How to get this stuff to stick

JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've gone through the training videos from CBT, IT Free training, Eli, etc an worked on labs and read the books. I'm in the process of going through practice labs and tests from Boson. What questions that I get wrong I read the info and try to learn it. Any suggestions on how to get this stuff to actually stick.

What does everyone use as a method to get the info to stick except just going over the question over and over? I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    practice tests...the ones you get wrong, you write down and find out why it is the right answer...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Writing it down helps me as well. If i'm taking a practice exam or even studying a topic and i find myself not being able to remember the subject - i'll write it down. Helps me remember.
  • poolmanjimpoolmanjim Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Writing helps me some.

My best method so far has been looking up the information and then doing my best o find that interface or page in my lab environment and look at the configuration myself. Its not easy to lab every scenario that you may encounter but being aware of the interfaces and what the options do is a big advantage.

Beyond that, just repeat, repeat, repeat. It gets boring sometimes and eventually things go blurry but it does help. Keep pushing through it. Its doable, just hard.
    2019 Goals: Security+
    2020 Goals: 70-744, Azure
    Completed: MCSA 2012 (01/2016), MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure (07/2017), MCSA 2017 (09/2017)
    Future Goals: CISSP, CCENT
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I will have to try this when i get close to the exam date. I been writing things down when i think it's important. I do have a question for you. Do you like the Boson site for exam test questions? I been trying to find a good site that has good questions or something close to the exam questions. I know it can't be perfect to the exam but something that has a high rate on users for passing the exam. This will be my 3rd time trying to pass the exam. The last 2 times i didn't use any test site.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone;

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like everyone is basically the same as I am. Do the labs and questions. Rinse and repeat. It really does get boring after a bit. Wish it was like on the Matrix when they plugged a cable into Neo's neck and he became an expert at what he was getting downloaded. Aahhh, to be able to get that. I think they sell that at Best Buy...

Louie 1277;

I've tried different test sites (not braindumps) and for me, I've found that Boson is very good with their exams and labs. They use virtual labs from PractiseIT in the UK. The questions that you get from Boson are 240 and they have answers with full explanations and examples. The subscription is for a year and not that bad. The pass mark for the test exams is 850. From what I understand, the Microsoft exam is 700. So I'm figuring that when I can pass the Boson tests, I'll be ready for the real exam. They have both single-choice, multiple choice and simulation where you have to select the proper steps and drag and drop them down. Yes it does matter on the order. I've gotten answers wrong because they choices were out of order even though I selected the right choices.
    @jerryL thanks for letting me know. One other question the software for the exam is that updated to the R2 exam? I was looking at the material and notice it's just windows 2012 and not R2 version. Just wondering.

I will be looking around and seeing if I could purchase it or not.

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is definitely 2012R2 in both the labs and the questions.
    I was checking out Boson and Measure-up last night. Both seem good site but i'm really wondering which site offers more some what questions like the exam. I notice with measure up they tell you how to start the studying for the exam. Then change exam options to see if you are really ready for the exam.

The price for both sites are close to $100 so that's a big cost... but if I don't pass they will refund it. That's a good thing.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*