Anyone else currently studying for CCDA?

late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
I've watched the CBT Nuggets as an overview and am about 400 pages deep into the OCG. I'm planing on being selective of the chapters to read in the FLG before scheduling an exam.

Not super stoked about this exam, but I have a surplus of time at work, and it's a pre-req for CCDP.

Initial thoughts: I find it absurd that a fair portion of "References and Recommend Readings" is CCIE reading list material. Quite literally "CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide" is listed at the end of Chapters 10 and 11. Somehow studying Expert level material to prepare for an Associate level exam does not bode well with me... Barring that, much of it has been a great review. I find I am weak in the Wireless area, and I expect to be weak in the Voice/Video area as well, likely security too.

Anyway, any other monkeys in this circus?

Comments

• rjon17469rjon17469 Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep in mind the recommended readings are just that, recommended. There's certain knowledge you need to have for both the CCDA and CCIE, you just need to have a lot more of some of it for the IE. They're taking the cautious route and recommending more in-depth content than what you will be tested on.

Don't let that phase you. The OCG will have what you need to know, the recommended readings will have more info if you want to dig into something.

Good luck!
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a couple weeks away from taking the exam, in review mode at the moment. I read OCG, FLG, Top-Down networking, and a host of Cisco white papers those books recommended. I need to brush up on my security topics, it's killing me
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • mitchflossinmitchflossin Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just passed the CCDA exam on the 14th after failing it once. I was really disappointed with Cisco in the quality of the questions and surprised at how few questions I had in most of the blueprint topics. I guess it worked out OK because I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with some of the technologies.

If you have a CCNP in RS, or at least some experience with redistribution, route summarization, filtering, etc - that will help. I can't imagine trying to take this exam with only CCNA level knowledge (although I'm sure some people, much smarter than me, pass it with flying colors with much less experience than me).

I mainly used the OCG and CBT Nuggets to prepare. There were a handful of questions that weren't addressed in any of the material I had (OCG, FLG, ARCH). I read through the FLG (after failing my first attempt) but found the majority of the material overlapped with the OCG so I spent most of my time reviewing the OCG again. I only read a few chapters of the ARCH book.

This exam is sorely in need of an overhaul, IMO.

Good luck, hope you knock it out of the park!
  • late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am nearing the review stage. I should have the OCG finished by the end of the week and then I will begin reviewing. At this point, Wireless, Security, and Voice/Video are the areas I feel need the most review.

mitchflossin, I do have the ARCH book, as I plan to tackle that next. In your studies, which areas of the ARCH book were the most valuable to you?
  • mitchflossinmitchflossin Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, I'm not sure any of them really helped (but maybe they did). I just went over the first few chapters that seemed relevant to the CCDA material - they felt like a review. I think I've seen a couple of folks say they had some material on their exam that was straight out of the ARCH book, but I don't know that I had that much (maybe 1 or 2 - but didn't "need" the ARCH book to know the answer).

I think the OCG and CBT Nuggets are your best bet. Just don't beat yourself up if you don't pass it the first time around. There are tons of people that are having trouble with this test - it's very poorly written.
    stlsmoore wrote: »
    I'm a couple weeks away from taking the exam, in review mode at the moment.

You take a crack at this thing yet?

I'm through the OCG and decided to read the last 3 chapters of the FLG (Security, Collab, Wireless). I'm about 1/2 way through. Took my first run through the practice exam from the OCG and scored an 81%, which further indicated my weaker areas (Security, Collab, Wireless). I've got a couple long shifts at work over the weekend (read: lots of downtime) so depending on how much studying I get it, I'll probably schedule an exam for early next week or the week after.
    Nah I keep getting scared, my company will only pay for this exam once for me. I'm going over Cisco's HA Campus and Cisco SAFE guides then I'll schedule the exam.

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been tossing the idea up of focusing on this after I finish NP. I'm in an operations role right now but want to transition to a design role in the very near future. However any design jobs out there want tons of design related experience (of course that is relevant) however I have none and thought this might help show some initiative into the design realm. I don't like hearing the test is a bit junky though...
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
    Just got back from the test center with a PASS!

