I can't pass the A+. Should I try for Security+?

kisnerzakisnerza Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I tried to get my A+ recently, I failed the 801 my first time then passed the second time. I took my 802 for the first time last week and failed by 30 points. Since I was so close I decided to study that weekend and then retake it as soon as I could but I failed again except this time I did 100 points worse than the first time. I studied for about 3 months for my A+.

I thought the questions were so much harder than the first one and I really don't want to waste money on it because I am still in school and I don't have a lot of money. I really don't care about the A+, I just wanted it because I knew nothing about hardware and trouble shooting and I wanted to get a feel about how the certificate process worked.

I really only care about the security+. I've take a Networking class and a Network Security class in college and did very well in both. Because of this I feel that I would do slightly better for the Security+ than the A+ since I knew absolutely nothing about hardware before the A+.

I also want to work in the security field after I graduate in May so I have way more interest in the Security+ anyway. I know I should probably try to get my Network+ first but I know some people who went straight to Security+ and passed. Since I couldn't pass the A+ would I even have a chance at passing the Security +?

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Finish what you started. I failed many a cert test. Look at what you didn't do well on and focus on that.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've failed CompTIA, Cisco, and ISC2 exams. I studied the material again with an emphasis on my weak areas and eventually passed. If you doubt yourself then I will doubt you as well. I can't tell you how you would do on the Security+, but if you believe you are unable to do it because you failed one exam then I don't think you have the right mindset for this field.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going to have to agree with the above posts. Sure it sucks to pour time and money into a failed attempt, but don't let that deter you. You've got a fair amount of "failing" to do in the years to come as you grow in knowledge and experience, so start getting in the groove of seeing failures as opportunities to learn and improve yourself and your process.

It's what will separate you from everyone else out there that experiences adversity and gives up or walks away. It's one of the CORE attributes that will make you a desirable employee and a strong person!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You don't really know what kind of job you can get right out of college so you should be trying to be as versatile as possible. I would finish A+, then Net+, then Sec+. Some help desk jobs require A+ and you would be in the same boat.
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Don't give up, keep going and complete A+ THEN do sec+ !
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The piece of paper 'certification' is second to the material of which you are actually studying - that itself is the true prize.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    You don't really know what kind of job you can get right out of college so you should be trying to be as versatile as possible. I would finish A+, then Net+, then Sec+. Some help desk jobs require A+ and you would be in the same boat.

I second that motion
  • SwoffSwoff Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tenacious: not readily relinquishing a position, principle, or course of action; determined.

Be this.
    This is where some hard-headedness can really pay off. Think of how good it will feel when you DO pass. That's a good feeling for sure.
    Not to mention, the whole 'lose, lose, lose, WIN!' experience will make you better in every area of your life. You can do it, my friend...just be patient and work hard.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I skimmed through this entire thread... but didn't see the obvious response:

What Study Material are you using??

You flunked the test. Big Whoop.
    if you can't Switch your Brain....... then Switch your Study Material.
    "Since I was so close I decided to study that weekend and then retake it as soon as I could..."

THERE was your mistake.

Don't re-read the SAME material and expect a Different result.
    Go buy some practice Qs (maybe try Darril Gibson).

Also:
    COMPTIA gives you the option of purchasing a "2nd CHANCE RETAKES" for about $90 (think of it as insurance).
    CompTIA Marketplace
    just something to consider for next time.
    (EDIT: ACTUALLY, Nevermind. they Jacked the Price Up Considerably. Go try D.Gibson instead)