Options

No More Todd Lammle CCNP books

Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
Hey Guys

I used Todd Lammle for Network+, ccent, and CCNA. Really good books, not sure who else has used them. Well i emailed him on his website and asked when the new version of CCNP books are comming out. He basically said there is no money in books anymore because everyone downloads them for free online. SO no more CCNP but he will keep up with the CCNA.

SO with that bummed news, whats the best material out? The cisco press? I cant seem to find much else for the new CCNP route

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think there were always be a need for books but they are getting easier and easier to produce so there's not a lot of money for the authors. Besides that the explosion of sigial media, free guides, tutorials, blogs, etc have somewhat replaced the traditional books in some areas. Plenty of information out there to rely just on books.
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Guys

I used Todd Lammle for Network+, ccent, and CCNA. Really good books, not sure who else has used them. Well i emailed him on his website and asked when the new version of CCNP books are comming out. He basically said there is no money in books anymore because everyone downloads them for free online. SO no more CCNP but he will keep up with the CCNA.

SO with that bummed news, whats the best material out? The cisco press? I cant seem to find much else for the new CCNP route

Well you have 3-4 options for ROUTE:

OCG
    FLG
    ROUTE Simplified
    How to Master CCNP ROUTE

I've read them all and honestly the best book is either the FLG or the Simplified book. The OCG felt rushed and thrown together and didn't do that good of a job explaining key topics, imo. How to Master Route by Rene Molenaar is good if you're looking for a quick read that does a good job explaining key topics. It lacks details though. Also he's got some great free labs that are linked in the book. The 101 Labs for CCNP by the Simplified authors is also good. HTH
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats too bad, I used his for N+, CCENT and CCNA too... I hope he keeps contributing the networking profession in some capacity.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    koz24 wrote: »
    Well you have 3-4 options for ROUTE:

OCG
    FLG
    ROUTE Simplified
    How to Master CCNP ROUTE

I've read them all and honestly the best book is either the FLG or the Simplified book. The OCG felt rushed and thrown together and didn't do that good of a job explaining key topics, imo. How to Master Route by Rene Molenaar is good if you're looking for a quick read that does a good job explaining key topics. It lacks details though. Also he's got some great free labs that are linked in the book. The 101 Labs for CCNP by the Simplified authors is also good. HTH

awesome thanks! Going to have to look at those. Im taking a cisco academpy through a college here so i can work with the equipment at the college. Got my boss and anotehr guy to go so there is 3 of us. The book usually fills in the gaps of learning the cisco class dosnt do. So thanks for the info!
  • Options
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    I think there were always be a need for books but they are getting easier and easier to produce so there's not a lot of money for the authors. Besides that the explosion of sigial media, free guides, tutorials, blogs, etc have somewhat replaced the traditional books in some areas. Plenty of information out there to rely just on books.

yes true. Im taking the cisco academy so ill be in school and have other material to read for it. But i do like having a physical copy of the material. Its ice to not have to stare at a computer screen from time to time