!!!Passed the CompTIA Network+ (N10-005) Exam Today!!!

Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed the CompTIA Network+ (N10-005) exam today with an 823 out of a 900. Not bad at all. That's about a 90% I scored on the examicon_cheers.gif. I am very happy to finally obtain the Network+ certification :D. Next up. It's looking like (not officially) I'm going to be studying for the Linux+ (LX0-103 & LX0-104) exam because there might be a possibility I may get a job with a company that requires the certification. If hired, I will receive the Linux+ material to prep for both exams while working for the company. After I complete that, than I will study for the Security+. However, this path is not set in stone as of yet. The path depends if I get hired. If not, I will then study for the Security+ as originally planned. Anyway, I just wanted to tell everyone here on this forum that I am very thankful for the help I got in terms of having my questions answered to better prep for the Network+ exam. Therefore, thank you. :D
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR

Comments

• Michael-Michael- Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you. :D

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    About time!!

You kept pushing & pushing the date back... was kind of getting worried for ya!
    On a scale of 1-10... how hard was the N10-005?

Personally, I thought it was a CakeWalk.

--
    As for the Linux+.... i'm not so sure.
    If you have ZERO experience with Linux... You might rather work towards your Sec+, Complete school, and give yourself More options.

Linux is great... but it's a completely different O.S. You have to learn a lot from Scratch.

Ask youself this:
    How good are your Dos/Cmd skills?
    Are you a Windows command-line (powershell) guru?
    Do you like that kind of stuff?
    Be honest.

If the answer is Yes... then the Linux world could be a natural Fit.

But if the answer is No.... You might want to think twice.

Or perhaps you already have Basic hands-on linux experience??
    If so, then completely disregard everything i just said.

Personally, the best way to Learn Linux... is to Install it on a PC and play on it.
    Don't be afraid to break it, and have to reinstall the OS.
    Have fun with it... and Gain your own Appreciation for it.
    Go on youtube and start watching some playlists.
    Learn and Take it all in At your Own Pace.
    But Don't do it just because you "HAVE TO" for a job....

fyi, I have over 10 years of hobby experience. Started On Redhat, switched to Suse, and currently play in Ubuntu.
    It's Great... and i Do NOT regret it. (i even earned my LPI)
    But it was my Choice... which is important because Linux is a LOT to learn.

If you go down the linux road... Check out
    https://elementary.io/

not a bad distro to start out with...
  • tt3000gttt3000gt Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man. I am scheduled to take the N10-005 test this Sunday. Any advice? How were the simulation/performance questions?
    volfkhat wrote: »
    About time!!

You kept pushing & pushing the date back... was kind of getting worried for ya!
    On a scale of 1-10... how hard was the N10-005?

Personally, I thought it was a CakeWalk.

--
    As for the Linux+.... i'm not so sure.
    If you have ZERO experience with Linux... You might rather work towards your Sec+, Complete school, and give yourself More options.

Linux is great... but it's a completely different O.S. You have to learn a lot from Scratch.

Ask youself this:
    How good are your Dos/Cmd skills?
    Are you a Windows command-line (powershell) guru?
    Do you like that kind of stuff?
    Be honest.

If the answer is Yes... then the Linux world could be a natural Fit.

But if the answer is No.... You might want to think twice.

Or perhaps you already have Basic hands-on linux experience??
    If so, then completely disregard everything i just said.

Personally, the best way to Learn Linux... is to Install it on a PC and play on it.
    Don't be afraid to break it, and have to reinstall the OS.
    Have fun with it... and Gain your own Appreciation for it.
    Go on youtube and start watching some playlists.
    Learn and Take it all in At your Own Pace.
    But Don't do it just because you "HAVE TO" for a job....

fyi, I have over 10 years of hobby experience. Started On Redhat, switched to Suse, and currently play in Ubuntu.
    It's Great... and i Do NOT regret it. (i even earned my LPI)
    But it was my Choice... which is important because Linux is a LOT to learn.

If you go down the linux road... Check out
    https://elementary.io/

not a bad distro to start out with...

Hey volkhfat,

I kept pushing the date back because of scheduling conflicts. However, I was able to straighten it out. Anyway, from a scale from 1 to 10. I thought the exam was about a 5. There were however, some questions that were pretty tricky. I had to flag the tricky questions and came back to them once I had answered all of the other questions. Other than that, I was able to figure them out after reading them about 2 or 3 times. Overall, some of the questions were really easy to answer. I had 85 questions in total with 6 performance base questions (which were pretty easy except two). After finally answering all 85 questions, I had about 11 minutes remaining and I just wan over all of the questions to make sure they were right. Once I got done, I clicked on the finished button and answered about 12 survey questions and the next screen said "Congratulations". Once I saw that, I was very happy that I passed and that the studying I did paid off. I scored a 823 out of a 900. Not bad at all.

About my next path....

I do have Linux basic hands-on experience because I had to learn it when I was in college. It was a requirement for my computer science degrees that I have now. Trust me, I am no stranger when it comes to Linux. I just need to get better with the commands. Furthermore, I am not studying for the Linux+ exam because the job requires it. I was already thinking about studying for it anyway, it just so happens that the company that I want to work for requires the Linux+ certification. I said to myself, way not study for it anyway. However, I still want to study for my Security+ certification as originally planned. My next path depends if I get hired. If I do, Linux+ I'll study, if not, I'll study for the Security+ first and than the Linux+. Others are telling my I should start to study for the CCNA first since I just passed the Network+ exam. It's a very good point. I do have the updated CCNA Routing & Switching books to start studying for the certification. Therefore, I am taking that advice into concentration. However, like I said, we'll see what my next path will be. Either way, I still plan to study the CCNA, Linux+, and Security+ certification exams, it depends on what path I take first. What do you think? Advice is highly welcomed. Anyway, for now, I'm going to take a little bit of a break from studying because I am a bit tired. But, it will not be a long break. Anyway, thank you for the congratulations.

• RubbberDuckyRubbberDucky Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif I am looking at taking the exam soon.. What did you use as study resources?
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif I am looking at taking the exam soon.. What did you use as study resources?

Thank you. The resources I used is as follows....

ExamCram CompTIA Network+ by Emmett Dulaney and Michael Harwood (Book and Practice Test Engine) - Read it twice.
    All-In-One CompTIA Network+ by Mike Meyers (Book and Practice Test Engine)
    Professor Messer Videos
    ExamCompass.com
    Cybrary.it
    Quizlet
    Flashcards

Repetition is key when taking the practice tests, flashcards, and quizlet quizzes. You will be surprised at how much you retain in terms of memory. When reading the book, read for about 25 to 30 minutes and then stop to take a 5 minute break. Do that until you finish the chapter. Do it again for each chapter until you finish the book better yet. You follow that routine and you will retain more information. Just me, it works. I wish you the best of luck with your Network+ studies. icon_thumright.gif

• volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yo!
    Ok Cool, your background info defintely helps clear things up. Forget what i was saying... do what you want :]

Linux - Security - CCNA

Three different Paths... No Right Answer.. No Wrong Answer :]