New GIAC cert offering: GMON

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I had no idea GIAC was coming up with GMON, the cert for SEC 511 Continuous Monitoring. Given that I'm doing a lot of blue team stuff lately I've been eyeing this class for a while but was disappointed there was no cert. It should be going live 12/23/2015.

GIAC Continuous Monitoring Certification (GMON)

Comments

• beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @cyberguypr Nice catch there. Been awhile since I have been in the SANs circle so to speak. Could be an interesting course but need to see where its going to go as well. Almost feels like it should be parallel to the Incident Command course if I am reading the description properly. - b/eads
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    30 questions/3 hours... that's pretty intense.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Don't think I can take that kind of pressure. LOL!
  • chanakyajupudichanakyajupudi Member Posts: 712
    I hope the exam is priced differently! I'd love to attempt 30 questions in 3 hours and prepping for it without the training.
    Work In Progress - RHCA [ ] Certified Cloud Security Professional [ ] GMON/GWAPT if Work Study is accepted [ ]
    http://adarsh.amazonwebservices.ninja

• Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    this is something I'll be looking into
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Looks like the number of questions was a typo. Page has been updated to 115 items. Now it looks like a real test.
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Adding to the never-ending list of stuff I want/need to do.....
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually got the approval to attend a SANS course through work since it is coming to my area but unfortunately the ones I initially wanted were full (GCIH, GCIA) and I noticed this course and signed up for it. I should be attending August 24th so I'll be sure to give some feedback on how it is. The course curriculum looks interesting.
    Sounds great. Looking forward to the review.
  • contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got to spend a little time in this class while working as a facilitator (covering for another facilitator) and it is a great class. This is one of the hot ticket classes right now and it fills up fairly quickly so if you are thinking about taking it register as early as possible! Seth and Eric did a great job on the material I experienced. If you are going to attend SANS and you are taking a different class, Seth and Eric usually have evening talks related to some of the topics covered in the class. This class is my top choice for my next SANS event.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    I've been doing some QC work for SANS, and have been working my way through the on demand material. I'm about halfway through this class at the moment. There are some great tips and tricks that you can use almost immediately. Definitely worth a serious look.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good to hear from the two posters above. I got approval today so I should be attending the course in Virginia Beach starting August 24th, looking forward to it due to it being new and the content looking interesting plus it is my first SANS course.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Awesome to hear zxbane. PM me so we can exchange contact info and meet up.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • McGintyDMMcGintyDM Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looking to take this course and exam early next year. Seems very in line with my current work and seems fresh and exciting. Good Instructors too.
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Looks very good. Forwarded it on to my peeps for their consideration and added it to my "roadmap"
  • PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    I've been eyeing this course myself. Did a search of this subsection and only this thread came up. Was hoping there would be more discussions/reviews.
  • LWB250LWB250 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in one of the first classes taught for the GMON cert at SANS Orlando and will be one of the beta testers for the certification exam. I work primarily with a SIEM in my environment and it was a really good course for me as far as gaining some additional understanding on how to defend and manage our system. We're taking beta exams this month for GMON.

This is my first GIAC exam, so I'm digging around on the forum to find tips for indexing and preparation for materials, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
    That sounds awesome. Hope to see you back posting some feedback on the test. For the index, I stand by my 4 column format seen here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/sans-institute-giac-certifications/98047-passed-gcih.html
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LWB250 wrote: »
    I was in one of the first classes taught for the GMON cert at SANS Orlando and will be one of the beta testers for the certification exam.

Still says, "Minimum Passing Score To Be Determined" does this mean you don't know if you passed or not? If they decide on a passing test score, will you have to retake the exam, or will they allow your beta exam count?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    I can't discuss details due to the NDA we had to sign for beta testing, however, I can tell you that there was a specified time frame for us to take the test, which was not scored. When that window closes, the GIAC folks will compile and review the scores/questions and determine a cut score, or passing percentage.

Those of us who were beta testers will get our scores after that, and if we didn't pass, will get an opportunity to take the test again at a reduced price which has yet to be determined.

That's about all I can say at this point.
  • gmrkr5gmrkr5 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks like the passing score has been set at 74%. I assume those of us who did the beta will get results any day...
    gmrkr5 wrote: »
    Looks like the passing score has been set at 74%. I assume those of us who did the beta will get results any day...

I sure hope so. I'm getting tired of checking my account to see the results....

I have a bit of a beef about this, as the person who taught my class told us to contact them before we took the test to get any updates that might have occurred in later presentations of the materials. I emailed them several times well before the testing took place and never heard a thing back.

This past week I finally get a response, apologizing for the late reply, and telling me that they added some additional subject items in later classes and what they were.

Would have been nice to have that information before I tested....icon_rolleyes.gif
    I wonder what the additional items were. I don't remember anything from practice exams or actual exam that was totally out of left field.
    I can't say due to our NDA, but they were not in the class I took, but not so far out of the curriculum that if you had any experience in the discipline at all you wouldn't know them.

That being said, it all comes back to preparation, and had the additional information been available prior to taking the test it would have reduced the possibility of getting a question I wasn't prepared for.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hoping to get work to send myself and my boss to this in February.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Just got email from GIAC. Passed but no score. Looks like we'll get score and paper cert when it goes live in December.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just got email from GIAC. Passed but no score. Looks like we'll get score and paper cert when it goes live in December.

Congrats!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    Congrats! I remember the days when I had the patience to do beta tests. I don't anymore. Hats off to those who can wait for results.

Same here. Passed but no score. Certification will be live December 26th according to the email.
    LWB250 wrote: »
    Same here. Passed but no score. Certification will be live December 26th according to the email.

GIAC has since advised us that since we were in a beta group, scores will not be provided. Our certifications become active December 26, when it becomes available to the general public.