Please help a nube . Thank you

Rain650Rain650 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I'm pretty much a "nube" at the computer world I guess you can say, but I really have enjoyed learning what I have so far. I've been studying for the 801 A+ exam using the online CompTIA CertMaster A+ 220-801 lessons. I've completed all the lessons and have been reviewing for the past 2 weeks or so, but I don't quite know If I'm ready. The reason I'm say this is because I've going to websites where I can take short tests and I come across questions that never really came up on the lessons that I did. I guess my question is "do you guys think that using the CompTIA CertMaster A+ 220-801 lessons is good enough to pass the 801 exam"? Does anyone have experiance using the online version on the lessons? Any helpful advice that you guys can give me? To someone who doesn't have much computer experience? I'm hoping I can take the exam in a month or so.

Thanks guys for any advice you can give me.

If I sound dumb please go easy on me.icon_redface.gif

Comments

• danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You probably need some supplemental study tools other than just the online lessons. I never used the online Certmaster, do they provide videos? Do you have any books? The key is to grasp the concepts and then you should be able to apply that to any situation, including short tests online. The lessons you learn online should put you in a frame of mind so that you will be able to troubleshoot and choose the right answer given you have grasped the concepts, definitions, etc. I would continue to study until you feel absolutely ready.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Rain650Rain650 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In that case, do you recommend any other study tool that you might of used? Like the Question Exam Cram??
    I took my A+ back in 2003, I went to a training center. I also used books. Some books nowadays have CDs which have questions on them. Exam cram books are excellent material. I would definitely suggest you get one of those and test yourself. They provide both short and in-depth answers to the questions, I would recommend them.
  • low-keylow-key Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Rain650 I'm with you on the vagueness of what to expect on the actual test... I've been doing this line of work computer/robotics for 12 years but now that I was laid off I'm finding it means nothing without degree/certs to back it. I've been using Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-801/802 A+ Training | Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses and breezed right through the 801 portion... I got about 98.5% answers right at each of the videos thinking the test can't possibly be this easy. I purchased his A+ study course notes and even watched about 7 months worth of his live study group videos also on his site. From those Q and A videos, I was able to get answers to almost all of the questions I still had because others in our shoes were calling in and talking for the last hour of those videos. There seems to be a huge difference in book material to get you ready for taking the test so I just purchased the Exam Cram book off ebay (waiting on it until Tuesday). After I exhausted all of the material he put out I searched for practice questions available, feeling confident I'd be able to take the test and pass around 90%-100%. I came across this forum that offers 50 questions as well as CompTIA A+ Certification Practice Test 1 (Exam 220-801) 10 separate tests of I think 25 questions. The point is, now that I've taken the first one from exam compass and the 50 on this forum I'm seeing material that was most definitely NOT covered on the videos as well as the depth of the questions are DRASTICALLY different from what I saw/took at the end of each video. I even had the $20 course notes open while going though the practice tests and maybe all of 2 questions I got were in the 9 page PDF. I want to say I was around 50% right after the 50 questions and 75% on the 20 question test... Now I feel I'm at square one as far as what the hell do I have to study?

"The key is to grasp the concepts and then you should be able to apply that to any situation, including short tests online."

Here are 2 I got wrong from the 50 on this site, 1.) never came across info on mircodimm or ever used/heard of it in the real world, 2.) never came across anything about a P8 or P9 connector... also video material stared with ATX then on to the smaller form factor versions, so AT? nope. Now to clarify, it was covered that you may come into an instance where the main board would need an "add on" power connector depending on how old it is but really? The question has no picture and states P8 and P9 as the only info? Not even saying that this is the cable to POWER the board. There were plenty more I got wrong and just screen captured to use as study material but I'm not feeling confident to take the test now... not even close.

Also don't forget to get a copy of the CompTIA exam objectives! the second link I provided has the PDF for the 801 and 802. I plan to seek those out one by one when the book comes in next week, maybe I'll be closer to taking the test.
    Sorry I didnt answer your questions completley. The online lessons do not have any videos they also dont have many picture on how the devices look like. I've googled some, but for the most part I've just used my imagination (which is probably not a good idea) I feel like it was a total waste of time and got ripped off -_-. Ive also read other people on these forums mention using Mr. Messors videos and combing that with the cram book. I was also recently given the A+ Certification for dummies. Do you think that combination would be the right amount of help that i would need? I figure I can use the videos as a visual, the book for dummies as a handbook and the online lessons and cram book as source for test questions to test myself. Sorry for all the questions.
    For the A+ you should definitely have a visual, especially for the hardware part. Messors vids are good. Once you keep testing yourself against questions and getting them correct, and understand why it is correct, then you will be ready.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    And if you need to watch more videos:

https://www.cybrary.it/course/comptia-aplus/
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
    Thanks MrRyte I'll definitely check this out. Is it really free?!
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Rain650 wrote: »
    Thanks MrRyte I'll definitely check this out. Is it really free?!
    AFAIK....haven't checked all the links yet but so far NO CHARGE. icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.