Whoooo hooooo!!! I just passed Security+

m00ndoggm00ndogg Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
This was my 1st CompTIA cert.

I don't even want an A+... I been fixin' PC's for 30 years and I don't want to do that anymore!
I like networkin'!!

Besides, after looking at some A+ sample tests, I know that it would be hard to pass!!
I don't feel the need to "prove" that I can fix a PC, and don't want to spend valuable study time in that area!

I'm sure that we can ALL agree that these test DO NOT test your actual ability to understand and troubleshoot....
...more to understand the weird way that someone has worded a question on a test is all...

Network & security stuff, that's were the FUN is!!

I studied my butt off for weeks and I thought I was ready....
I guess that I was, because I passed, but it was still REALLY HARD!!
I should have done Network+ first!! I guess maybe I'll do it now...

Anyway, reading MANY posts on this site proved helpful and encouraging... THANK YOU ALL !!!
Smooth sailing!
~~~ _/) ~~~~

"...it's not my boat, it's my boss' boat..." (Capt. Ron)

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! What's next? icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • orlandoflorlandofl Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing Security+!! icon_thumright.gif

-Travis
    • Education: B.A. Criminal Justice - Thomas Edison State University
    • Education: Undergraduate Certificate in Microsoft Server Administration - St. Petersburg College
    • Currently Working On: MCSA - Windows 10
    • Planned Certifications for 2017: MCSE - Mobility
    • Connect With Me On LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/in/travisebyrd
  • TongyTongy Member Posts: 234
    Congratulations (you misspelled security+ btw!)

What's next? Net+?
  • m00ndoggm00ndogg Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah Network+ is next.... starting Monday.
    I really should have done that first but I didn't think it was really worth it...

I should have looked into it deeper, but my original plan was to go straight for my CCNA and I figured that if I had that I wouldn't need Network+.

Now I'm starting to realize that the network would probably help me with my CCNA.
    Smooth sailing!
    ~~~ _/) ~~~~

• Michael-Michael- Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    m00ndogg wrote: »
    Yeah Network+ is next.... starting Monday.
    I really should have done that first but I didn't think it was really worth it...

I should have looked into it deeper, but my original plan was to go straight for my CCNA and I figured that if I had that I wouldn't need Network+.

Now I'm starting to realize that the network would probably help me with my CCNA.
    I was gonna go the CCNA route myself as well but after I bought my CCENT book and began to study, I noticed the level of detail and difficulty this test would be. There were a lot of basic concepts (for Cisco standards) that it glanced over and their primary focus was on their proprietary devices, softwares, and protocols. This is when I realized that I should probably cushion my networking understanding by taking the Net+ exam which is more general and broad. It will definitely do you well going Net+ > CCENT > CCNA:R&S
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • m00ndoggm00ndogg Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that...
    It really helps to hear from others to reassure me that I'm on the right track!!
    Smooth sailing!
    ~~~ _/) ~~~~

• ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • TallDude7TallDude7 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm preparing for the CCNA exams and my school gave me Network+ course free without exam voucher. a lot of it overlaps. you are dealing with Windows Server instead of Cisco IOS. It's great to have both certs. If I get $300 together I might take the Net+ exam
  • MkroadrushMkroadrush Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    m00ndogg wrote: »
    This was my 1st CompTIA cert.

I don't even want an A+... I been fixin' PC's for 30 years and I don't want to do that anymore!
    I like networkin'!!

Besides, after looking at some A+ sample tests, I know that it would be hard to pass!!
    I don't feel the need to "prove" that I can fix a PC, and don't want to spend valuable study time in that area!

I'm sure that we can ALL agree that these test DO NOT test your actual ability to understand and troubleshoot....
    ...more to understand the weird way that someone has worded a question on a test is all...

Network & security stuff, that's were the FUN is!!

I studied my butt off for weeks and I thought I was ready....
    I guess that I was, because I passed, but it was still REALLY HARD!!
    I should have done Network+ first!! I guess maybe I'll do it now...

Anyway, reading MANY posts on this site proved helpful and encouraging... THANK YOU ALL !!!

What tips for preparation you suggest? besides going through Gibson Book what else did you do? Glad that you pass but can you give suggestions what worked for you before taking the exam?
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops