Passed CISSP - The real truth on preparation

bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
Before I go on my little rant, I want to say IMHO.icon_cool.gif

Soooo first thing first:):

1. 27 yrs old, BBA in CIS, MS in InfoSec, MBA: Management 2. 6 total years of wrk xp, 3+ as Security and Compliance Analyst.

2. Study Mats: 3.5 months prep CBT Nuggets, Darril Gibson, Eric Conrad (Study guide, NOT the 11 hour), Transcender

3. CISA next

Rant 1: I do not know if it was a blessing or a curse for me to be an intermediate InfoSec professional but I found the exam mildly challenging but not overly hard. My perspective from young was that a vague exam isn't exactly tricky or difficult, it's just how you interpret the question. Only a trained logic for that specific exam will allow you to understand the questions. What I mean by that is this. I passed the CISSP exam but if I took CISM, SSCP, or Sec+, or ANY other info sec exam, I may very well fail. I simply know the ISC2 understanding, not CompTIA, not ISACA, not SANS. I came in with a partially blank slate so the questions to me and their connection from my study materials clicked. Maybe my inexperience actually assisted me because my glass was half empty and half full and also the water was clear.

Rant 2: A lot of folks use so many different resources, my gosh, it's overwhelming to me. I read posts with individuals having 6 books then 5 video courses! I don't know about you but I'll be hell of confused because each one has a slightly different angle and that small difference can be your pass or fail. From my understanding, I basically adopt a triad approach to learning to stimulate my learning senses. What I mean by this is, I conduct the concept of "Tight Studying." I purchased a video course, a study guide with awesome reviews, and finally a legitimate and reputable testing platform. To me and from other mentors, too many resources can be distracting and counterproductive to your exam results.

Rant 3: I read so many reviews of persons, only taking a month to prepare. Well I can gladly say that I'm much slower and I just don't consume info that fast.icon_profileright.gif I've always been the slowest in my class but hey, look at my accomplishments now.icon_cheers.gif

Rant 4: It is obvious that CISA and CISSP are two different exams but there is an indirect connection between the two. I actually worked for a Big 4 Company for three years, now in hospitality, and will be returning to the Big 4.

Rant 5: I have CCNA, Sec+, ITILv3F, Associate ISC2 (CISSP). I see so many over achievers with 10's or even 20's of certifications and I applaud them. But for me, I ain't about that AMF life (Annual Maintenance Fee) or recertification life.icon_lol.gif
I truly cannot see myself still recertifying when I'm about 45 years old for all those certs. Hey, like I said IMHO.icon_cool.gif I'm currently an InfoSec professional but who knows, I may drop that completely and seek executive mgmt in a totally different field. I'll probably only focus on retaining CISSP and probably ISACA certs but I ain't doing all that readingicon_study.gif Lol I like reading but I like my life and also MY WIFE and children.icon_cheers.gif

Ultimately, the real truth of preparing for this exam is 1. experience but it doesn't have to be decades of experience 2. a limited set of "diverse" resources (3-5, 6 max) 3. Test questions that encourage or even pressure you to utilize logic rather than memory. That's all there is to the CISSP. Keep in mind, that most of the times, test takers defeat themselves because of their own limiting beliefs. They approach exams like some insurmountable beast. The way I looked at it was this way, it's just an exam, only one of two things can happen, I either pass or fail. No, failing doesn't mean that you wasted $600 (a lot of intangible value comes from the exam despite your results). Several years ago when I was like 20, everyone was telling me that the CCNA was a BEAST too but I passed that at that age with the same combination (limited amount of videos, books, practice questions = tight studying). Lastly, keep in mind, Quality over Quantity. Picture you having 3 math tutors in a single grade and you have to take one exam outside of that school that is vendor neutral....good luckicon_cry.gif
Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:

Comments

• EburonEburon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and thank you for sharing your insight.
  • kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well done! congrats
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks mates.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations but the wall of text hurts the eyes.
  • !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another well written success story.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bubble2005 wrote: »

Rant 5: I have CCNA, Sec+, ITILv3F, Associate ISC2 (CISSP). I see so many over achievers with 10's or even 20's of certifications and I applaud them. But for me, I ain't about that AMF life (Annual Maintenance Fee) or recertification life.

Wait, did you already have Associate ISC2 CISSP or passing this test made you an Associate?
  • g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Did you only use Transcender for your only practice questions? What did you think of them?
    g33k3r wrote: »
    Congrats. Did you only use Transcender for your only practice questions? What did you think of them?

I used Transcender for all of my exams except one which was Security+ which I failed the first time. I've been using that platform from 2008. I consider Transcender a book in itself as well because the questions and explanations provide an alternative understanding. If my book has over 1k pages and the questions are close to 1k, I seriously cannot do more than that lol. Thats why i focus on using a diverse set of limited resources. For example, I would never purchase Darril Gibson's book AND Shon Harris. That's close to ~3000 pages! Whose reading that! Certainly not me.icon_study.gificon_silent.gif

I am also a person who prefers to focus on understanding rather than taking a lot of diff pract exams. Honestly I don't even use multiple books. I prefer to get one book, one video, and one exam platform and hope for the best.icon_cool.gif I'm not an overpreparer though icon_lol.gif. I found that Transcender is a bit more expensive to its competitors but the understanding of those answers are valuable. That's what I get out of it. Sometimes the questions may give too much explanation but hey, that's my extra book right there. And with the credibility of the resources, if I do fail, I cannot blame, that's on me for not understanding well. So for example, if I read a book and it taught me that a tree has branches and the exam asks me What is the closest to branches? A. flower B. tree. C. root D. car well my understanding should know how to apply the knowledge in context and select B. The book will not teach me context, understanding will.

One last thing I want to point out that is crucial is relaxation. This is life, don't go into the exam thinking about I MUST PASS. Just go for the experience. Honestly, I could have cared less if I failed or not and to your next question, YES MONEY if very important to me.icon_lol.gif But I enjoyed the ride, now that I passed it, I'm bored because I remembered the feeling of preparing which was awesome. But on a more serious note, I always go into the exam with two outcomes. Either I pass or fail, nothing more, nothing less. If I fail, ok, do it over.
  • g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight. I've never purchased Transcender's so I was curious. I noticed that have several options for the CISSP. Any feedback on the best option? Download vs. 365 online?
  • !nf0s3cure!nf0s3cure Member Posts: 161 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just thought about the heading "Real Truth" humm what about the other or "Unreal Truth"? :)
  • vijaytyagi@msn.comvijaytyagi@msn.com Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats dear , you have written very well :)
    !nf0s3cure wrote: »
    Just thought about the heading "Real Truth" humm what about the other or "Unreal Truth"? :)

Haha, I'll put it this way, the "Unreal Truth" is unnecessary. icon_lol.gif