Linux Foundation\edX.org Training--Essentials of System Administration (LFS201)

gphalpingphalpin Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone taken the Linux Foundation\edX.org course LFS201 that is geared toward preparing people for the Certified Sys Admin exam? If so, I'd appreciate any feedback. It hasn't been rated yet on edX.

The price isn't bad but want to make sure it's worthwhile. I have the Linux Bible and a Red Hat 7 cert book by Ghori. It would be nice to have structured training as well.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.edx.org/course/linux-system-administration-essentials-linuxfoundationx-lfs201x

Comments

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Is your goal to get the LFCS or become more familiar with Linux? If you want to become familiar with Linux, go check out the Urban Penguin's videos for LPIC-1 or Linux essentials (all for free).

If you want to learn RHEL, which sounds like it since you listed 2 books that focus on that OS, then I recommend checking out Safari Books Online. Look up Sander Van Gut's RHCSA 7 video course and his RHCSA 7 book.

I can vouch for both sources as excellent study resources. If you're trying to go for the LFCS, I recommend going through each of the objectives on the Linux Foundation site and studying them, also it appears they offer a free training guide near the bottom of the page:

https://training.linuxfoundation.org/certification/lfcs
    LinuxAcademy.com just released a LFCS prep course:

https://linuxacademy.com/linux/training/course/name/linux-foundation-certified-systems-administrator

They're monthly subscription is $29.
  • gphalpingphalpin Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info on Urban Penguin. I watched about a dozen of his videos and followed along since you posted. It's a great resource. The Safari Books video series with Sander van Vugt is also excellent. I signed up for a 10 day trial.

My goal is to become more knowledgable in Linux and become certified. I do mostly Windows and VMware administration and some basic Linux administration. I picked up a Linux Foundation SysAdmin certification voucher for $50 so I figured why not. I chose the CentOS distro for the test so the Red Hat videos by van Vugt also help.

Thanks again.
    Linux Academy also looks good. Thanks.
    gphalpin wrote: »
    Thanks for the info on Urban Penguin. I watched about a dozen of his videos and followed along since you posted. It's a great resource. The Safari Books video series with Sander van Vugt is also excellent. I signed up for a 10 day trial.

My goal is to become more knowledgable in Linux and become certified. I do mostly Windows and VMware administration and some basic Linux administration. I picked up a Linux Foundation SysAdmin certification voucher for $50 so I figured why not. I chose the CentOS distro for the test so the Red Hat videos by van Vugt also help.

Thanks again.

Sounds like my background. Now you have a list of resources to learn all about Linux. The most important part is practicing. Labbing using Linux Academy is nice, but if you want to go the free route, I suggest getting familiar with Vagrant; its a nice way to get a VM spun up in a matter of minutes.
    They just offered the training for $150 if purchased by August 28. It includes a voucher for the exam. Seems like a great deal. I was about to purchase the training last week. Glad i waited.

At the same time, they are lowering the price so much that it makes me wonder why. I hope the quality of the training is good and they are simply trying to promote the certification and give it some traction.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    On the reason for lowering the cost, they may have seen competition from Linux Academy, they just came up with a course on LFCSA. And also is probably because of just what you said: not really a go-to exam for Linux plus quite a few scathing reviews from those rare candidates that took the exam.
    Concept is great, hands-on instead of multiple-questions exam that you can take at home at your own time without making arrangements with testing centers, travel, lost time at work and everything else that entails. Execution however...