Test was so-so and I finished in under 25 minutes, all multiple choice. Knowing that the wording of questions may be questionable was a big advantage. If the question was written poorly, I looked for the keywords to determine the answer. There were a couple of questions that I know I got wrong, but I recognized the material, just didn't have the answer.

All in all, I thought the exam was fair and I didn't get any questions outside the scope of the FLG/OCG.

First, I watched the CBT Nuggets. Then I read the OCG from cover to cover. Next I read chapters 8, 9, and 10 in the FLG. Finally I skimmed the OCG again, reading the key topics, and answering all the DIKTA and Chapter questions.

Good luck and don't be scared. This exam wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.
    Thanks for the updated, scheduled my test for next Tuesday.

Just left the exam a few hours ago with a pass. Pretty much spot on with late_collision, however I felt like there were just a few questions outside the CCDA material.

Congrats buddy!

You thinking about CCDP next?
    Thanks, I will at some point but will probably take a break from certs for a while. I plan on deep diving into the TCP/IP protocol along with getting a good handle on WireShark. How about yourself?

Not a bad way to go!

Before you completely change gears, you might consider having a look at the CCDP track. I've been cruising through the INE CCDP bootcamp videos and, so far, they are all really well done. CBT nuggets is creating a current set of CCDP videos as well. Every day I check the CBT Nuggets site, they add about 3 videos, and the "X more videos coming soon" decrements as well.

My first impression is that CCDA covered a wider scope, but CCDP should go deeper on a narrower set of technologies. While CCDP should be more difficult, I also think it will be more fun, and certainly more valuable.

Anyways, my plan at this point is to knock out CCDP, hopefully before thanksgiving, and then full steam ahead on the CCNA/CCNP data center track. At this point, I am scrambling to get as much information under my belt as possible in hopes of slingshotting my career.
    Congrats on the pass!
    My first impression is that CCDA covered a wider scope, but CCDP should go deeper on a narrower set of technologies.

The overlapping exams with the CCNP are pretty narrowly focused, but the ARCH exam is much more broad. Thankfully, it also has an OCG. I would recommend checking it out.
    rjon17469 wrote: »
    The overlapping exams with the CCNP are pretty narrowly focused, but the ARCH exam is much more broad. Thankfully, it also has an OCG. I would recommend checking it out.

I've seen people make reference to the OCG in a couple different places now. Is there really an OCG or are you talking about the FLG (Foundation Learning Guide)?
    I've seen people make reference to the OCG in a couple different places now. Is there really an OCG or are you talking about the FLG (Foundation Learning Guide)?

Sorry, FLG.
  • mj8mj4mj8mj4 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Iam about to start Next week ...
  • Gpdriver17Gpdriver17 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the CCDA exam on the 14th after failing it once. I was really disappointed with Cisco in the quality of the questions and surprised at how few questions I had in most of the blueprint topics. I guess it worked out OK because I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with some of the technologies.

!

I was just looking through this because I'm about to begin studying for the CCDA. But I completely agree with you on the Cisco questions. They are horrendous and hardly cover the material at all. I just made a post about this in the CCNA section. Disappointed to see the DA will be more of the same.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am just now starting to study for this exam. Taking a little break from CCNP.

I am going through the CBT nuggets and the "Old" book for now. I might get the new book when it is available.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a ton on my plate but I picked up the new 5th Edition of the CCDA Book and I will be starting it soon. I already have my CCNP R&S so it's just two exams for CCDP, which I think will add a little bit of value to my resume and won't take a lengthy amount of time.
  • Burns82Burns82 Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently studying this, using cbt nuggets and the ccda 5th edition so. hopefully sit the exam next month.
  • koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Finished reading the new CCDA book. I haven't read the old one so I have nothing to compare it to but maybe I should. I feel like I'm almost ready for the exam but just need to dig deeper on a few topics first.

I also just checked Amazon and the new CCDP book isn't coming out till late November 2016, so I'm no rush to finish CCDA just yet.
  • Burns82Burns82 Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    finished CBT Nuggets videos not that impress by them to be honest, and all most finished the book. the 5th edition book has been an enjoyable read so far
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm.. I am still considering this as a possible avenue for me for the short term to do some extra design related study. I have plans of buckling down for CCIE but not anytime soon as I have very young children at the moment and rigorous study is REALLY hard to find time for. How does the exam feel in the current day?
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi