Studying for 801 topics and then studying for 802 topics?

ciullo324ciullo324 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just purchased the Mike Meyers' All In One exam guide 8th edition. I noticed that throughout the table of contents, it gives you a wonderful break down of each chapter, and what information each chapter consists of. It also shows (801) and (802) in the chapter section to let the reader know which info. will be covered on the 220-801 exam and which info. will be covered on the 220-802 exam.

Now, would it be best if I read through the entire book first and then look over everything for the 801 along with professor Messer's videos? Or just go through the entire book ONLY looking at the 801 section for the 801 test. Then, when it comes time for the 802, ONLY look at the topics covered in 802 (Just like how professor Messer seperates them on his website). It's not that I am lazy, trust me I am not. It's just that to read 1,400+ pages and then have to go back and read the same info. all over because you took in too much reading things for the 802. I know it would probably be better in the long run to familiarize myself in advance with topics on the second portion of the exam, but I feel like it would be easier to dedicate myself solely to one test topic at a time. Is there any plus/negative for taking this preparation route??

I plan on going for the 801 first and then taking time to study for the 802.

Comments

• wangxjj123wangxjj123 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, to answer your question based on my experience, the Meyer's book has many details and breakdown of everything. However, the book was too long for me because of my schedule and also it will be hard for me to review after the book. So I used the "Exam Cram", which covers the main topics but not as detailed and also doing many practice tests. As far as the videos, I didn't get a chance to watch any but I got enough to pass the A+. I don't have any IT experience but as long as you take notes and really commit to the study you will be fine. My test strategy was to answer all questions till the end and check for review for the ones I wasn't sure about and I go though the whole test again. 90 Minutes is a long time to do both of these things so time should not be a concern.
  • thisissohardthisissohard Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have read both books and I have to say that I like Exam Cram a little better because it gets straight to the point. The Meyers book seems to give more context. In all fairness, I would not have understood the Exam Cram book that well if I did not read the Meyers book first. It gives a lot of background, but as you said, it is very very long.
  • ashernatanelashernatanel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I split the 801 and 802 material. I think it all depends on how you plan to take the exams; both the same day? One right after the other? I'm studying for them separately because I knew going into it that I was going to separate the exams by a month, that way I wouldn't be too overloaded with all my classes, work, and studying for certs. Just passed the 801, and I'll start studying the 802 material probably tomorrow.
  • ciullo324ciullo324 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Exactly,
    I am taking the 801 first and then scheduling the 802 later on. I start my senior yr of college in a week and between school, part time work doing QA testing, and other priorities, reading the full 1,400 pages is extremely tedious on top of all the coursework from school. I'm already 6 chapters in out of the 32. It's very easy too read, but also can get annoying when I have to read an entire chapter on 802 material when I am studying for the 801. How did you perform while only studying for the 801 ? I don't have any formal IT experience, but I've been troubleshooting, setting up, and researching about them for atleast 10 years. I do like Meyers' All in One for the sole reason I do not know every little nitty gritty thing about the hardware aspect. Thanks
  • muktamukta Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think first you should read the whole book. I am teaching the student, so i know about this very much. If you read the whole book, then you can answer the whole question and reading whole will help you to understand the subject very clearly.
  • ciullo324ciullo324 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mukta,

Even though some chapters are solely dedicated to the 802 portion of the exam? I know I will have to go over it eventually. Im not just reading the 801 parts. If it has 801 in the chapter then i read the ENTIRE chapter, even the 802 material because like you said, they go hand in hand. I was just wondering if it would make sense to skip the chapters that are only dedicated to the 802 material for now since nothing pertains to that of 801.
  • ashernatanelashernatanel Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ciullo324 wrote: »
    Exactly,
    How did you perform while only studying for the 801 ? I don't have any formal IT experience, but I've been troubleshooting, setting up, and researching about them for atleast 10 years. I do like Meyers' All in One for the sole reason I do not know every little nitty gritty thing about the hardware aspect. Thanks
    I got a 700. The Myers books is great, but it probably goes above and beyond what is strictly necessary to pass the exams. I used the Exam Cram book which is a lot smaller, and watched Professor Messer videos, along with buying Messer's A+ study guide.