CCIE R&S Journal: I Want To Be The Best

BardlebeeBardlebee Member Posts: 264 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello!

I have found there are very few blogs and less journals out there about CCIE's. Until I found this site. I am looking for like minded people to help me keep my eye on the prize.

My Goal: ATTEMPT THE LAB IN 10 MONTHS

My Study Plan: I am following EXACTLY what INE is asking of me. Preparing for the lab and by proxy be prepared for the written. Study for 4 hours on weekdays and 6 hours on weekends. I plan to read the books semi-outlined by INE, in that I will read probably 2 hours a day, until I've run out of books and then I will use the rest of the time to lab. So once I run out of books I will do 4 full hours of labbing. I would like to extend this to 6 hours a weekday and 6 hours each weekend day. While I am concerned about burn out, I've been in this situation before during my full time work and full time college days, so its at least familiar to me.

My Life: I work from home currently working on all JUNIPER all day every day. I've been in the field of network security with Cisco ASA for 2-3 years and have been in the R&S world with CISCO, specifically their newer command line platform as well as their IOS XE/XR type stuff. Working on Nexus for about 1-2 years. I currently work in my new job on all JUNIPER gear which makes studying a little more annoying, but nonetheless not horrible. Since I work from home I can study before and after my shift fairly quickly and easily.

Concerns: One of the main things I've noticed from stories is that the CCIE becomes longer then you expect, not due to your lack of wanting to study, but due to life stepping in the way. I am hoping that I can do my first attempt in 10 months confidently. I am also concerned if I am attacking this the right way, 4 hours a day, is that too little? Is that too much? Is 6 hours too much? I guess everyone is different.

Current Status: I am currently at the STP marker on the INE track. Doing Lab's in VIRL I've noticed unfortunate inconsistencies with how port-channels and STP works on that software so I may do rack rentals going forward.

Are there any tips? I will be updating daily (including today) to keep me honest with my goals. Is my goal of 10 months insane? Is it possible? I've seen some who've taken years on it, but I believe that is more due to life getting in the way and more important stuff to do then study hours a day on a cert.

Comments

• BardlebeeBardlebee Member Posts: 264 ■■■□□□□□□□
    9/11/2015
    REVIEW NEEDED AFTER TODAY:
    -Review STP path choice process
    -Review designated (upstream switch) ports affect on choice (for port cost and port-priority)
    -Lab more port cost/port-priority situations
    -Lab Layer2 forwarding (root vs desg ports FWD) symmetrical pathing

THINGS I DID:
    -Read INTERNETWORKING TCP/IP 1.5 hours
    -Labbed the following INE labs 1.75 hours
    STP Root Bridge Election
    STP Path Selection with Port Cost
    STP Path Selection with Port Priority
    Tuning STP Convergence Timers
    STP PortFast
    STP PortFast Default
    STP UplinkFast
    STP BackboneFast
    -Watched INE Spanning-Tree Protocol .5 hours

Total Time: 4.25 hours

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    -I brought up a Layer 3 port-channel across from a Layer 2 port-channel and what do you know it came up! So I further explored this. I created a VLAN 2 SVI on one side and configured the Layer 3 to be in the same layer 3 network as the SVI. I then set the other side as native vlan 2 and a trunk and it pinged! Interesting, I did it on a whim too!
    -As a refresher (Juniper doesn't let you do this) I changed a port in a port-channel bundle and it just disabled that sub port, not the whole channel. It put it into s (suspended) because it didn't match the port-channel.

QUESTIONS/CONFUSION/CONCERNS:
    -I think I am confused on how Layer 2 forwards based on a root port. I had thought you could use a simple (non-root) desginated port due to an ARP. Would you technically not be able to hear the MAC on the desg? Wouldn't you be able to push traffic out the desg over the root? I'll have to test this out tomorrow.

-Looking at the amount of labs I did in the amount of time I feel I am moving too quickly through these. However I know a lot of this very well, but at the same time maybe I just think that. Save for the review items and my above question, A lot of these labs felt like review in both understanding/config.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    I'm surprised I remembered so many Cisco STP commands considering I've been on Juniper for a full year. Maybe I didn't lose it all :)
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Since you are working with Juniper at work, wouldn't it make more sense to go for the JNCIE? I feel like you should get certs that compliment your work environment. What do you think?

