CISSP in 90 Days. Resources Needed!

roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
So after doing some careful thinking about what cert to pursue next after CEH...I may just bit the bullet and do CISSP. It's not high on my radar in terms of interest, but in terms of ROI and career growth, I think I just need to get it done and onto other things.

I've seen in here some people saying they get it done in 6 weeks. I'm thinking 90 days. Does that sound pretty realistic? I've got a good background in security/cyber, so its not all new material.

But does anyone have a really good list of study materials or a study plan mapped out for maximum retention and pass rate?

As of now, I was thinking this:

1) CBT version of the InfoSec Institute CISSP Bootcamp
2) Cybrary.it CISSP training (read here that its good)
3) Read the latest CISSP AIO by Shon Harris
4) Read the 11th Hour by Eric Conrad
5) Get some good practice exams, and go to work

Its easy to get excited about a plan and get to it, but could this be overkill for someone with 10+ years in IT security? Would 1 video set / 1 book be enough? I just dont want to overload myself. I hear this test is a beast.

Originally I was going for quantity of certs over quality, but in order to go after higher and higher salaries, I think this one needs to be in the bag as soon as possible. I really want to get into pen testing, so getting this done so I can get to my Master's and more pen testing certs is what I'm aiming for.

Also, has anyone studied for CISSP while also attending WGU for their Master's?
浪人 MSISA:WGU
ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP

Comments

• TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    dragonsden wrote: »
    Also, has anyone studied for CISSP while also attending WGU for their Master's?

That's what I'm doing now. Starting this Master's while preparing for CASP and CISSP. It can be done with proper time management.
    Read the many threads here about the dudes who passed. Don't worry about the timeline. Do what you can accomplish. I'm banking for completion by mid Dec myself for both.
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Curious then....

I know getting my CEH will help knock out some course credits with WGU. But if I complete my CISSP before attending WGU, how soon can the MS be knocked out? I know the MSISA aligns with the domains of CISSP, so coming to the table with this cert, I wonder if you could take some of the assessments to fast track toward completion of the degree.
  • TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    I havent asked about that, because I didnt have it prior to admission, but I know that having the CISSP was one of the methods of gaining admission to the program. Dont know if it would count toward fulfilling any course credit
  • OM602OM602 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As for practice exams, try https://cccure.training/ and Transcender
    The world chico, and everything in it
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Read the PASS threads here. That will give you a good idea of what others have done to prepare.
    I've compiled a few lists based on the pass threads. I'm leaning toward Eric Conrad books vs Shon Harris for length. I can't see myself reading a 1500 page book. But I've heard the Shon Harris MP3s are good. I did find them, but are they basically the book in spoken form? I think I'll start with Cybrary. I have the InfoSec Institute videos, but just a preview of these and I can tell it will put me to sleep. I think also I will test out every two weeks and see where my scores are at. If I'm doing well, I may curb studies and do an exam attempt.

Here's my quick list of study material. Hopefully this is a decent plan of attack:

Name
    Type
    Source/Author

CISSP Study Guide, 2nd Edition
    Book
    Eric Conrad

CISSP The 11th Hour 2nd Edition
    Book
    Eric Conrad

CISSP Practice Exams, Third Edition (All-in-One)
    Test Prep
    Shon Harris

McGraw-Hill Education
    Audio Files (Car)
    Shon Harris

Cybrary.IT Free CISSP Training
    Video
    Cybrary.IT

Cybrary.IT CISSP Study Guide
    Study Guide
    Cybrary.IT

CISSP Combined Notes.pdf
    Study Guide
    TechExams.net

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take note that except for probably Cybrary, your study materials do not cover the new materials in 2015 CISSP outline.
    Newer editions that do are coming out end this year. The new Sybex official guide is available.

90 days is realistic. I did it with 2 months+ study, passing it in April before ISC2 cut-over to new CISSP outline. Deadlines can be effective motivators.
    Yea, I read though that some people still passed ok using older materials. Also, apparently ISC2 says studying the older "10 domain materials" will still be relevant and be enough to pass. I may shift things around. I think the Sybex comes out this month and Eric Conrad's latest comes out in November.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have no interest in it why spend the money, the time to study, the time and effort to maintain cpes and pay yearly maintenance fees if you are not going to use it to get that ROI?
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another get a certificate and wonder why he's not instantly making big bucks thread. Nice. LOL! Mwhwhwhahaha!

