Passed CISSP on Sep 1

SmallpotatoSmallpotato Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Just want to share my experience with you...

Background: 10 years system administrator experience in Hong Kong

Study: Official CISSP training (honestly, not much help but got official studying notes for revision)
I finished studying the first 3 domains studying notes in early Aug and took a quiz. I found that the notes doesn't help in answering questions. Thus, I changed my plan and study the sample questions and answers. I marked down all my weakness parts for focus study before exam. I also searched information in websites such as how kerberos works, what's IPSec, etc. It's better for memory especially for those having explanation with pictures / diagrams.

Exam:
I arrived the exam center at 8:30. There were 6-7 ppl already there. I was scared by the strict registration process and felt even more stressed...

I finished the first round with 4 hrs. Actually, after finishing the first 50-100 questions, I already think I cannot pass it as the questions were quite unexpected and much more difficult than I expected. I can tell you don't expect any simple question just like what you saw in the sample questions. It's not more than 3 questions are easy like this.

Then I took a break and had some biscuits for 5 mins. In this break, I told myself not to give up, just try the best to review all the questions...maybe one or two answers changing can help me to pass...

I made up my mind and returned to the center to review the questions. I found a lot of answers were answering wrongly even for those I didn't flag for review! I think I changed more than 20 answers especially for the first 100 questions. I can only review half of them and time's up. After leaving the exam room, I heard the stapler sound and the staff passed me the result. I though it must be failed... when I turned the result paper, I saw a 'passed' on that! I really can't believe that! Thanks god!

English is not my primary language, so please forgive my bad writing. I found this forum just one week before my exam and I can feel all of you are great, helpful and passionate! Thanks for all the experience sharing although some cases really scared me...but I still love here! Good luck to all of you~:D Remember, never give up!

Potato.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow! With 1401 (and now +1), HK has probably the highest density of CISSPs in the world despite English not being your native language.

恭喜恭喜. Congrats!
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well done congrats.
  • Swimfan2516Swimfan2516 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing!
  • cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Study: Official CISSP training (honestly, not much help but got official studying notes for revision)

Congrats. Which class were you in? I enrolled in the March class, and I just received the cert recently. :D
  • SmallpotatoSmallpotato Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I was in Jun class. Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats - very nice to read. Did you take the test in English? Very impressive if English is not your first language. icon_thumright.gif
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • CLICKCLICK Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome job Smallpotato.. well done on the pass..now you have earned the right to be BIG Potato icon_smile.gif

Cheers
  • cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    Congrats - very nice to read. Did you take the test in English? Very impressive if English is not your first language. icon_thumright.gif

I think I would have failed if I were to take the test in simplified Chinese, not our lingua franca anyway.

I think the English used in the exam questions was easy (compared with that of the CBK).
  • SmallpotatoSmallpotato Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »

I took the exam in English. Although it's not my first language, we start studying that from 3 years old in Hong Kong. Honestly, some vocabularies are difficult but I can guess the overall meaning. icon_wink.gif