Anyhow, good luck on this journey.

Diego
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
    Dieg0M wrote: »
    Since you are working with Juniper at work, wouldn't it make more sense to go for the JNCIE? I feel like you should get certs that compliment your work environment. What do you think?

Anyhow, good luck on this journey.

Diego

You would probably be correct, however for me at least this doesn't fit for two reasons.

1) I first started in networking when I watched Jeremy Cioara from the CBT Nuggest series. At the time I felt like the guy knew everything and from then on till now I always wanted to be a CCIE. Its a personal growth goal of mine.
    2) I don't believe I will be at my current position for too long. I enjoy the work and I am growing very quickly as I am in a lead position for the first time, but at the end of the day, I feel getting a CCIE is still more recognized then a JNCIE.
    3) I am already so close (I have my CCNP) so why not complete my journey :)

Ok, that was three reasons. I definitely will be going down the Juniper road though right after the CCIE. Heh, "right after" as if it won't take me a full on year. I am also interested in getting better at scripting/automation/SDN so I am putting that off for now as well. As long as I stay focused, I won't have to put it off for long. :)

Thanks for the good lucks!

P.S. Oh specifically after the CCIE I will be tackling the SP track of the Juniper series. Though I feel the CCIE helps me in both vendors, I feel having Juniper certs will help a lot as well, so might as well go down SP with Juniper since I work in that space at the moment.
    9/12/2015
    REVIEW NEEDED AFTER TODAY AND PAST DAY:
    -Review designated (upstream switch) ports affect on choice (for port cost and port-priority)
    -Review STP transitions again
    -Review Cisco documentation on STP functionality

THINGS I DID:
    -Read INTERNETWORKING TCP/IP 2 hours
    -Read Cisco Doc on RSTP/UDLD/LoopGuard/BPDUGuard/BPDUFilter 1 hours
    -Labbed the following INE labs 1.5 hours (My slot was booked! Grr!)STP BPDU Guard
    STP BPDU Guard Default
    STP BPDU Filter
    STP BPDU Filter Default
    STP Root Guard
    STP Loop Guard
    Unidirectional Link Detection
    -Watched INE Optional Spanning-Tree Features 1 hours

Total Time: 5.5 hours

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    -Not much this time, besides the fact that I've never found the use for these protocols in production, save for perhaps the bpdufilter. I haven't really used them before. UDLD I've seen used but haven't implemented myself. Overall it was a good day to try new stuff

-I am going to have to re-review STP transitions and calculations, perhaps tomorrow will be my review day as some stuff has stacked as shown above.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    I believe I will be adding Cisco documentation reading to my study chain as after speaking with other CCIE's it seems to be very important both in and out of the lab. God I hate their site documentation, but I have to face my fear I guess icon_sad.gif
    DAY 3: I've decided to put "DAY X" as it makes me sound like I am stranded on a remote island, alone with my studies.

-Review STP transitions again
    -Review Cisco documentation on STP functionality
    -Lab MST with path selection and multiple areas

THINGS I DID:
    -Read INTERNETWORKING TCP/IP 1 hours
    -Read Cisco Doc on MSTP/RSTP 1 hours
    -Labbed the following INE labs 1 hours
    MST Root Bridge Election
    MST Path Selection with Port Cost
    MST Path Selection with Port Priority
    MST and Rapid Spanning Tree
    -Labbed STP forwarding selection research labs .5 hours
    I'm now convinced that everything is forwarded out the root port, I couldn't find a scenario where I could forward traffic out a designated port (besides a broadcast of course) that didn't result in it just going over the root. I need to research this more, all I have is a box switch setup.

-Watched INE RSTP Video 1 hours
    -Watched INE MSTP Video 1 hours

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    -As mentioned above, does all traffic go through the ROOT port no matter what? Besides broadcasts of course I couldn't find a scenario where say two switches had a FWD port on both ends that were NOT root directed and could send unicast ICMP's across. If this is the case, I missed it in my career/study in the past. A neat find but I also want to clear this up somewhere before I go assuming things.

