based learning, I like to do the study at home and then use the class based learning to fill in gaps.

IF you like to read a book and repeat back then on line is great, but if you like to dig deeper having some one there to answer questions is always best.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I prefer interacting and asking/answering questions with my peers and instructor face to face. Taught myself 'R' out of a book and found it difficult to force myself one boring exercise after another with no peer pressure to be awful.

-b/eads
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Learned it at uni and was kicking serious ars with it. Best book from memory (heh) was Deitel & Deitel how to program.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• eSenpaieSenpai Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Find a well reviewed beginners C++ book and read it before class. You don't even have to finish it but getting your feet wet early is the key to online class success. Of the OOP languages, it is actually pretty easy to pick up but programming language learning is unique to each individual in my opinion. Some people pick up languages fairly easy and online would be perfect for them. Those that have trouble with programming language concepts (especially true with OOP) should probably take the physical classroom.

That said, C++ is the only language that made me consider programming as a career but even it couldn't make me want to code every bloody day. Hats off to the programmers because I would lose my mind.
    Working On:
    2018 - ITIL(SO, SS, SD, ST, CSI), Linux
    2019 - ITIL MALC, AWS Architect, CCSP, LPI-2, TOGAF
  • SwoffSwoff Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the answers!
    I did go ahead and change to a regular classroom setting for that class. I do like to delve deeper and ask questions if I'm not familiar with the topic, so this would be the class for me to take in person.
    Thanks again...I appreciate the advice.
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    I learned C++ with Stanley B. Lippman's "C++ Primer" back in the nineties. It's still in print and is one of the best programming books around. If I were learning C++ again I would just get Lippman and work through the book while doing the examples. But I tend to skew away from classroom learning. I'd rather have the book, the technology (c complier, router, whatever) and some time.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Google has a C++ course available. It might be of benefit to you.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • SwoffSwoff Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That looks great, Stryder, thanks.
    I'm really looking forward to this semester's classes and any extra resources I can put my face in will only make it better.
    Thanks again!