Options

So many notes.... not even done chapter 2

pieceofwork91pieceofwork91 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have started to read exam cram and noticed that im spending a lot of time taking notes.... Im barley done chapter 2 and have close to 3 pages of notes. Is this because the chapter is focused on motherboards and the topic is so detailed? Should i focus more on the reading or should i be taking as many notes as possible? i feel as if im re writting the book icon_cry.gif When i watch Professor Messer videos his notes are minimal and to the point, im thinking about using his notes to reference the text i read prior?

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to stop writing down every little fact that gets thrown at you and focus on learning and absorbing the concepts.

If you need to write a small note or two that's fine but the amount you are writing down is ridiculous because you won't be able to rely on those during the test.

Watch a chapter then take a practice test to see if you actually learned it at the level necessary.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    pieceofwork91pieceofwork91 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you :) I was feeling overwhelmed by the details, im going to read the book and takes notes when necessary and calm down.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just remember everyone learns differently so you need to find the method that works best for you.

I usually pick up 1 video series, 1 practice test engine and 1 book. I'll watch the video/CBT series start to finish as an introduction to the concepts, take a practice test to see where I am at and then drive into the book for the areas that I am weak or need another explanation - rinse & repeat.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    BloomBrightBloomBright Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Remember to separate your study material between the 801 series and 802 series and per chapter.
    Consistency is key. When you start a chapter always finish it.
    Set aside 1-2 hours per chapter to make sure you finish it. This will teach you self discipline and you will make a lot more progress by finishing at least one chapter per day with a full attention span than to blow through three chapters in a day and then feel discouraged because you are mentally exhausted and then you put off studying for a few days.

I have a copy of the Exam Cram book let’s look at the Motherboard Form Factors:
    iBrokeIT talked about understanding concepts.

After reading the introduction, now in your own words what is a form factor?
    “A form factor defines the size and layout of a motherboard, its components, computer case and power supply to ensure correct compatibility”. Done.. 1 basic overview sentence.

ATX:
    Advanced Technology Extended (ATX)
    12 X 9.6 inches
    Original ATX 20-pin power connector (P1)
    ATX 12V Version 2.x 24-pin power connector
    Voltages supplied to an ATX motherboard by a power supply: 3.3V, 5V, and 12V.

microATX:
    smaller version of ATX
    9.6 X 9.6 inches
    Backwards compatible with ATX meaning can be installed in an ATX case

ITX:
    Used in small, low power motherboards
    Includes a group of form factors
    Mini-ATX – 6.7 X 6.7 inches
    Nano-ITX – 4.7 X 4.7 inches
    Pico-ITX – 3.9 X 2.8 inches

There we go. Form factors done...

The chapter also talks about BTX but guess what? The Comptia Exam objectives don’t.
    I hope you got the exam objectives like I said because what does it say?
    1.2 Differentiate between motherboard components, their purposes, and properties.
    Sizes
    ATX
    Micro-ATX
    ITX

When you reach chapter 5 on Power there’s a nice little diagram talking about the ATX power specifications.
    You will see this quite often in the book where you think you are done with something but then David L. Prowse gives a better understanding about the components and how they are linked.

Just like iBrokeIT said. When you start a chapter watch a Professor Messer Video about it and read the Cram Quiz questions to get an idea of how deep you need to go.

Professor Messer is on point with his note taking.
    You will see once you take the 801 Exam and pass it you will be like “oh so that’s the kind of questions that they ask” and then you will know how to take notes for the 802. When you do the Comptia N+ you will take even better notes and so on.

Remember you will never be 100% ready. Don’t be afraid of failure. I know the Comptia Exams cost quite a bit of money but you need to do the exams. You learn from failure.
    If you keep putting off the tests, you will finally wake up and then the 900 series has already begun with that piece of SH%^T Windows 8 that you need to learn.

It happened to me, I bought the books for the 700 series and then when I finally decided to take the tests the 800 series already begun and they became even more difficult.
    I didn’t learn my lesson with the Network+ and I had a week to study for the N10-005 before it expired. Thank God I passed.
    Don't be like me....