-None

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    It seems I've added a lot to me "STILL TO DO" list at the very top. I am going to designate a day to catch all the extra stuff or perhaps I will simply spend more time on that topic before moving on if it collects like this. Tomorrow I am going to spend the whole day labbing to catch up on the TO DO list above and I think going forward I am going to try and just stay on a topic if I haven't fully understood a portion of it. I can't keep going back to technologies with holes in them.

I am really happy I've made it to a FULL WEEK of hitting about 4 hours on weekday and 6 hours on weekends. Its been hard, but I think I am getting used to the routine slowly.
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    Bardlebee wrote: »
    -As mentioned above, does all traffic go through the ROOT port no matter what? Besides broadcasts of course I couldn't find a scenario where say two switches had a FWD port on both ends that were NOT root directed and could send unicast ICMP's across. If this is the case, I missed it in my career/study in the past. A neat find but I also want to clear this up somewhere before I go assuming things.

I dont quite understand what do you mean... can you expand a little bit? Maybe i misunderstood you but of course root port is always involved, its either sending or receiving, thats the whole point of STP, elect root, then find "best" path to the root and block all other paths...
    Yeah. I guess I was trying to figure out if you could do the following:

A) Have two switches be in a Desginated FWD state on both ends
    B) Have traffic go through those ports instead of say the Root port which would be facing upstream to the root.

Its just a minor thing that I was trying to see if it was possible. I could draw a picture if it would help :) (I mean that non-sarcastically)

EDIT: I could legitimately just be confusing myself on this. But if you have a Designated forwarding port, is it possible the other side could be Designated forwarding as well in some sort of switch topology setup. From what I have seen its Desg - Root or Desg - ALT/BLK
    >>>
    But if you have a Designated forwarding port, is it possible the other side could be Designated forwarding
    >>>

No thats not possible. Remember, there is only one root switch in the network, every other switch has only one root port (port leading to the root or upstream), all designated ports are leading away from the root (downstream). There cant be a situation where two connectet ports are designated/forwarding on both sides. One side must be root port or it will be blocking.

EDIT:
    Think about it this way, in hypothetical situation where you would have two ports designated/forwarding on both sides, that would mean that both switches have already a root port (both of them have better path to reach the root), so by definition this hypothetical link would have to block on one side.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck on your journey!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    trackit wrote: »
    >>>
    But if you have a Designated forwarding port, is it possible the other side could be Designated forwarding
    >>>

No thats not possible. Remember, there is only one root switch in the network, every other switch has only one root port (port leading to the root or upstream), all designated ports are leading away from the root (downstream). There cant be a situation where two connectet ports are designated/forwarding on both sides. One side must be root port or it will be blocking.

EDIT:
    Think about it this way, in hypothetical situation where you would have two ports designated/forwarding on both sides, that would mean that both switches have already a root port (both of them have better path to reach the root), so by definition this hypothetical link would have to block on one side.

I think this finally click for me by your definition. I think I get it now and I am no longer confused. Thanks for helping me out! :)

One less thing to look into tonight :)
    Glad i could help. If you have any confusion left then just ask ;) But yeah, having two sides both designated/forwarding on a link means that STP has not converged correctly, both switches think that they are closer to the root (or maybe even both think that they are the root). You can actually replicate this condition by enabling BPDU filter on the port for example, but this is dangerous configuration :)
    DAY 4: No energy ;_; Cisco, lend me your energy!

-Review STP/RSTP/MST/PVST in depth on Cisco Documentation.

THINGS I DID:
    -Reviewed how to us Cisco Documentation through INE Videos - 1 hour
    -Read Configuration Guide on RSTP - .5 hours
    -Labbed the following INE labs .5 hours
    Protected Ports
    -Labbed the review topics I set out for myself 1 hours
    MST configurations, different instances roots.
    MST modifying what port will be the mstr port from another instance to the CIST based on both port-priority/cost
    MST modifying which port will be the root port within a region based on both port-priority/cost
    STP/RSTP pretty much the same as above but for STP/RSTP
    -Watched Why Route Loops Occur INE video .5 hours

Total Time: 3.5 hours

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    -I'm glad I spent more time on MST, it was interesting to see the adjustment of MST 0 being the decision driver for what the mstr port will be outside the region on the CIST device.

