Remote Desktop Support promotion chance

doublehunterdoublehunter Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good day everyone! It's been a while since I last posted here in our community. My post before was about looking for a better paying and more exciting job and landed one thanks to God. However, the duties that Im doing right now was the same as when I was in the level one, (password resets and stuffs) and now there's an opening to move up the ladder and be a Remote Desktop Support. I'm sure this one would be more technical, though I have previous experience with a helpdesk that handles more than password resets, I'm still unsure what are the daily duties and the must have skills for desktop engineers, ie. (registry, outlook, etc). Can you guys help me on the technical side like if you experienced being on an interview for a desktop engineer post, what are the common technical questions? And also possible answers to help me prepare myself for the up coming interview. Thank you so much and sorry for the long post. I just wanted to give a background on what's happening right now.

Comments

• olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So you landed the job or landed an interview?
    Likely questions youll get will be basic Active Directory understanding. Like different services, domain setups, controllers etc.
    File system stuff like drive mapping, permissions.
    Basic networking questions about dhcp and static addresses. Basic commands in cmd.

Honestly for desktop stuff its more about the drive and do they like you. You will learn everything very quickly on the job so the important thing is to show youre willing to learn and want to be there. Most techs are lazy and hide from work. Show that you will not be one of them.
    Good luck
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Well there are at least two types of Desktop Engineers. Some people call Desktop Support people Desktop Engineers when I have to highly disagree with it.

A desktop engineer to me is someone highly specialized on the client side
    He/she knows SCCM, Altiris and deployment systems. He knows how to troubleshoot or build it.
    He/She knows how to script in powershell, baych, bash, vbscript.
    He/she can package apps and installers. He/She can virtualize apps in Citrix or ThinApp.
    He/She can build a hardware independent image for multiple hardware systems. He/She can manage and troubleshoot a mobile device platform.
    He/She can perform projects such as rolling out Office 365/2013, Hard Disk encryption
    He/She can build PE bootable media for PXE/USB/CD/DVD, etc.
    He/She knows about VDI
    They should be expected to know some server side stuff as well because they will probably be an administrator of the Deployment and Mobile device management tools. Ok back to my video game.
  • doublehunterdoublehunter Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    olaHalo I landed a job and now there's an opening for an internal promotion. I know basic stuffs about AD, permissions, services, DCs and stuffs, mapping, some outlook stuffs, basic networking stuffs, VDI/citrix, deployment, disk encryptions, mobile device management - but no scripting. The job that I'm on right now is mostly password resets again so i was thinking im getting rusty and maybe there are more tech questions that i still need to do some research. Also I heard that they do support Macintosh and I have no experience about mac computers. Maybe you can give me some tips or what to expect on questions like supporting mac devices too.

GreaterNinja, I agree with you on that, they are not called engineers just to tell end-users how to go to my computer lol.

How about some typical macintosh issues that you experience everyday? Any help will be appreciated thanks guys.
  • xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well there are at least two types of Desktop Engineers. Some people call Desktop Support people Desktop Engineers when I have to highly disagree with it.

He/she knows SCCM, Altiris and deployment systems. He knows how to troubleshoot or build it.
    He/she can package apps and installers. He/She can virtualize apps in Citrix or ThinApp.
    He/She can build a hardware independent image for multiple hardware systems. He/She can manage and troubleshoot a mobile device platform.
    He/She can perform projects such as rolling out Office 365/2013, Hard Disk encryption
    He/She knows about VDI
    They should be expected to know some server side stuff as well because they will probably be an administrator of the Deployment and Mobile device management tools. Ok back to my video game.

Having worked as a Desktop Engineer for a large bank managing their workstation image, packaging applications, and writing scripts/programs to assist in the management of workstation, I can say that the only way I have managed to salvage my career since then is not ever including the word "desktop" on my resume. You seem to be of the about four people in the entire world well informed enough to appreciate the distinction, it seems! Everyone else seems to assume that "Desktop Engineer" and "Desktop Technician" are synonyms.
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For the Mac know how to map/connect to a drive/server. Know how to connect to a printer. Get familiar with System Preferences and even Terminal on the mac.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143

He/She knows about VDI

This is what our Desktop Engineers do as well. BIG difference between Desktop Technician and Desktop Engineer.

I would assume if it is a proper Engineer position, it will not be basic networking, ad, shares, etc. As those are not "Engineer" roles, those are "Technician" roles.
  • doublehunterdoublehunter Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes probably Desktop Support is the right term for this post. I just used the term they used on the job posting.