Sybex Study Guide?

Murph81Murph81 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I'm just looking at getting started with this cert, and wondering what you think of the Sybex book? Its the sixth edition so I know its missing the new stuff from earlier this year, but aside from that is it worth studying from? I'm trying to read the AIO but it seems like it goes into a lot of detail that the other study resources don't. Not sure if that means it has extra stuff you don't really need for the exam or the other books are missing stuff but I am finding it to be a hard read. I also have Shon's MP3s and am watching the cybrary videos with plans on getting some CCcure access once I've been through more material

If anyone has used the Sybex book I've love to hear your opinions on it

Thanks!

Comments

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Guess you are referring to CISSP.

The 7th edition will cover 2015 outline is coming out in September as per Sybex: CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide, 7th Edition - James M. Stewart, Mike Chapple, Darril Gibson

No experience with Sybex. Many of us had good experience with Eric Conrad. His 3rd Edition is coming out in November.
  • Murph81Murph81 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry yes, CISSP, I already have the book is why I'm asking, but thanks for the heads up
  • freedom777freedom777 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do a forum search for "CISSP passed" and you will find so many great posts from others who have passed their CISSP and their methodology and resources. I enjoy reading them and find them to be very helpful.
  • mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Guess you are referring to CISSP.

The 7th edition will cover 2015 outline is coming out in September as per Sybex: CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide, 7th Edition - James M. Stewart, Mike Chapple, Darril Gibson

No experience with Sybex. Many of us had good experience with Eric Conrad. His 3rd Edition is coming out in November.

I've used the sysbex extensively and i've found it very detailed and precise. My books were 1: Eric Conrad (most easy to read on the go), 2: Sybex (deep dive book), 3: Shawn Harris (good but i thought it a little dry and sometimes contradictory)..
  • rebelutionrebelution Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I received the Sybex book from the training that was provided by my employer. I personally thought the book was not as good as the Conrad or Harris books. My company must have thought so too b/c 2 weeks after my class, they gave us the updated ISC2 book. The questions in the Sybex book are not that great either. My advice would be to use it as a supplement, but not as the end all be all of what you're going to study for the test.
  • cbkihongcbkihong Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which edition of the Sybex book did you receive? Editions before 7th did not carry the "official" tag (though I am inclined to think ISC2 endorsement does not necessarily mean higher quality, you know what I meant).