certifications, exam listing... My route.

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello.

I am currently studying 70-270 for MCP and then my route is as follows:

70-291 - Taking 291 first because it's about installing and implementing. Should (hopefully) make the 290 a little easier.
70-290 - MCSA (With A+ and Network+ as electives)

70-293
70-294
70-298
70-228
70-229 - MCSE - MCDBA

70-285
70-284 - MCSA:Messaging
70-297 - MCSE:Messaging

I will also TRY and study for some CompTIA certs after the completion of the microsoft.

CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Project+
CompTIA Security+
CompTIA Server+

The reason of those certs is because, an employer usually loves to see Linux of a resume.

Project+ is so that you can manage people in a good manner.

Security+, well... everyone just loves security. Should be an easy cert.

Sever+ is just for the fact that I can do it. I understand that server+ is more of the building of the server and not much of the administration.

I am having a hard time deciding whether I should take CCNA in between the Microsoft and CompTIA exams.

I am searching through websites to find a decent lab kit. The best seem to be on ebay, so I might go that route.

I think I will take the CCNA after Microsoft and CompTIA certs.

If anyone would like to offer some advise, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jamie
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you have it all in place. just know that voucher's will be your bestfriends lol. good luck

(ALWAYS APPLY YOURSELF BEFORE YOU DENY YOURSELF)
    YoungFred.jpg
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    @jamie.english

-you plan so many , but think , cand you afford ( intelectualy & with money ..) all of them.It's a hard thing to doing , and requires making a good base for understanding the concept.

I think ( I only think ) , that CCNA is the basci's of all .I give you an example.I took my CCNA and then I can easily gain some MS cert's , like 70-270 , 70-271 , 70-290 , 70-291.I mean , I was a completely n00b in networking and IT world but learning for my CCNA ( and searching for it , not only learning the lesson ).I learn then I search , and finaly understand and practice.I have obtain a good basic's ( I think ) and then moved to Linux and MS cert's.

I recommand you CCNA , and if you don't want your CCNA ( but later ) you can make 70-270 and the 70-291 .( there are many thing's cover like in CCNA there .. but CCNA is more complex ).

You talking about Linux , but I can told you that seeing a BSD ( FreeBSD ) or Solaris , diploma in your CV ( like SUN BigAdmin ) , is more convienent.Just a tip.You have to learn Linux .. and then the rest.Is simple just .. learn and practice and undertand.
    Security+, well... everyone just loves security. Should be an easy cert

I know , I love security to , but I don't think is an easy cert .I mean if you learn it is , but don't give it the easy mark , coz ...

You have to take , much much time , for MS and CompTia exam's .. don't rush , coz a wrong basics .. will conclude falling the exam's and a lot more.

Hope you got my idea dude ! Good luck icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • RD28327RD28327 Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am having a somewhat similar dilemma, which cert to prepare for next after I finsh up my MCDST (I have yet to take exam 70-272, but I hope to get around to it before the end of the year). I am debating on whether to start on my MCSA or go for the CCNA. Would like to know which one I should start on first.

Sure both certs are great to have, but I would rather concentrate on one cert at a time, one exam at a time. Thus, I need to pick one to begin with ...... Also, considering my background as a desktop support/PC tech, which cert would complement my background more?

Seems like the CCNA has a bigger "return on investment" in terms of time involved studying and money spent on books, home lab hardware and other study materials ..... Just my $0.02 worth ......
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    RD28327 wrote:
    I am having a somewhat similar dilemma, which cert to prepare for next after I finsh up my MCDST (I have yet to take exam 70-272, but I hope to get around to it before the end of the year). I am debating on whether to start on my MCSA or go for the CCNA. Would like to know which one I should start on first.

Sure both certs are great to have, but I would rather concentrate on one cert at a time, one exam at a time. Thus, I need to pick one to begin with ...... Also, considering my background as a desktop support/PC tech, which cert would complement my background more?

Seems like the CCNA has a bigger "return on investment" in terms of time involved studying and money spent on books, home lab hardware and other study materials ..... Just my $0.02 worth ......

We're like in the same boat. I'm a tiny bit ahead of you because I have my MCDST already. I have decided to go to MCSA first.

Yes the return of CCNA is bigger, but I think ROI is the same. (I specialize in Management Science, so I thought about this alot). Investment of CCNA is bigger, more return, MCSA has smaller investment, less return, so ROI is the same.

I do plan to get CCNA shortly after I complete MCSA.

To date:

MCSA
    Books: 7.5 + 75 = 82.5
    Equipment: old small business server with Win2k3 license $150
    Exam: 130 + 130 + 130
    Total: =$622.5

CCNA
    Books: 20
    Equipment: 450 and counting
    Exam: 150
    Total: $620 + another ~200 for switches + 100 for 1-2 more books. = $920

All costs in CAD...but you get the idea. CCNA costs more. Yes, I agree, I got a deal on the win2k3 equipment, and I am paying more than I need to for CCNA equipment, but in 'general' CCNA is a bigger investment, thus more 'risks'.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Each microsoft test takes 80$ USD in my country. At least I'm lucky that the test cost is cheaper here.

I'm not taking any more cert even if I'm ready for it. They just dont' care that much abot certificate where I live. It seems the pay are almost the same either you are certified or not.

I believe the best way to study is read everything on MCSE then take all the test at the same time. That way it better ensure you didn't cram for the test and forget.
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I believe the best way to study is read everything on MCSE then take all the test at the same time. That way it better ensure you didn't cram for the test and forget.

Wow... Good luck!! icon_rolleyes.gif
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□

I'm sure you still remember everything from 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294 don't you icon_wink.gif
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sToNeDcNuT wrote:

If you are able to learn like that then my hat is off to you :)
  • Young FredYoung Fred Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well im not the type to discourage anyone, merely update them on the road ahead. Test preparation well keep you from wasting valuable bucks. It's nothing worst then seeing that you have failed or something like that dont quote me on that. But i know it will be hard work and not FOR the faint hearted goodluck though again.

(ALWAYS APPLY YOURSELF BEFORE YOU DENY YOURSELF)
    YoungFred.jpg