Options

3rd line - when to train to expert level in one area

rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
I have been within 3rd line support for 18 months now doing a bit of everything - I am thinking its time to pick one area and really go for it - how do others keep there feet wet with everything else still or do you?

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I don't bother with things outside of what I specialize in. Once I got into VoIP. I realized there is another huge area inside of it such as contact centers, presence and most importantly the business of the phones. As I started to grasp understanding the business of what I specialized in my value shot through the roof. I had to let the other things go as I had no time to really understand them. So for me I would just stay aware of the sister areas of your specialization, but spend your time on learning as much as you can with what you pick.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    So I specialized in networking but keep concentrations in areas that networking use as a part.

What I mean by this is I am a route switch guy. A packet pusher. Traffic redirector. Bit and Baud Warrior.

I need to keep up with Firewalls we use and issues going on with them.
    Wireless - My case Aruba.
    Linux basics as we automate a lot of things and NXOS switches and 3850s are essentially Linux.
    and so forth.
    VMWare I learned for the fun of it.

These, as shodown said, are my Sister areas. I am not expected to be a master of them but I need to know how to get around in them.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I'm at that point now, where I'm less concerned about general areas, and more focused on specialization.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark