Pearson Vue

Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
Are they consolidating their test centers? Getting more stringent? I've noticed the number of test centers around me have dwindled by quite a bit- at least in NE Ohio anyway.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't imagine testing centers being a highly profitable business. Most of them are not run by PearsonVue themselves and are instead run by third party operators.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    True, I cant imagine its all that profitable either. I was wondering if they were requiring more stringent standards on their third party facilitators or something. Just seems odd. I'm only mildly concerned at this point as its only added an additional 10 miles to my nearest test center.
  • Carlp2Carlp2 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The same thing is happening here in Huntsville, AL. One has disappeared, another looks like it is going to go away based on the schedule they show.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    They are terrible to deal with...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    Carlp2 wrote: »
    The same thing is happening here in Huntsville, AL. One has disappeared, another looks like it is going to go away based on the schedule they show.

If this was for a more advanced exam then I could understand- but ICND2? And yes, I agree. Horrible to deal with.
  • kenrinkenrin Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I kind of like the testing center I always use for pearson. It is a part of the college so you get all those 18 year olds taking english and math tests while you doing IT. I hope they get rid of the ones for the new horizons computer learning center, those idiots wanted me to pay thousands to get A+ and Net+
    Thousands for A+ and Net+? Yikes, no thanks.
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The center I went to for my A+ and Net+ is not showing up when I try to sign up for Security+. Its a local airport...I wonder if maybe they just do not do the Security+?
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
    I suppose that's possible but still kinda odd. I would think if they tested for CompTIA then it would include all of them. I've been running into issue of my local test sites disappearing. I look on Pearson Vue to schedule and exam and come to find that all my local centers have dried up.
    So how are you supposed to test? That bites!!!
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    From what I can tell they're moving to a remote proctor model to increase accessibility to exams. They've already started doing this with Microsoft exams:

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/online-proctored-exams.aspx

CompTIA started remote proctoring as well with ProctorU:

https://proctoru.com/portal/comptia

I'm sure more exams will be available in the future.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Until this week I've always had good luck scheduling with 4 different places within 20 miles. This week I only had one option and it was only 1 day, I was wondering what was going on. I see the others have openings next week so hoping they don't stop providing pearsonvue, for 2 of them it's about all they do I think.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • kenrinkenrin Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hahaha, I put up that reply without looking the other day and guess what? the new horizons center is off the list.

The three local colleges, the ECPI university, and the "Elite Career Services" are the only ones listed. Looks like they tagged off about 5 places in my area. Good riddance.

Edit: I have around 30 centers within 50 miles, it is ridiculous.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If many do go to a remote proctor style its only going to hurt the value of certifications in the first place by injecting another layer of uncertainty into the mix. That is, I wonder if this candidate took this exam at a center or at his highly qualified friends place after meeting on Craig's list?

Its gonna happen!

- b/eads
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    beads wrote: »
    If many do go to a remote proctor style its only going to hurt the value of certifications in the first place by injecting another layer of uncertainty into the mix. That is, I wonder if this candidate took this exam at a center or at his highly qualified friends place after meeting on Craig's list?

Its gonna happen!

- b/eads

The exams RedHat offers via kiosk are remote proctored and I don't see any of their certifications devalued. I've found most of the critics of remote proctoring haven't actually been a part of the process. ProctorU did a really good job of making me clear my desk, making me show them my entire room, and ensuring I had the door closed for Server + via webcam. They even take you into an application that allows them to take over your computer so you don't have access to anything but the exam.
    ITIL is remotely proctored.
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well ProctorU still has no news on CompTIA being offered again. It really sucks that the venue that I passed my past certs in is no longer listed and I have to make a far drive.
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    In the chicago area we only have one place that has consistent availability and/or on weekends. Most of the other places don't test until 10 am. No chance for an early exam and then a trip to work. I'm lucky my job will let me test and then come in to work. Plus the one place I did test at has awful reviews, the one time I went I had zero issues... (actually got an error after I submitted my exam but got my passing sheet after I went to the desk) a few people that were sitting for other exams did seem to be having some sort of connection problems.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Whew. I thought I was the only one.
    There was a testing center I went to on the outskirts of Philadelphia. A little private airport. Old room old chairs and the computers were super old, but their scheduling was awesome in my opinion.

I scheduled my ICND1 the other week and they weren't available. The nearest ones were smack dab in the middle of Philadelphia and one is at Strawberry Mansion (don't let the name fool you. The crime rate is through the roof in that area).

I just ended up going to a community college located near a remote site of the company I work for. Worked out but my commute was longer than expected.