Options

Can you guys take a look at my resume

DWitherDWither Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Im building my resume so i have it ready once i get my a+ ill be ready to apply. The only thing that will change is when i get my a+ it will be listed under the cert area. Also what do you guys think of the format with the red bar. I wanted it to stand out but i didnt want it to be to much.

I have zero IT experiance so this is an entry level resume

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Ba7lIePLW-r9yoybJhsPAqwafmXdMO89mtIjJt18Yw/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

• Options
    john_mirandajohn_miranda Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My suggestion would be to remove the "References" section, it really doesn't add anything to your resume.
  • Options
    My suggestion would be to remove the "References" section, it really doesn't add anything to your resume.

thank you
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd definitely ditch the giant space waster on the side.

Try to highlight anything technology related you've done in any of your jobs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I'd definitely ditch the giant space waster on the side.

Try to highlight anything technology related you've done in any of your jobs.

Thank you

i listed the software updates since thats the only thing in my work history thats related . Ive alwys built my own pc's ive built a nas ive even ran ethernet word in my mothers house and made wall plugs but im not sure if and how to put those non work activities in my resume
  • Options
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Much better than the previous, I actually like the layout. If I could give you any criticism, since you are seeking a job in IT, I would highlight any and all computer detail at your previous jobs, and list them FIRST before all job duties. If you currently have or are studying for any IT certs you should list that as well.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    danny069 wrote: »
    Much better than the previous, I actually like the layout. If I could give you any criticism, since you are seeking a job in IT, I would highlight any and all computer detail at your previous jobs, and list them FIRST before all job duties. If you currently have or are studying for any IT certs you should list that as well.

I'm studying for my A+ now. I wasn't going to apply for any jobs until after I got my cert I figured I wouldn't get interviews without it anyways.

The only relevant experience i have is updating the sales system at my Dunkin job.

I did try to really point out the call center experience since that's an important part of help desk jobs

Thank you for your input
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like you've received some good feedback so far. I agree that your revised resume looks a whole lot better than the first one.

Once you get your foot in the door and land an IT position, your resume will start to really take shape. Good luck on the A+, btw. Do you have plans to pursue a degree in IT or related field? Consider WGU if you don't like the idea of attending a brick and mortar.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)