- I keep falling slightly short of my goal based on weekdays/weekends. But I am okay with that, as long as I am trying and not going below an hour shorter of what I am shooting for. I can either be exhausted and not learn well or stop early and contain the information better :) Sleep needed.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    Just glad I caught up on the majority of the items I felt slightly shaky on. I think I am going to take my time going forward on these labs/technologies. More so then I have been.
    DAY 5: There is no sleep

-Review storm-control, SPAN/RSPAN/ERSPAN in depth on Cisco Documentation

THINGS I DID:
    -Read Internetworking TCP/IP - 1 hours
    -Read Configuration Cisco guide on storm-control/SPAN/RSPAN/ERSPAN - 1 hours
    -Labbed the following INE labs 1 hours
    Storm Control
    MAC-Address Table Static Entries and Aging
    SPAN
    RSPAN
    -Watched WAN Circuits INE Video - .5 hours

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    -None really, I am really familiar with all these technologies

- None

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    Oh man, I only got 2 hours of sleep last night, but I won't let that be a crutch and stop me from studying.
    DAY 6

THINGS I DID:
    -Read Internetworking TCP/IP - 3 hours
    -Watched GRE and IP/IP Tunneling INE Video - .5 hours

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    - Re-learning IGMP from this non-vendor book, which is about it.

- None

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    At this point I am trying to burn through this non-vendor book so I can go onto Route TCP/IP Vol.1/2 to more focus on my lab settings. The INE gives you like 12 books to read, but I'm unsure if really its necessary to slog through all of them. The non-vendor one I am reading now is a good overview/refresher and I think it was worth the read. I still have about 300 pages to go, so I may spend a few more nights just reading before continuing with labs.
    DAY 7: One week. I can't believe I made it.

THINGS I DID:
    -Read Internetworking TCP/IP - 3.5 hours

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    - Re-learning IGMP from this non-vendor book, which is about it.

- None

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    I am nearing the end of this book, so I feel I have caught up enough to where I can start continuing my labs and reading of said labs so that when I hit the routing material I will be just in time for the Route TCP/IP Vol. 1/2. I haven't really felt like I've been growing in knowledge the past two days, its a non-vendor book with a lot of concepts I know and bits and pieces I don't... so its slow going.

On this subject I am a bit lost and I may open a thread on some opinions of my reading journey, which is pretty much nearly outlined by INE.
  • Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    I think it'd be interesting to go for the CCIE and get it, but after reading so many posts here about the extreme amount of study and prep for it..... nah. It makes my head spin to even think about the variety of subjects one must know to pass this test. I'll settle for CCNP if I ever get even that high.
    I would venture to say, the majority of experts out there like go up the track with CCNA, then CCNP and when they've had 3+ years of experience, only then will that attack the CCIE. I am trying really, REALLY hard not to see this as a goal and more of a journey. I felt it this week and to be honest many people don't study the hours I do, many have lives haha. I may or may not be able to keep this rigor up, and most choose which days to study and some study an hour a day its all different.

If you look at the subject matter, it is huge. But there is a reason the CCIE is still highly regarded. Because once you pass it, people know you either A) cheated which will be ousted right away or B) you know your ****. Its a lot like a degree too, if someone has a bachelors degree, to me that says that person was able to see it through to the end or wanted to bring their game to the next level. It doesn't mean someone without doesn't have that 'get up and go', but you can be nearly assured someone with a CCIE or a bachelors, isn't afraid to reach or work hard.

But that is all just my opinion. :P

In the end if I don't get it, whats the worse that can happen? I'm better at my job? I don't think I will study for the CCIE if this takes me more then a year, but we will see how long this really takes. Some people do it in 6 months, some in 6 years. Life.... life gets in the way.
  • dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah man!

I've read Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1, OCGv5 Vol. 1+2. I'm starting INE tonight.

I might finish reading IP Routing on IOS, IOS-XE, and IOS-XR, but the content isn't as deep as TCP/IP Vol. 1 was.

