DOCSIS 3 Cisco IOS Router

mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I'm moving into a house that has Comcast/Xfinity for internet. Since I am studying for my CCIE I'll need to set up some pretty weird port forwarding/NAT rules on my router so that I can access everything from work/the road. I'm already experienced with IOS and figured it would be easier than having to learn DD-WRT or Tomato.

Do you all know of a Cisco router that supports DOCSIS 3 (or whatever the requirement is for a Comcast cable modem) so that I could use it as both a cable modem and home router? I'll be using Ubiquiti wireless APs so all I need is a router/modem that I can use. I'd also prefer multiple gigabit ports but at worst one port would do and I would just use a cheap gig switch.

I'm looking for something similar to the 841 that is small and quiet but still runs IOS so that I can leverage my professional experience on my home router :) My whole lab is virtualized and silent and I'd like to keep that streak going. I'm looking to keep it under about $100 but willing to go up a bit if necessary to hit all of the requirements above. For some reason I'm having a terrible time navigating Cisco's site to find the product info I need so I'm bringing it to you all for some input/advice.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Comments

• mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also... I could've misunderstood whether or not DOCSIS 3 is a requirement, I know there are a breadth of DOCSIS 2.0 IOS routers out there I could snag for cheap.
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not just use a regular old DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem to an ethernet WAN interface on any cisco router of your choice?
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just put the Comcast modem into bridge mode.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks... after some more googling that seems to be the best way. I just don't like having devices in the network that I don't control. Guess that's something I'll have to give up on the consumer side for now.
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a Comcast customer as well, but I've always just purchased my own modem. I never use theirs. Something like the SURFboard SB6121 is DOCSIS 3.0 compatible and not too expensive at around $50-60 depending on where you look.

I'm actually looking at picking up a Cisco 892 to setup in my own home network. I've been running DD-WRT on an old Cisco Linksys E900, and it does the basics, but I'm working on my CCNP now, so I'd like something to get a little more practice on.