MCDST or MCSA/MCSE?

sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am going to finish 70-270 soon, which is a part of the MCSA route.. however should I go for the MCDST first? As of now I support all users desktops as an IT Technician. I plan on going to be network Admin one day etc..

However should I get this cert to try and land better jobs this way?

Any advice welcome- thanks!

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Does your job require the MCDST title? I guess if you're in the field now, it makes alot of sense to get the certification.

Once you get your 70-270, going back and getting 271, 272, shouldnt be too hard. You have to brush up office applications, and perhaps some of the customization objectives. But it shouldnt be too bad.

I see that you dont have Network+, is that correct?
    The benefit for you if you do get MCDST, is that you can use it as elective for MCSA, which is good for you.

What are you using to prepare? Good luck on your route to MCSA...hehe...
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • sharptechsharptech Member Posts: 492 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are correct- no network+ yet, however I plan to do that for my elective for MCSA as you have said.

I think you are right- would be smart for me to get my MCDST so that would improve my level of skill for my job. Right now my job does not require me to have it, however they said they would pay for any certification exams I take.

I also will be applying to different jobs in the future- so having this would help.

To prepare for my 70-270 I am using the MSPress book. I have used Windows XP a ton w/ my job, so I am going over the things that I need to brush up on!

I will get the Transcenders practice exam and then go and take the test.

Thanks for the fast reply!
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    having finished MCDST, and now working on MCSA. I can tell you that MS exams sometimes might work easier if you work "backwards". When I was studying for MCDST, I had no idea what shadow copy was...but now 70-270 definitely makes it more clear. And 290 just takes it to the next step. Yes, doing 270, 271, 272, then finish MCSA seems a very good move.

We shall work towards our MCSA together! Cheers.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
    Thanks Bighorn - sounds like a plan!
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    sharptech wrote:
    Hey guys,

I am going to finish 70-270 soon, which is a part of the MCSA route.. however should I go for the MCDST first? As of now I support all users desktops as an IT Technician. I plan on going to be network Admin one day etc..

However should I get this cert to try and land better jobs this way?

Any advice welcome- thanks!

I would persue MCSA then continue on to MCSE as MCDST is kind of pointless in my opinion. I have never seen a job posting requiring that cert and why would you want to further secure a low level position such as help desk or desktop tech? By obtaining your MCSA/MCSE you will certified to be a systems admin like you desire. Instead of getting your feet wet, just jump in.
  • geekiegeekie Member Posts: 391
    I have never seen a job posting requiring that cert and why would you want to further secure a low level position such as help desk or desktop tech?

Would have to agree with you on that one!
    Up Next : Not sure :o
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Just remember that for an MCSE, you cannot use MCDST or A+/Net+ as an elective. Security+ though can be used for MCSA and MCSE, and also can be used as one of the security electives for the security specialization.
    Some good points you guys bring up..

I realized that is an extra two exams that CAN NOT be used for MCSA or MCSE.. that is rough.

I could do my MCSA in that period of time that I got those two exams and also have Network+ done.

I think I might stick w/ MCSA as I could finish that in almost the same time that I did my MCDST. Its to bad that none of those exams count towards MCSA.

Thanks for the info.
    They do count as an elective for MCSA. They don't count as MCSE elective.
    Thanks Dan- I think I still will go for MCSA as I planned then hit the MCSE.
    What I am trying to say is, if you are intending to go for your MCSE in the near future, take an elective thats good for both the MCSA and the MCSE. You're pretty safe that if you select an elective valid for MCSE, that it will also be valid for MCSA. Example: Security+.
    What I am trying to say is, if you are intending to go for your MCSE in the near future, take an elective thats good for both the MCSA and the MCSE. You're pretty safe that if you select an elective valid for MCSE, that it will also be valid for MCSA. Example: Security+, one of the Exchange 2003 exams, etc.
    Dan -

Thanks for the advice- it is very helpful! Sorry I am new to this, however the advice you give is great- thanks for all your help!