My goal is 4 hours weekdays and 16 hours on the weekends. I've been doing well so far. I'm about 200 hours in.

If you need anyone to bounce things off of, I'm around.

Edit:
    I might also read End to end QoS, MPLS Fundamentals, TCP/IP Vol2, Internet Routing Architectures, IPv6 Fundamentals. Idk tho. Some people say to use VoD as primary and use the books for reference when you need reinforcement.

I just read Your CCIE Lab Success Strategy. I'm using the timeline from that. They recommend focusing on VoD from a training vendor and practice labs. They say books are ok, but the core should be video and labbing.
    Everyone journey is different. And good luck with that time line. I can tell you since working at home doing 4 hours isn't too bad on weekdays, but I think I will stick to 6 hour weekend days, so 12 hour total weekends.

Goal is 10 months to sit the lab, but it would be great if I could be so confident for it near 6-8.

I will tell you this one thing. After starting this Journal on here its kept me honest. I'm not exact with my timing, but so far... its only been 8 days and there isn't a day that goes by that I have missed studying and updating this thread. It has really helped me focus.

I'm kind of stuck on what to read next, and as you mention for MPLS/QoS I will be reading through those as well, but only once I get there.
    DAY 8

THINGS I DID:
    -Read Internetworking TCP/IP - 1.5 hours
    -Read Cisco Docs on Voice Vlans/PVLANs/Safari on Macros - .5 hours
    -Watched IPv6 Routing INE - .5 hours
    -Labbed Voice Vlans/PVLAN/Smartmacros INE
    Voice VLAN
    Smartport Macros
    Private VLANs

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    - Smartmacros are not in Cisco documentation, at least not under products and switches. Odd, had to use safari books online

- None

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    Stayed up super late to get my time in. Glad PVLANs is something I am familiar with in Juniper so this wasn't a stretch for me. Going to sleep now :D
    DAY 9: Multilink whatcha talkin' bout?

-Review MLPPP/PPP again, just for good measure.

THINGS I DID:
    -Read Internetworking TCP/IP - 2 hours AND FINISHED IT!
    -Watched INE WAN Circuits - 1 hours
    -Watched INE PPPoE - .5 hours (I am probably going to watch/lab this again)
    -Labbed on GNS3 HDLC/PPP/MLPPP 1 hours
    -Watched INE IP Routing 1 hours

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    - I don't know what the hell ah MLPPP is used for. I saw many of the applications, I've set it up with two Serial circuits in GNS3 (Both VIRL and Rack Rentals from INE didn't have what I needed) but I guess I discovered I don't know anything about PPP and the variants.

- There are so many applications for MLPPP in Cisco's documentation. I assume I should prep for all scenarios, which is frustrating because to be honest, its not a topic I am enthused about. But, that doesn't mean I can slack.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    Anyone know what I made here? I watched a youtube video on MLPPP and built this two Serial link "multilink". I am thinking tomorrow I am going to double down on this and figure out the WHY of this because I have the HOW (at least with this variant) but, I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure exactly what its doing.

I ASSUME it basically gives more bandwidth to the PPP link. And you can confirm this by doing a 'show interface multilink 1' and I see:

Multilink1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is multilink group interface
    Internet address is 10.1.1.1/24
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 3088 Kbit/sec, DLY 20000 usec,

And when I kill one of the links it shows:

Multilink1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is multilink group interface
    Internet address is 10.1.1.1/24
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit/sec, DLY 20000 usec,

So at the end of the day, is this just a Layer 1 port-channel of sorts?

Finally, what is PPP trying to solve beyond authentication that HDLC cannot handle? I will need to re-review all the benefits, there were like 5-6

In other news, I finished Internetworking with TCP/IP and I believe I will continue to TCP/IP Routing Vol.1 and basically only read the topics that pertain to what I am Labbing and Reviewing through INE at the time. Otherwise, you know if I read about things not on it, I don't think it will help me and may waste my time.

This was a big update, but man this kind of confuses me. I would say back when I did my CCNP Frame Relay was my weaker subject, I just have this weird blockage for layer 1 technologies like this... things about clock rates or something... just can't visualize.

