Options

Silicom PXG6i Hex (6) port PCI/PCI-X adapter

mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
I just ordered 2 of these beasts. =O it sounds amazing and I hope it will actually work just as amazingly.

I've always wanted to build a GNS3 server, just like those you see online; 3x quad nic + 3550 +3560/3750.

However, D-Link DFE-580TX are hard to find now-a-days, and Sun x1034a are just a pain in the **** to deal with. (I bought one, and... it turned out to be one of those that had 1 mac for all 4 ports)

But yea,

does anyone have any experience with this model? Silicom PXG6i

If it works, it will be awesome. 2 rows of 6 GIGABIT ports right out of the box =O~~ (drools)
Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
Future: CCNP, CCIE

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have one of the Sun Quad NICs in my GNS3 setup and I can confirm they are a PITA to get working. The worst part is they are extra broken under 64-bit Linux so I am using 32-bit with PAE. No problems with them once you actually get them going though. For $70-$80, this Silicom card looks like a good deal.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've just bought some USB to Ethernet adaptors off ebay for $5 - Don't have much confidence in them being too reliable but we'll see - wish me luck :)

Nate
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I have some USB-RJ45 adapters as well. One of them doesn't work, the other 2 does work. However, you may have come across in the internet, there seems to be some problems getting VLANs to work fully under windows.

Other than VLANS in Windows (haven't tested Linux), my USB adapters work pretty well. CDP, VTP, IP, all work flawless =)

So, Good luck Nate!! =D Hope you have better luck than me with VLAN+Win, otherwise, they should still work well in all other scenarios.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good to hear they work at least. I'll be using them with Linux which also supports 801.1q trunks, which is useful.

Nate
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mapletune wrote: »
    I just ordered 2 of these beasts. =O it sounds amazing and I hope it will actually work just as amazingly.

I've always wanted to build a GNS3 server, just like those you see online; 3x quad nic + 3550 +3560/3750.

However, D-Link DFE-580TX are hard to find now-a-days, and Sun x1034a are just a pain in the **** to deal with. (I bought one, and... it turned out to be one of those that had 1 mac for all 4 ports)

But yea,

does anyone have any experience with this model? Silicom PXG6i

If it works, it will be awesome. 2 rows of 6 GIGABIT ports right out of the box =O~~ (drools)

I bought and sold lots of these.

This model that you bought is for a 3.3vdc 64 bit bus slot, a pci-x Server bus slot.
    PCI-x, it does not fit a in a32 bit PCI bus slot, in its current configuration.
    I do, have the original engineer design specs, they claim that the Silicom PXG6i does work in a 3.3vdc pci bus slot; but must be modified to insert.
    32 bit PCI bus slots are what is the standered in a desktop PC .

<< This phot is deceptive, you will need to make a cut into the PCB:
    see my last photo the card instaled in a pci bus, has had the notch cut in it to insert into the 32 bit bus.

All of the pci-x cards that i sold, i modified like you will have to do. They are great but tricky and take some attention to make work.
    If you use them in windows 7 64 bit they have out of the box drivers only. This means that they will not be full feature; two feature will be unavailable. Teaming, and VLANS. If you put them in a XP machine you can remote into that machine, or just run xp as your OS. They do work with LINUX but i can't claim full feature with LINUX.
    When you can install the INTEL drivers, then you will have TEAMING and VLAN tabs on your network card.

Windows server 2003, & 2008 also share this full feature but not w2k8 r2.

I have very extensive file and work for this card I bought and sold 50-75 of them and use 6 of them now.

You may want further detail after you see this card, don't rush and damage it they are hard to find. (very intermittent sales on ebay with prices going from $25.00 up to $495.00).

This is a silicom pxg6i MT? or GT?

Here is the cool part that is your reward for the hard work.

You see the new VLAN and Teaming tabs when you go start\controlpanel\system\device manager\ hardware\ network adapters

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Here is the suck part that requires delicate attention and patience.
    When you get your card it looks like this.
    < If you zoom in on this photo you can see the silk screen on the PCB written in white (pci) you must count the conductor pins mark them and cut the notch just right. Do not cut to much or it will not work.

Mine are all installed in my different rigs, but here is a photo of one installed.

It is hard to see but you can tell that this is not an OEM fit. The Silicom needs a cut to fit into the 32 bit bus. If you choose not to cut the big tail you will need to at least tape it off so it does not come incontact with the capacitors and whatever on you Mobo. This hangs over the back of the PCI bus a long way; it is not really intended for the architecture of desktop mobo components. They are soo big with only the one srcew support.

There is more detail than what is shown, but do not be scared, just careful. I have seen one that a CCIE guy did himself and his work was done poorly and his did work fine.

These will use up your resources: as in you may need to go into your BIOS and shut of some unused IRQ values. That is why they work best in a server with out any video cards, input devices (pointer/.mouse, keyboard) using up the IRQ values.

I have found these and been using them for two years now they are great!
  • Options
    hipusmc713hipusmc713 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys i know this is an old thread but i was wondering if i can get some assistance regarding this exact same situation. I have the above 6port PCI-X Server bus card but am not comfortable cutting the pc until i get an concrete answer. I'm trying to connect this to my boards PCI-X slot that i have available. By the looks of this, i counted the conductor from left to right on the 1st picture to 32. Then i would need to cut from then onwards correct?
  • Options
    hipusmc713hipusmc713 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FWIW, i will be installing Win7X64. Thank you very much for your help guys!! :D
  • Options
    KnightxiiKnightxii Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi hipusmc713 i noticed youre putting the PXG6i PCI-X card inside a ...pcie slot on the MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard? How does this work? Which pin did you cut into to make it work with a desktop PCIE slot. I currently have the PXG6I as well but not sure where to cut and which slot to fit in. Speaking from the future, im using the gigabyte ga-z170xp-sli mobo. Thanks a bunch!:D