Options

Just got enrolled in the VMware course at StanlyCommunity. Need pointers.

GreenHornetGreenHornet Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got enrolled in the course. I'm trying to be proactive here, and get a leg up on everything prior to the course starting. Has anyone ever used the BOSON VCP labsimulation ? I'm wondering if there anygood.

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The course is a series of videos and then labs. I wouldn't pay for the Boson labsims until after you are done with the course. You can also get free copies of VMware's products, so you can set up your own labs.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Thanks for the info stryder.
  • Options
    Shane2Shane2 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When did you sign up on the waiting list?

I signed up in June, and I know its a little soon, but I was hoping for a ballpark.
  • Options
    I got on the waiting list in April of this year.
  • Options
    JohnPFJohnPF Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    The course is a series of videos and then labs. I wouldn't pay for the Boson labsims until after you are done with the course. You can also get free copies of VMware's products, so you can set up your own labs.

How and when can you get the free ESXi software? I'm using the free single proc version and would like to set up 2 ESXi hosts in my home lab.

John
  • Options
    VadilVadil Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I just finished my training. you can start immediately and complete your Class videos / Quizzes/ Labs. Introduce yourself in the forum. Plan your lab times carefully as there is a lag/latency in commands you pass via the web client. Also, don't bother emailing the faculty as the reply never comes. Don't depend on this training alone as the videos are pre-recorded and its just plain reading. Try going for CBT Nuggets VCP 5.5 by Keith Barker. Also, go through the Mastering ESXi 5.5 By Scott Lowe.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't remember where to get the software at, to be honest. I think someone mentioned it on this forum. Let me check, I'll get back to you, JohnPF. Vadil...that sucks that no one replied. I emailed the instructor a few times and usually received a response within 24 hrs. In fact, I misconfigured something and couldn't figure out what, in frustration I emailed the instructor. He emailed me back within the hour (it was probably 9 or 10 Eastern) and had me call his office line. He walked me through everything and showed me how to trouble shoot configuration errors. Overall, a pretty good experience for me.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    GBAKER2204GBAKER2204 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can get the 5.5 binaries for evaluation here: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=vsphere-55 and there are more trials to be found here: https://www.vmware.com/try-vmware/ I hope this helps.

Update: Wow....well that doesn't work. The page still exists but you get a VSphere 6 eval. VMWare really want everyone to use v6. Possibly contact the college and ask for the binaries from them?
    WIP: 2017 - VCP6.5-DCV (Achieved), VCAP6-DCV, Citrix CCA-V