Options

MCDST Path...questions

TecShdwTecShdw Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok. My plan is to basically build myself from one exam to another. I want to do MCDST - MCSA - and eventually MCSE. Question is where do I start the study. I'm looking at the Microsoft books and I think I know where to start for my first test, but want to be certain.

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-270):
Mcdst Self-Paced Training Kit (exam 70-272):
Mcdst Self-Paced Training Kit (exam 70-271):

Those are what I know I'll have to do, should I start with 70-270 then to 271 then 272?

Thanks guys.
PC Technician Certified - MCSA Server 2003, MCTS-Vista
My Site - My Forum

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I think doing MCDST first will help you with 270. 271 and 272 are easier IMO, although I haven't actually taken it yet, I do know the material. As long as you study hard, it shouldn't really matter which of those you take first....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I used Sybex MCDST for 271, and 272 to get my MCP, MCDST.
    I'm using
    Mike Meyers passport Certification 70-291 and
    Mcgraw Hill Osborne All-in-One guide MCSA (270, 290, 291) to get my 291, and towards MCSA.

I dont currently have any plans for MCSE, but I think those MS Press for 291, 292, 293, and 294 books are really good because they have practice labs included. I just happen to have the Mcgraw Hill one because it was cheaper. I might also pick up MS Press for 290.

I wouldnt get the MS Press for 271, and 272, it's too expensive.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    So do the 270 First then? By the way, those books aren't horribly expensive, I have a place I like to get books from that always has good deals.

Mcdst Self-Paced Training Kit

Mcdst Self-Paced Training Kit

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit

I want to make sure I work up gradually. I've been looking around, it looks that the MCDST itself is a two part test, so I figure do the 1st and get MCP, then the 2nd, be MCDST and so on and so on till I've achieved my final goal. I've heard these books are all awsome though, I just want to make sure I start with the right one ;)

Thanks again guys, and thanks for such a great site, I've already read over the guide for the Network+ and was very happy.
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    If you want to work 'upwards' you should consider something like:

271 - MCP
    272 - MCDST
    291 - MCSA
    <optional Security/Messaging elective> - MCSA: Security/Messaging
    design elective - MCSE
    <optional Security/Messaging elective> - MCSE: Security/Messaging

From experience, MCDST really isnt that hard, even the 270 which is 'hrader' shouldnt be a big problem if you have intensive experience on Windows XP.

For myself, I decided to save some money for MCDST, so I got Sybex because that was cheaper for me. However now that I'm working towards MCSA, I am getting more materials because the stuff is harder, and one book probably isnt enough. So I have the one book that covers 270, 290, 291, but I have another seperate book for 291, and I might get another one for 290.

Good luck with your studies.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm guessing then I'll do the 270 (that'll get me MCDST and a step towards MCSA) because I do have what would be called intesive XP Knowledge (I've troubleshot it to the fullest since I was in the beta for it!).

Awsome, Thanks for the information and advice, now I just have to get my Network+ first (my wife said since I already have the book for it I HAVE to do it because we aren't wasting money on books...lol) But I'm basically ready for it, I just have to get the cash for the test (which will give me time to be certain I'll pass).

So I suppose that means I will start with this book MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-270): . Correct? How does that work Test wise? Is that actually 3 seperate tests, or 1 that covers 271/272/270? I haven't greatly looked into the test agression yet.
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    Do you have A+ from CompTIA? If so, you can simply go for 270 after your Network+. Because A+ & Network+ will satisfy electice requirement for MCSA, then you just need 270, 290, and 291.

271 and 272 make up the requirements for MCDST.
    270 is the client OS requirement for MCSA/MCSE.

So 270, 271, 272 are 3 seperate tests.
  • Options
    Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started with A+, and i recommend any new it guys try that out for size first. It's like a meet and greet between you and a computer."happy hunting"
    YoungFred.jpg
  • Options
    I do not have the A+. Basically the PC tech cert I have was the same thing as the A+ at the time, I'm sure A+ has changed alot since then (1999) but I'm definitely up-to-date on Hardware and Software. I'm not a new IT guy so where does this leave me? I'll do Network+ soon, then should I go for 271/272 for MCDST then move on to 270? That would be what I would thing according to Microsoft's site at least.

So many different tests, I'll hop over the Microsoft's site again tonight at work when I get a chance and look over it also. Thanks again for your help guys!

Edit.
    According to what I'm looking at for MCDST I would need to take 2 exams
    - 70-271
    - 71-272

Then I would be MCDST and could move on to the other 3 for the MCSA. Having the Network+ would basically be a + for the MCSA because the MCDST is one of the required electives (and so is the Network+ and A+) I may end up doing A+ also [I don't think it would be too much of an issue, I deal with Hardware on a daily basis and was studied up for it once before, I would have to 'brush up' skills mor than anything ;) ]
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    Let's just back track a little and figure out why you need these certifications? Are you getting them for the sake of getting them? Dont try to get every possible certification, it's not what its about.

Take things slowly, unless your job requires MCDST, perhaps you could do without for now.

271, 272 only applies to MCDST, yes, which also applies to MCSA, but not MCSE.

If you want to have 'entry-level' certification, perhaps you could focus on your Network+ and A+ first, and then grab 70-270 for a MCP. And then work on 290, 291 for MCSA. The MCDST is a little redundant if you say you already have lots of experience with Windows XP.
  • Options
    Well, I'm getting them for career advancement. MCDST for instance, I know most of the information but for me to advance my career but where I work (and most places) certification is much preferred. Reason for the MCSA and the MCSE is that once I advance my career that 1 step further, I obviously want to be prepared to go beyond that. ;) I'm working right now on the Network+ and plan to get that before I begin to study for anythign else (I don't want to confuse any information on testing here...1 thing at a time is exactly what I plan to do). Not even so much for career advancement where I work, but really to set me on the path to be able to advance in general. Most of the places that I look at jobs I want to be in 'require' these particular certifications. I definitely am not getting them 'just because' They are too expensive and require too much time for that (I have 3 children ha ha, studying can be hard sometimes).
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    TecShdw wrote:
    Well, I'm getting them for career advancement. MCDST for instance, I know most of the information but for me to advance my career but where I work (and most places) certification is much preferred. Reason for the MCSA and the MCSE is that once I advance my career that 1 step further, I obviously want to be prepared to go beyond that. ;) I'm working right now on the Network+ and plan to get that before I begin to study for anythign else (I don't want to confuse any information on testing here...1 thing at a time is exactly what I plan to do). Not even so much for career advancement where I work, but really to set me on the path to be able to advance in general. Most of the places that I look at jobs I want to be in 'require' these particular certifications. I definitely am not getting them 'just because' They are too expensive and require too much time for that (I have 3 children ha ha, studying can be hard sometimes).

That's good to hear. I guess MCSA and MCSE are your 'long-term' goals? Perhaps you could set a timeline for yourself. Like Network+ by the end of the month or something?

I'm in my last year of university, and since last summer, that's exactly what I have been doing. I started with A+, then MCDST, I got my network+ this past month. Next is MCSA, and then CCNA will be next up.

Good luck on your career advancing. We're here to support and help with that.

Cheers...
  • Options
    Thank you! Goals are exactly how I'm going to do this. BUT I have a bit till I can take my Network+ because of the cash for the exam itself. So unfortunately it won't be till early-mid '07 before I can actually take it (unless my employer will pay for the test which they might, I'm still looking into this).

My wife and I have discussed it in depth as far as a timeline for getting what I need and want done. As long as I can stick with it, I'll have everything in the next 2 years (I guess that isn't too bad considering the 'barrowed' study time with kids and all ah ha). Honestly though, I think that the Microsoft stuff will be alot easier to study for simply because it's all stuff I am doing all of the time (and I deeply enjoy it), not so much like the Network+ with all of the studying and no real labs or anything (plus the exams are cheaper, individually at least)
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    Just want to also let you know about:

http://www.getcertify4less.com/techexams.html

TechExams is affiliated with them, and you can get discounted vouchers (to save some money) while helping out this forum.

Cheers.
  • Options
    I noticed that, Not too bad of a discount either icon_lol.gif I will most certainly be using that site the momment I have the money to purchase my voucher. There is a VUE testing place about 45 miles from me icon_wink.gif

Thanks again!
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    TecShdw wrote:
    There is a VUE testing place about 45 miles from me icon_wink.gif

Thanks again!

45miles? icon_eek.gif oh my goodness......
    I have 3 VUE testing centres within 4.5 minutes of walking distance.
  • Options
    Ha ha. Look up where I live on Mapquest, I'm in BFE!!!

Zipcode is 16915. I have to go into a different STATE to test even!
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    Oh crap....sorry to hear that dude.
    Anyway, good luck to your studies with your Network+/MCDST.
  • Options
    ha ha, you'd be even more sorry to know that I worked for Adelphia Communications (if you've heard of them) that was recently aquired by Time Warner and Comcast..Meaning I went for a bit here in the last month and 1/2 on limited pay while transitioning and don't have a clue how long my job will be around! I can't wait to get back to civilized land again once I get my stuff together...
    My Site - My Forum