EDIT: Also my config super simple:

R1:

interface Multilink1
    ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
    ppp chap password 0 TEST
    ppp multilink
    ppp multilink group 1

R1#show run int s2/0
    Building configuration...

Current configuration : 102 bytes
    !
    interface Serial2/0
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp multilink
    ppp multilink group 1
    !
    end

R1#show run int s2/1

Current configuration : 126 bytes
    !
    interface Serial2/1
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp multilink
    ppp multilink group 1
    serial restart-delay 0
    !
    end

R2:

interface Multilink1
    ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0
    ppp authentication chap
    ppp multilink
    ppp multilink group 1
    !
    end

R2#show run int s2/0

Current configuration : 112 bytes
    !
    interface Serial2/0
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp multilink
    ppp multilink group 1
    !
    end

R2#show run int s2/1

Current configuration : 126 bytes
    !
    interface Serial2/1
    no ip address
    encapsulation ppp
    ppp multilink
    ppp multilink group 1
    serial restart-delay 0
    !
    end
    MLPPP is usually used to bond serial links together. It's sort of like EtherChannel, but it actually fragments packets across the two links to get load balancing.

EC doesn't do that. EC sends a flow over a single member link via hashing a field in the header.

PPP gives a number of advantages over HDLC. PPP has more protocol support (due to a protocol field in header), load balancing, authentication.

The header and trailer of PPP and HDLC are very similar. PPP is pretty much HDLC 1.5.

HDLC and PPP are both L2 protocols.
    dirtyharry wrote: »
    MLPPP is usually used to bond serial links together. It's sort of like EtherChannel, but it actually fragments packets across the two links to get load balancing.

EC doesn't do that. EC sends a flow over a single member link via hashing a field in the header.

PPP gives a number of advantages over HDLC. PPP has more protocol support (due to a protocol field in header), load balancing, authentication.

The header and trailer of PPP and HDLC are very similar. PPP is pretty much HDLC 1.5.

HDLC and PPP are both L2 protocols.

Oh okay, thanks for that information. Some of that I figured out of process... I'll have to look over this stuff again tomorrow.
    DAY 10

-Lab up PPPoE
    -Lab up Serial medium usage, protocols etc.

THINGS I DID:
    -Read Routing TCP/IP Vol.1 - Static Routing - 1.5 hours
    -Read Cisco Docs on PPP/MLPPP and variants - 1 hours
    -Watched INE Videos - 2 hours
    IPv4 Routing
    Policy Based Routing
    IP SLA & Enhanced Object Tracking
    -Labbed INE Labs - 1 hours
    Routing to Multipoint Broadcast Interfaces
    Routing to NBMA Interfaces

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    - I don't know anything about NHRP :D But that is okay since I haven't hit that subject yet.

- None

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    Today helped me resolidify how PPP/MLPPP are working, why they are used and how they are different. I believe this sums it up:

PPP/MLPPP is used over HDLC due to its advantages it over it (multi-protocol usage, authentication, etc). PPP/MLPPP are used over stuff like Serial and ISDN. But this begs the question, can you not use standard Ethernet usage such as ARP and MAC addresses on a Serial/ISDN etc link? Is this the whole reason we are using PPP, because its simply used for point-to-point and thus MAC/ARP is pointless? I'll need to lab this out.

I do need to go over PPPoE as the name implies and figure out why you wouldn't use Ethernet over say Serial, it may be a distance thing.
    DAY 11

-Lab up PPPoE
    -Lab up Serial medium usage, protocols etc.
    -Lab IP SLA/Route-Maps / Read Cisco Docs on both

THINGS I DID:
    -
    -Watched INE Videos - 1 hours
    GRE and IP-IP Tunneling
    DMVPN Overview <--- Decided to watch this just so I would stop moving forward (Next should be RIPv2) I'll rewatch this once I hit on DMVPN, but watching this gives me a good overview of what I am working with in the labs.
    -Labbed INE Labs - 2.5 hours
    Longest Match Routing
    Floating Static Routes
    Reliable Static Routing with Enhanced Object Tracking
    Policy Routing

