IP Summarization

kwyapkwyap Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Please advise, I have netowrk
172.16.0.0/16
172.17.0.0/16
172.18.0.0/16
172.19.0.0/16

Could these network summarized as 172.16.0.0/14 ?
I'm going to do a manual summarization on RIPv2 interface.

TQVM in advance.

Comments

• JVEJVE Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    well 172. is a class B, so really i dont think you will get less then 16 bits with that. You need to work with that third octet
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kwyap wrote:
    Could these network summarized as 172.16.0.0/14 ?
    Plugging that Network Address and Prefix into the TechExams.net IP Subnet Calculator, I get a mask of 255.252.0.0 and 1 Subnet with 262142 Hosts.

Network address 172.16.0.0
    Broadcast address 172.19.255.255
    And Valid Host Range of 172.16.0.1 - 172.19.255.254

Hum, after a couple of beers and confirming with the TechExams.net IP Subnet Calculator, I'd say the answer is Yes.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • dmafteidmaftei Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    ...and 1 Subnet with 262142 Hosts.
    It's a supernet though... icon_wink.gif I guess somebody should fix the calculator.
    BSEE, MSCS
    www.maftei.net
  • kwyapkwyap Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone of you have done it before?

When i apply it on the bound interface, a message prompted
    "Subnet mask must be greater or equal to the major net"

Theoritically it should work, right? Can anyone explain it?
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kwyap wrote:

Are you sure you changed the rip version to 2?It's just Ripv1 doesnt support cidr, i will check it later in my lab if this isnt the problem.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
    I dont think you will ever get that to work. A class B, is the major network address and once you actually type a number like 172, you are forced to have at least 16 bits, no less. That would be like typing the number 10 and putting a 5 bit mask, the router will not accept that. Try a 10.x.x.x and put a mask that has 13 bits and it will work, but you wont get the router to accept a 14 bit mask as a summary route or any other thing with less then 16 bits of a class b address. At least I dont think so.

That calculator saying it is possible or not, I dont think it is right.
    JVE, you think wrong, using a mask smaller than the major network is called
    supernetting or cidr.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ed is correct, it does work. My LAN has 2 class C subnets using a 255.255.254.0 mask behind a single router and it works just fine as a supernet. Been running this way with over 400 hosts just fine for a few years.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    ok, i just been going by examples and I have never seen them give such an example. I have no doubts you guys are right.
    kwyap wrote:

Ripv2 does support cidr but it is not supported with cisco's implementation.
    So the message prompt you receive is the correct behaviour.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JVE wrote:
    ok, i just been going by examples and I have never seen them give such an example. I have no doubts you guys are right.
    Learning from each other is great, isn't it?
    Just search through a few of my posts and you'll see how many times I have been corrected by folks who know more than me. I have been known to cause a superiority complex in others who hang around me icon_lol.gif .
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    ed_the_lad wrote:

Cisco claims that it does:
    Cisco's implementation of RIP Version 2 supports plain text and MD5 authentication, route summarization, classless interdomain routing (CIDR), and variable-length subnet masks (VLSMs).

I tried this on a 12.3 version and it works fine when setting RIP to version 2 and disabling auto summarization.
    BubbaJ wrote:
    ed_the_lad wrote:

Cisco's implementation of RIP Version 2 supports plain text and MD5 authentication, route summarization, classless interdomain routing (CIDR), and variable-length subnet masks (VLSMs).

I tried this on a 12.3 version and it works fine when setting RIP to version 2 and disabling auto summarization.

I cant see where in the link you provided it says it supports specifying summarization less than the major net.
    Check out summarization restrictions
    Rip ios 12.4
    I have 12.3(15) and it doesnt work for me.
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    I think the answer is :

{ I only find you the sumarize for those 4 segment's } :
    172.16.0.0/16
    172.17.0.0/16
    172.18.0.0/16
    172.19.0.0/16

You can use this 172 ( I mean first 8 bite's are the same with all IP's segment ).Now let's see how many bite's from the second octect are the same with all four ( and then sum thos 8 + x byte's and get the sumariez ).

16 = 00010000
    17 = 00010001
    18 = 00010010
    19 = 00010011

and get 8+6 mean 14 so the sumariez route is 172.16.0.0/14 .

I think this was helpful !

icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
    !30 wrote:
    I think the answer is :

{ I only find you the sumarize for those 4 segment's } :
    172.16.0.0/16
    172.17.0.0/16
    172.18.0.0/16
    172.19.0.0/16

You can use this 172 ( I mean first 8 bite's are the same with all IP's segment ).Now let's see how many bite's from the second octect are the same with all four ( and then sum thos 8 + x byte's and get the sumariez ).

16 = 00010000
    17 = 00010001
    18 = 00010010
    19 = 00010011

and get 8+6 mean 14 so the sumariez route is 172.16.0.0/14 .

I think this was helpful !

icon_wink.gif
    Maybe you should read the thread before responding, go and try summarize 172.16.0.0/14 on a real router using rip.Then when it doesnt work come back and read the thread again.
  • kwyapkwyap Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Study from BSCI, RIPv2 doesn't support discontiguos network. Is this the reason i couldn't summarise it to 14 bit of subnet mask?
    kwyap wrote:
    Study from BSCI, RIPv2 doesn't support discontiguos network. Is this the reason i couldn't summarise it to 14 bit of subnet mask?
    This is not the reason why,ripv2 does support discontiguous networks when you disable auto-summary.Ripv1 however does not.The reason you cant is purely down to ios coding, for some reason the developer choose not to allow
    supernet summarization.
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    BubbaJ wrote:
    ed_the_lad wrote:

I cant see where in the link you provided it says it supports specifying summarization less than the major net.
    Check out summarization restrictions
    Rip ios 12.4
    I have 12.3(15) and it doesnt work for me.
    It says it supports CIDR. I will do this again when I have access to my equipment. I'm not where I can try it again. I will try the exact addresses in the original question. I did this with some Class C addresses as a CIDR block.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    BubbaJ wrote:
    It says it supports CIDR.
    I tried it with those addresses and RIP V2 and got the same message.

From RFC 2453
    supernet routes (routes with a netmask less specific than the "natural" network mask) must not be advertised where they could be misinterpreted by RIP-1 routers.

Looks like it might have been "programmer choice." Probably could have been programed to work in an all Version 2 network.... but changing documention is easier. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    BubbaJ wrote:
    It says it supports CIDR. I will do this again when I have access to my equipment. I'm not where I can try it again. I will try the exact addresses in the original question. I did this with some Class C addresses as a CIDR block.
    Supernet advertisement (advertising any network prefix less than its classful major network) is not allowed in RIP route summarization, other than advertising a supernet learned in the routing tables. Supernets learned on any interface that is subject to configuration are still learned.

For example, the following summarization is invalid: (invalid supernet summarization)

Router(config)# interface Ethernet 1

Router(config-if)# ip summary-address rip 10.0.0.0 252.0.0.0
    Which means CIDR is indirectly supported,but not supported in the way discussed in this thread.So cisco can justify their claim to support CIDR.