Options

Starting CCNP

SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
Hi All,

I passed me CCNA yesterday and i'm going start my CCNP Switch. I am just wondering, what lab kit I should purchase? I'm thinking a couple of 3750's to add to my 3550's I currently have.

In addition, are there any websites with good labs to practise along side? I am aware of GNS3Vault, however there doesn't seem to be too much on the switch side.

In terms of the exam, will I be expected to configure devices in the lab, or just use show commands like in the CCNA?

I have purchased Chris Bryant's CCNP course and Odoms book, is there any other study resources which I should look at investing in?

I look forward to your replies.

Simrid
Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle

Comments

• Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi Simrid,

Congrats on passing your CCNA - that's a huge feat in itself! You should probably look at buying 2 Layer 2 switches and a couple of layer 3 switches (3650/3750). You'll also probably want 2/3 routers for the route content.

I found with my CCNP I could lab most of the Route course in GNS3, but GNS3 doesn't support Switching so I had to result to buying some gear for that.

In terms of the exam, expect to be tested on Configuring things like Multi-Area OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Port-Channels, FHRP etc. You will also need to know how to Troubleshoot all these protocols (and more) as the T.Shoot exam will test on that!

In regards to materials to use, look at Chris Bryant's book and videos, INE Videos, CBT Nugget videos and possibly another book. For my studies I used Route & Switch simplified (this was the old exam) not sure if they have released new copies to match the exam refresh!

Good luck!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]