Did you let CompTIA certs expire?

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
Did anyone else here decide to just let their CompTIA certs expire?

I have the A+, Network+ and Security+ and they expire in 10 days. I decided to just let them expire. I feel that they have taken me as far as they can and now its time to move up to better certs like CCNA, MCSA or VM Ware. I feel that I can keep them on my resume as no one ever asked me to show proof that I have them and if you have a CCNA, who cares? I had thought about renewing with the Storage+, but no has heard of it and CompTIA decided to kill it off.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My A+ and Network+ will not expire, but even if they did I would not renew them. I no longer list them on my CV since they are not relevant to the positions that I apply for.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I let Sec+ and Net+ expire, but then went and got Sec+ again, since I probably won't get a higher level Sec cert for a little while (maybe get CASP this year).
    Probably won't get Net+ again since I will soon have 2x CCNA.
    I think the most reasonable thing is to renew with higher level certs or other vendor certs, until it becomes pointless.

The Storage+ isn't a bad overview of storage networking, even if you don't do the exam. Might be a good first taste before getting CCNA DC. It also gives you a good amount of storage knowledge if you go and do virtualisation. Also, since they are discontinuing the cert, it won't expire. It also feeds into the SNIA cert stream, but it seems no one has heard of that either ;) But I've never worked in storage, so I wouldn't really know what certs are good to have.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My A+/N+ do not expire but my Mobility+ and Linux+ will be let expire. Good intro to topics but not going to make my career, onwards and upwards.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I let my Net+ and Sec+ expire a couple of years ago. They never did anything for me in the first place and once I got the CISSP, I didn't see it being worth it to pay the ridiculous amount of money to keep them.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My Security+ does not expire.
    Used Security+ to claim credit for MCSE 2003: Security, infosec experience eligibility for CEH exam and 1-year experience waiver for CISSP.

When I passed CASP, CompTIA issued additional Security+ CE cert.
    If you have both CASP and Security+, you only need pay for CASP, and I have fulfilled CASP 3 year CPE requirements with CISSP.

Unless CASP get more recognized and demand from industry, I will probably let CompTIA certs expire.
  • JubeiYagaruJubeiYagaru Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Along these same lines , I let my CompTIA Sec+ Net+ and A+ expire earlier this year. Though now I'm looking at getting another Security certification to make myself more marketable as a junior security analyst. Would you guys recommend getting the Sec+ again or the SSCP ? I've got enough experience for the SSCP, but not enough to get the CISSP without being an Associate of ISC2.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't plan on keeping mine current. Do you still list expired certs on your resume? I'm aware of the whole "if it is worth listing, it is worth keeping current" deal. By the time I get ready to apply for jobs again, they probably won't be very relevant for me, I'm just curious what people do. An expired CCNA from 2001 seems worse than an expired A+ from 2001, if that makes any sense.
    long these same lines , I let my CompTIA Sec+ Net+ and A+ expire earlier this year. Though now I'm looking at getting another Security certification to make myself more marketable as a junior security analyst. Would you guys recommend getting the Sec+ again or the SSCP ? I've got enough experience for the SSCP, but not enough to get the CISSP without being an Associate of ISC2.

How many years do you still need? 5 years is needed.
    Security+ provides 1 year waiver.

Since you are already doing full time security work, I suggest you go for CISSP associate.
    You have up to 6 years to become full CISSP.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Once you have enough certifications or have used them to get your foot in the door, its really about experience. I'm not actively looking for a new job, but I have yet to receive an increase in job offers or a better salary for getting my VCP or CompTIA certs. My company currently sponsors Security + renewals so having that renews my lower level N+ cert. CompTIA will probably convert Linux + and Server + from lifetime certs to every 3 years....because how else will they increase profits on those certifications? When that happens, I'm going to let them expire and I won't be renewing my VCP either since it has yielded no ROI for me.
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike7 wrote: »

Since you are already doing full time security work, I suggest you go for CISSP associate.

So if I have the Security+, does that provide me with the 1year experience needed to obtain the SSCP? Or does 3 years of Help Desk with some Access control experience work anyway?
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I believe mine expire in January of 2017. I will probably let them expire because i'm focused on Cisco now. I really only used my CompTIA's to get my foot in the door for a desktop support role. Now that I plan on moving on to Cisco I don't feel the need to re certify any of my CompTIA's.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not going to let my Security+ expire. CompTIA has a CEU program you enroll in it, then you get CEU's. I am taking the C|EH, CASP, CISSP, which all go towards the renewal of the Security+. My goals is keep my certs as long as possible, which is my personal challenge. I would feel sad if I let one go.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I let all my CompTIA certs expire.
    So if I have the Security+, does that provide me with the 1year experience needed to obtain the SSCP? Or does 3 years of Help Desk with some Access control experience work anyway?
    Yes for CISSP, not sure for SSCP. You need to check ISC2 web site.

If you will be doing full time security work for next few years, get CISSP associate and apply for full CISSP once you fulfil the 5 years requirement.

Ah, maybe I should have worded that better. I'm trying to get into a junior security analyst or SOC position. I'm not currently in security, just trying to work my way in. Which is why I wanted to get something back on my resume for it. Wasn't sure if I should study the CISSP and just be an associate, get a Sec+ again, or work on the SSCP.

