CISSP Passed - Sept 3

1point8t1point8t Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been a long time lurker on the forum(even before signing up) and have really enjoyed all the discussions and opinions by all the users. When it came time to study for the CISSP I stayed glued to this forum for tips and information regarding the new exam and resources. My CISSP journey started nearly 18 months ago but was constantly delayed and postponed due to work and life. After being frustrated with my lack of progress I booked the test and worked towards that date.

Below were my resources

Books
- Eric Conrad's CISSP 2nd Edition (Read entire book and was a good resource)
- Eric Conrad's 11th hour (good review)
- CISSP All-in-one exam guide (used for concepts I didn't understand and review questions)
- Official CISSP CBK 4th edition (used for review questions)

Videos
- CBT Nuggets (good resource)
- Cybrary.it (great resource and definitely recommended)
- Larry Greenblatt's 8 domains of CISSP (on Youtube and a great resource)
- "Everything You Need to Know about the New CISSP Exam" (on Youtube and a good resource)
- Simplilearn CISSP (from Udemy but I think Cybrary had better videos)

Study Questions and Notes
- CCCure questions (watch Larry's video for a coupon code ;) )
- Practice questions from CISSP All-in-one and the Official CBK
- Purchased the first set of questions on the ISC2 app for iPad. $5 for 25 questions was a waste as they were no better than the sample questions from any book
- ExamCram CISSP Practice Questions. I used this resource to fully test the domains that I was weak.
- Sunflower PDF
- Combined notes
- Created flash cards for information that I needed to memorize
- Quizlet app with CISSP domain notes. Good resource but you'll have to find the notes that are worth using as they are user contributed.

In addition to the above material I also took a quick course at a local college to expedite my studying. It was good to keep me on track but it didn't provide any further insight beyond what I learned in the book. Personally, I believe the Cybrary videos were much better than that course. My studying was very thorough and I overlapped several times with different material but that is usually my method to ensure I fully understand what I have learned.

My only advice to someone studying for the exam is BOOK THE TEST. If you don't, you'll procrastinate like I did.

Lastly, I want to say thank you to everyone that contributes to this forum, including the "passed" threads, as they have helped provide great study resources. Next up, maybe a PenTest cert or CISA as many at my work seem to favor that cert.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Gratz! thanks for the write up and best of luck on the future certs!! icon_cheers.gif
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • @bh!4u@bh!4u Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I agree completely about Larry Greenblatt's videos they are awesome indeed, Cybrary videos seems good for last moment refresher having watched both although I am yet to appear for the final exam soon.
  • CLICKCLICK Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats... i'll have a look at Larry Greenblatt's videos since they've been mentioned a few times....enjoy your free time now :)
  • jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, 1point8t!

You pointed out a few resources that I'm unfamiliar with. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, experiences, and resources.

Congrats again!
    Have an awesome weekend,
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • EburonEburon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thanks for sharing your strategy.
  • kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats...!!!
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thx for sharing resources.
    as others pointed out, a couple new ones that I had not heard of.
  • freedom777freedom777 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! and thanks for sharing your experience
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□