Passed CEH

FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed my exam yesterday. Wasn't a stellar score but a pass is a pass and I slacked a bit on studying for this one.

Used:

Boson practice exams: These were great. Especially for compliance laws and regulations. Highly recommend.

Matt Walker All-in-one exam guide: Also good, easy reading and lots of great info.

EC-Councill Course material: Got this from a class my employer sent me too. Total Garbage. Two thick books full of cluttered power-point-slide type info.

Next up, Linux+ then CCNA. By then I'll be done with my BS Degree as well. Grateful for all the input from people on this forum.

Comments

• ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Congradz! What score did you get?

i plan to take it tomorrow. I have almost fully memorized the matt walker book, did vtc training and now doing total test sim. Getting mostly 85%-90% score. Any tips?

Thanks!
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! And timely as EC Council has just released CEHv9,
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Congratulations FillAwful!

I'm studying the CEH for my MSISA program. So far the CEH books are boring me to death as it has a lot of information on outdated malware and tools. Most of the information is either general or it covers exploits and software for NT 4, 95, 98, 2000, and 2003 Server. So far I'm thinking I have to put in extra studying with NMAP. Maybe wireshark?
    Any other suggestions guys?
    So far I find the material very disappointing.
  • ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    Yikes! I plan to postpone exam to Tuesday 9/22 now. Do you think the CEHv9 exam will go in affect that soon? I studied only for CEHv8 material naturally.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ZzBloopzZ wrote: »
    Do you think the CEHv9 exam will go in affect that soon? I studied only for CEHv8 material naturally.
    Probably not so soon. Just take and pass the CEHv8 exam. Good Luck!
  • SirenSongSirenSong Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! It certainly sounds like your hard work paid off
  • GessGess Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CEHv9 isn't even close to being offered at test centers. I'm in a CEHv8 course right now and they're saying maybe by next fall. ECC doesn't have any study material on it yet. The CEHv9 stuff on their site is more about the marketing team not really knowing/caring what's happening with the operations side of the business.
  • FillAwfulFillAwful Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone, my hard work has indeed been paying off. The parts of the test I had to concentrate the most on studying that paid off were: Nmap switches, and the compliance and regulation laws as well as encryption i.e. which were block ciphers, stream ciphers, and the PKI process. The Boson exams were very helpful with this. I did encounter, as many have stated, some poorly worded questions that left me with two or more possibly good answers. I think the practice tests helped a lot in learning what kind of answer they were expecting as the "best" answer. Also, knowing your sub-netting will help knock out some answers for test.

My score was 74% I felt like I could have done better, but reading about the instant audits of too high of scores has left me OK with the whole not being audited bit.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gificon_cool.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Gess wrote: »
    The CEHv9 stuff on their site is more about the marketing team not really knowing/caring what's happening with the operations side of the business.
    This must be why some of the CEHv9 marketing info has 18 modules and other has 20 modules. I'm still scratching my head that they dropped the Buffer Overflow module (to make room for a Cloud Computing module?) and moved basic BoF info into the Hacking Web Applications module. I hope they add more material on ethics and ethical behavior to the CEHv9 course too.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, I too will slay this beast as soon as I can get $600 and brush up on my Nmap commands.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None