Will A+ objectives/tests be changed soon?

Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_confused.gif: I am hesitant to buy A+ study material right now because of rumors I've heard that the the exam will be changing in March 2003. I know most of the current objectives, but would still like to have some time to read Meyer's 'All-In-One' book before I take the tests.

Does anyone know if and when CompTIA plans to change the A+ exams?

Comments

• CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    A+ will not have a dramatic change, but new objectives are scheduled to be released

icon_arrow.gifCompTIA A+ 2002 - 2003 Certification Exam Schedule
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    comptia may be changing the objectives soon, but the exams for the old objectives probably won't be retired at exactly the same time. they may not be retired for a few months after the objectives have changed to allow for the fact that candidates will have studied the old objectives.

i will try to find out more information.
    A+ Moderator
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Cross wrote:
    A+ will not have a dramatic change....

Exactly, probably some updates on newer CPUs, SCSI-3 perhaps and maybe other new technologies. We'll be sure to cover the added/changed objectives in TechNotes and practice questions as soon as the new objectives are released.
    Besides that, with the current amount of questions you get there's only a small chance you'll actually get a question that is not covered in the Mike Meyers all-in-one icon_wink.gif
    well, if you are keen to start study, i would suggest going ahead and getting the latest all-in-one and then downloading the new objectives when they are published and looking the new items up on the internet or study guides from websites, or getting a copy of a+ passport when it is updated to the new objectives.
    A+ Moderator
  • CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    There are several sites on the internet with practice questions.
    The Mike Myers book has been the #1 aid for everyone on the A+ Track.
    Know your materials and be confident. Don't let anything side-track your focus on the objectives that are looked upon for the exams
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I've decided I will take your collective advice and get the Meyer's All-In-One book now. I probably will be able to take the exams before they're updated. If not, I can look up the new objectives and fill in the blanks with some extra study matierial. Thanks again! :D
    good luck
    A+ Moderator
    this is the reply is got from comptia:
    CompTIA is in the final stages of reviewing the A+ exams through a process called a Critical Incident Analysis. The A+ Advisory Committee will meet the end of January 2003 to make a recommendation to CompTIA whether or not to update the A+ exams. Currently it looks as if the A+ exams will have some minor changes to the objectives, primarily in the areas of updated technologies (Windows Me, XP, wireless, PDAs, etc...) No later than February 2003, CompTIA will post the revised objectives on our website. CompTIA anticipates releasing the revised exams in September 2003.

Tancy Stanbery
    Senior Certification Program Manager
    A+/Network+
    A+ Moderator
  • James23James23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi all,

i'm new to this board, and i think it's a good one.

according to bellboy's post of Tancy Stanbery's quote, comptia is going to update their a+ exam in september 2003. has this been confirmed?

thanks,
    james
  • James23James23 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yes, i wrote to Tancy Stanbery, the Senior Certification Program Manager A+/Network+, she said the same thing to me. comptia is going to update the exam objectives in february 2003 and the exam in september 2003.

james
    it's all conjecture at the moment. but given the changes in the computing world in the two years since the last revision (my study material barely covered piii cpu fgor instance), it seems likely that the objectives will change.
    A+ Moderator
  • vwtechvwtech Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_eek.gif I just spoke with a certification rep at Comptia: My questions and their answers are below regarding the A+ Exams being updated.

Q: When are the A+ Exams going to be changed/updated.
    A: Sept 2003 icon_exclaim.gif .

Q: Are the Examination Objectives on the Comptia website still current.
    A: There are can be used until Sept 2003 icon_exclaim.gif .

The objectives concerning the A+ OS Exam states Win9X & Win2000 and very little Win NT.
    My guess it that the update will have WinXP and then some.
    Don't tell co-workers your going for a Cert that they don't have. They may think your trying to take their job.
  • SeidrDragonSeidrDragon Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Granted I got my Network degree 8/2000 and I'm playing bleeding fun with tests (now that I found site to take tests). I'm working from "A+ certification - Osborne copyright 2001. what or where can I find about P2 & 3 XEON, AHT, AHZ
    and what eles I'm not getting from this book. Is it out dated already? S-O-S