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    - I had some interesting troubles with syntax on Route-maps and IP SLA, both with applying them after creation. The creation was easy, just applying them to an interface, I forgot how. ip policy route-map wasn't intuitive. I'll have to read the Cisco docs

- None

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    Based on the above, I think tomorrow will be a catch up day of sorts. I need to start planning my day out better. I kind of just jump into it and let the INE guide me, but without a plan I skip over the fact that I am not done on a topic. Going to circle back on the things I need to look over again.
    DAY 12

-Lab ERSPAN

THINGS I DID:
    - Played catch up on the stuff I had in there last post - 3 hours
    - Watched INE Video .5 hours
    RIP Default Route

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    - None

- None

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    Tomorrow is like 8-9 labs of GRE and such.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Looks like you're making good progress. I'll keep tabs on this thread as I'm planning to start my CCIE journey at some point. Good luck!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    Looks like you're making good progress. I'll keep tabs on this thread as I'm planning to start my CCIE journey at some point. Good luck!

Good luck to you too man! Like they say, you don't realize you know so little until you've attempted this journey. Holy crap I just did 3.5 hours so far on GRE labs and... yeah "I don't GRE good"

It'll be something I will put in a weak category that I will have to work on. Even though I come from a background of IPSec VPN's on ASA, it never involved mixing of routing (it was always default routed as a gateway) so tunnels kind of got me mixed right now.
    DAY 13

-Lab ERSPAN
    -Rerun Labs Reliable Policy Routing, GRE Tunneling and Recursive Routing and ODR - On-Demand Routing
    -Read Cisco documentation on route-maps/object-tracking/availability and other tools

THINGS I DID:
    - Labbed the following - 3.5 hours
    Policy Routing
    Reliable Policy Routing
    Local Policy Routing
    GRE Tunneling
    GRE Tunneling and Recursive Routing
    GRE Backup Interface
    GRE Reliable Backup Interface
    ODR - On-Demand Routing

-Read documentation on Route-maps - .5 hours

Total Time: 4 hours

INTERESTING DISCOVERIES:
    - I am not very good at writing route-maps so far, that and ip sla trackers, I need to practice practice practice those.

- GRE man, I only have experience with IPSEC Tunnel, but during those times no routing was involved. Some crazy stuff can happen when you mix routing in. I am going to re-run labs again.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    Either I've been getting good sleep this week or I am just used to it. But spending near 4 hours a day on studying is starting to NOT bother me as it used to.

Also, I am not super familiar with Cisco routing tables but I got this situation where a route said DIRECTLY CONNECTED when it was going down a tunnel, and it didn't show the tunnel... anyone have any ideas? It was to the loopback to R5 to go over the DMVPN tunnel. I mean, ping worked, the route is there when I specify, but the interface isn't shown in the table.

R4#show ip route 150.1.5.5
    Routing entry for 150.1.5.5/32
    Known via "static", distance 20, metric 0 (connected)
    Routing Descriptor Blocks:
    Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

R4#show ip route 155.1.0.5
    Routing entry for 155.1.0.0/24
    Known via "connected", distance 0, metric 0 (connected, via interface)
    Routing Descriptor Blocks:
    * directly connected, via Tunnel0
    Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

R4#show ip route
    Codes: L - local, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
    D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
    N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
    E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
    i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
    ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route
    o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route, H - NHRP, l - LISP
    a - application route
    + - replicated route, % - next hop override

Gateway of last resort is not set

150.1.0.0/32 is subnetted, 2 subnets
    C 150.1.4.4 is directly connected, Loopback0
    S 150.1.5.5 is directly connected <
    NO INTERFACE??? "DIRECTLY CONNECTED" TO WHAT?
    155.1.0.0/16 is variably subnetted, 6 subnets, 2 masks
    C 155.1.0.0/24 is directly connected, Tunnel0
    L 155.1.0.4/32 is directly connected, Tunnel0
    When you use an interface in the static route it shows as directly connected in the RIB. You can see to the left of the 'S' for static, though. Technically, the tunnel is directly connected. :) I look at Cisco RIBs all day and I thought it was weird too. EDIT: OH! I missed what you were saying. You're right, why doesn't it show the interface??