I have about 3 years....if I stretch it with my old sys admin position. I dealt with identity and access management CISSP CBK domain by being an AD admin and dealing with NTFS permissions daily. Also I was in charge of our backup solution which is in the CISSP CBK domain of Asset Security. While these 2 jobs were 70% of my job, I was still not in a "security" position.
    I have about 3 years....if I stretch it with my old sys admin position.

2 options

Go for SSCP and submit your application os ISC2 for endorsement. It means that they will audit you. You need to submit a resume detailing your job roles and responsibilities, they may also ask for HR letter to validate your job titles.
    SSCP requires 1 year cumulative experience; which means that they may decide that your 3 years work experience is equivalent to 1 years infosec experience

Or you can sit for CISSP and get the Associate cert directly. The cert is valid for max 6 years. So get into full-time infosec job, accumulate 5 (-1 for Sec+) years experience, and re-apply for full CISSP within 6 years.
    danny069 wrote: »
    I'm not going to let my Security+ expire. CompTIA has a CEU program you enroll in it, then you get CEU's. I am taking the C|EH, CASP, CISSP, which all go towards the renewal of the Security+. My goals is keep my certs as long as possible, which is my personal challenge. I would feel sad if I let one go.

When you take CASP, you will have both Sec+ and CASP. You only need to meet CASP CEU requirements to keep your Sec+.

So take C|EH, CASP, CISSP in that order.
    1. C|EH to meet Sec+ requirements (if you have yet to pass CASP)
    2. CASP to meet C|EH CEU requirements (1 cert exam is 40 credits)
    3. CISSP to meet C|EH and CASP CPE requirements (Another 40 credits for C|EH, CISSP meets CASP 3 years credits requirements)
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I still need the security + for my job. So, I just did CE and I am good until Dec 2019.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When you take CASP, you will have both Sec+ and CASP. You only need to meet CASP CEU requirements to keep your Sec+.

So take C|EH, CASP, CISSP in that order.
    1. C|EH to meet Sec+ requirements (if you have yet to pass CASP)
    2. CASP to meet C|EH CEU requirements (1 cert exam is 40 credits)
    3. CISSP to meet C|EH and CASP CPE requirements (Another 40 credits for C|EH, CISSP meets CASP 3 years credits requirements)
    Yes that is the order I plan on taking it.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My Security+ expires in Nov 2017, I will renew it at least one time, I already completed the CEU requirements and just have to pay the fees.
    2 options

Go for SSCP and submit your application os ISC2 for endorsement. It means that they will audit you. You need to submit a resume detailing your job roles and responsibilities, they may also ask for HR letter to validate your job titles.
    SSCP requires 1 year cumulative experience; which means that they may decide that your 3 years work experience is equivalent to 1 years infosec experience

Or you can sit for CISSP and get the Associate cert directly. The cert is valid for max 6 years. So get into full-time infosec job, accumulate 5 (-1 for Sec+) years experience, and re-apply for full CISSP within 6 years..

Ouch, I really hope that my 3 years as a systems admin doesn't compact down to 1 year of info sec experience. Sure I wasn't tinkering with firewalls everyday, but most of my job during the first 2 1/2 years involved AD user permissions, NTFS permissions, Encryption and management of a tape backup solution as well as doing encrypted FTP uploads to Iron Mountain for escrow, Weekly vulnerability assessments of the lab I managed with Nexpose along with remediation and patching of those servers.

While HR may shrug, my old team lead can vouch for the work I did , luckily he has his CISSP now and perhaps that will carry some weight.
  • jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    I took all of my CompTIA certs off my resume long ago. I recently began to re-list the Security+ but only because I recently earned my CISA and needed another cert to balance out the table on my resume...heh.
    I have about 3 years....if I stretch it with my old sys admin position

While HR may shrug, my old team lead can vouch for the work I did , luckily he has his CISSP now and perhaps that will carry some weight.

You are still short of the 5 years experience requirement for full CISSP.

From https://www.isc2.org/cissp-how-to-certify.aspx
    Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years cumulative paid full-time work experience in two or more of the 8 domains of the (ISC)² CISSP CBK®. Candidates may receive a one year experience waiver with a 4-year college degree, or regional equivalent or additional credential from the (ISC)² approved list, thus requiring four years of direct full-time professional security work experience in 2 or more of the 8 domains of the CISSP CBK.

Don't have the experience? Become an Associate of (ISC)² by successfully passing the CISSP exam. You'll have 6 years to earn your experience to become a CISSP

You need to decide. CCSP or CISSP associate?
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I let my CompTIA cents expire last fall. I had the A+, Net+, Sec+ and CASP CE.

I'm active duty military so I thought about it after the fact and began to regret it. I went back and retook the Net+ and Sec+ and plan on taking the CASP this fall since there are DoD regulations that mandate you have them. It will help later on when I need to transition.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

So... any other cert that can provide such a waiver?
    I read Darril's book a while ago but never got the cert. But I think at this point getting sec+ is "meh".
    So wondering if there is a cert a bit higher up that I could take that serves that purpose.
    meh
    kurosaki00 wrote: »
    So... any other cert that can provide such a waiver?
    Check ISC2 site for certs that qualifies.
    The max waiver is 1 year. You are not allowed to add up all the certs to get more waiver.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Oh nice, a bunch of certs apply. ty
    meh
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My A+and net+ expired ages ago....they were useless to me!
  • PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    By the time they expire, they won't help me with my job search and I won't get any benefit from having them on my resume.
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I won't renew my Security+ either