Seriously... when is the 900 series coming out?

G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
Will it be this year or what?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Last I read they are still working on them, so soon there should be an announcement.

That aside, why does it matter? Just take the exams and get your certification, delaying only changes your renewal date, but three years will be three years.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    No, there are other benefits to waiting for the 900 series, the 800 series focuses on redundant hardware and OS such as XP that are just not common anymore so I would like to study more relevant material as I dont just want the certificate, I want to actually learn useful stuff.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is literally no benefit to waiting. Because by the time you sit for the A+ and then work on going for the Network+ you automatically renew your A+. With the advent of the ce program you have to keep it current or you have to retake the exam. They expect you to keep learning the current stuff.

If you wait, you're just wasting your time.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    TacoRocket so you disagree with my above post?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @G.O.A.T...I agree with TacoRocket. Here is why: the new test won't come out until later this year or possibly early next year. The necessary training materials are being worked on right now but haven't been scheduled for released. Often times, the books, practice tests, etc come out weeks and, sometimes, months after the test is released. You could be waiting a rather long(ish) time to get certified if you wait for the new materials to, no pun intended, materialize. For most of the students that I teach, waiting for the new A+ exams will have a big impact on their employability, which is something to think about.

On the hardware side, I honestly don't think you are going to see too many differences between the hardware talked about in 901/902 and 801/802. Sure, there will be differences but let's face it, hardware hasn't changed much in the last three years (when I took the 701/702 exams). So waiting for the new exam doesn't make as much sense, regarding hardware.

As for OSes, a lot of people are still running Windows XP, Vista, and 7...the versions covered by 801/802. 901/902 looks like it will cover 7 and 8.x, but no 10. So, while technically out-of-date, it is still useful to know and understand the older versions well. That will likely prove helpful to you, long term. The only real difference to the new objectives will be the inclusion of Linux and Mac OS X. From my understanding, and it is admittedly a limited understanding, think of the inclusion of OS X and Linux as very introductory.

As already pointed out, you need to keep your A+ current through the ce program. As such, employers don't normally ask which version of the exam you took. Generally speaking, they only ask if your A+ is current.

On the whole, then, I wouldn't delay getting my A+. Having said all of that, though, if it is important to you and won't impact your employability, then I can understand waiting.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    stryder144 I get where you're coming from, maybe I will go for the 800 series.. I am currently studying for ITIL Foundation though, which I hope to complete end of October maybe early November. Another concern is the actual withdrawal of the 800 series, I will have to take and pass both exams before retirement..not sure when that will be though or if I will have enough time.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When the 900 is announced. The 800 will usually be given 6 months to complete. Which should be decent enough to complete the A+
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @G.O.A.T...you will have plenty of time to complete the exams before they retire. If you start studying for them in November and, let's say the 900 series also comes out in November, then you would likely have until the end of April to take both exams. Just remember this, you cannot mix series exams. So, if you pass the 801 and the 902, you will not receive the A+ certification. They must be from the same series. That would be my biggest concern, to be honest, as I would want to have enough time to take both tests. Only you, of course, can determine whether or not six months is a sufficient amount of time for you to study and pass the 801/802 exams.

Good luck on the ITIL exam and keep us posted. We want to see you succeed, so let us know if you need any help.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me