Are you even remotely qualified to sit for this exam? Outside of the ethics portion of the exam, we are assured.

- b/eads
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    beads wrote: »
    Another get a certificate and wonder why he's not instantly making big bucks thread. Nice. LOL! Mwhwhwhahaha!

Are you even remotely qualified to sit for this exam? Outside of the ethics portion of the exam, we are assured.

- b/eads

I was waiting for when you would chime in here :). I agree with you. By the way, did you apply to enter the board of directors at isc2? They had the voting recently for new board members. If all TE voted for you, you would get the 5k votes to be nominated. :)
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are absolutely on the right track. I used -tons- of resources, and after looking back, here are the primary resources I recommend:

- Eric Conrad CISSP Study Guide, Second Edition
    - Cybrary Videos
    - MH Quizzes
    - Shon Harris AIO only for supplemental knowledge
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You have 10+ years in IT security? Just read the Eric Conrad 11th hour study guide. It will focus everything you know towards the way the test asks questions and words things. It seems you're putting a lot of work in to a test that you should already know the material for.
    I didn't say I have no interest, it's just not "highest" on my interest compared to other certs, but needs to be done. I would absolutely use this cert because of it's high ROI, not sure how you have read me wrong here. Negative comments aside from the "cert elitists", I think I have my plan now, thank you.
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't say I have no interest, it's just not "highest" on my interest compared to other certs, but needs to be done. I would absolutely use this cert because of it's high ROI, not sure how you have read me wrong here. Negative comments aside from the "cert elitists", I think I have my plan now, thank you.

beads can correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the criticism is because you only want the cert for money. Not a good thing IMO.
    When I say ROI I mean it's marketability, advancement potential, and respect in the industry. Money is not the primary motivator. It's to move deeper into cyber quickly.
  • GRODTGRODT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you're DOD CISSP is vary marketable as is who ya know and timing. Good luck to you.
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've compiled a few lists based on the pass threads. I'm leaning toward Eric Conrad books vs Shon Harris for length. I can't see myself reading a 1500 page book. But I've heard the Shon Harris MP3s are good. I did find them, but are they basically the book in spoken form? I think I'll start with Cybrary. I have the InfoSec Institute videos, but just a preview of these and I can tell it will put me to sleep. I think also I will test out every two weeks and see where my scores are at. If I'm doing well, I may curb studies and do an exam attempt.

Here's my quick list of study material. Hopefully this is a decent plan of attack:

Name
    Type
    Source/Author

CISSP Study Guide, 2nd Edition
    Book
    Eric Conrad

CISSP The 11th Hour 2nd Edition
    Book
    Eric Conrad

CISSP Practice Exams, Third Edition (All-in-One)
    Test Prep
    Shon Harris

McGraw-Hill Education
    Audio Files (Car)
    Shon Harris

Cybrary.IT Free CISSP Training
    Video
    Cybrary.IT

Cybrary.IT CISSP Study Guide
    Study Guide
    Cybrary.IT

CISSP Combined Notes.pdf
    Study Guide
    TechExams.net

Where did you find the study notes?
    I don't recall the thread, but someone posted it here on TechExams. Search for the filename, and I think you'll find it.
  • dvditdvdit Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    havoc64 wrote: »
    Where did you find the study notes?

Search here for thread "Passed CISSP Yesterday".
  • g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I haven't finished it yet, but I'd consider adding the new Sybex CISSP study guide 7th edition.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I havent asked about that, because I didnt have it prior to admission, but I know that having the CISSP was one of the methods of gaining admission to the program. Dont know if it would count toward fulfilling any course credit
    It won't, I called WGU about this specifically a few months ago they confirmed that it doesn't take away class requirements.
    I'm curious if anyone here has any advice on courses to begin with at WGU that best compliment CISSP? My mentor recommended only 8 CUs this term to begin with due to work/family obligations. Getting the CEH knocked out 4 CUs. So I have 26 CUs until graduation. I'm starting my MSISA tomorrow and already have my CISSP studies under way.

These are the 1st set of courses I'm considering. Please comment if you have any insight into these courses and how they align with the current CISSP materials:

Term 1 Courses (8 CU):
    LYT2 - Current & Emerging Technology (3 CU)
    JIT2 - Risk Management (2 CU)
    VLT2 - Security Policies and Standards - Best Practices (3 CU)