How difficult is to move from zero to a security role?

SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
Hello gents.

I am trying to talk with people that work in the industry, but it's not that simple. At the current stage I am studying for the CCNA Sec, and I discovered that I really like Security. I was also interested to other tracks like SP or DC, but with Security I was particularly concerned about the employability. I thought that at the current stage SP and DC could easily lead me to a job.

I wanted to ask what certs and what technologies I should try to master for interview and what makes the cv more round for any entry level job in Sec.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards.

Comments

• 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Certs aren't typically going to get you a security job. Security is a highly specialized field, and you generally need a very broad foundation in everything IT before finally stepping into security. That said, Security+ is the starting point most people (and I) recommend. After that, try to figure out where you want to go - general security administration/analyst (antivirus, hips, nips, siem, dlp, web gateways, email gateways, etc), developing/coding, forensics, management, audit, etc.
  • SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
    Hello 636-555-3226, thank you for answering.

I know that story about certs, but at the moment it's the only opportunity to study particular topics and get a recognition of my proficiency in each area. Of course if I will find any entry level job I will get it.

You said that I need to have a broad foundation before I can step in a field such Security. At the actual stage I only have a Comptia A+ and CCNA R/S. Currently studying for the CCNA/Sec. Apart the the Security+ do you advice me any certification track to build a better foundation?

Kind Regards.
  • BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You want to get right into it and get very technical? Tackle the OSCP by offensive security. If you start now, you could be finished by Christmas. If you don't want to go the penetration testing route, just start out with the sec+ or SSCP. It just depends on what you want to do in security. Do you want to work in a SOC and mainly do monitoring? Do you want to do policy work? Penetration testing? CCNA Sec will help with an overall network security view as well.
    Hello BuhRock.

I am actually overwhelmed with my CCNA Sec, I hope to finish by November :)

I wanted to ask you what is your advice in case I would like to start as SOC.

Kind Regards.
  • BuhRockBuhRock Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't want to work in a SOC since it seems very boring to me, but just the normal sec+, sscp or CEH should do.
    I understand that it can be boring, but realistically speaking it seems a good place to start and more attainable based on what I am now.

May I ask about your duties at work?

Kind Regards.